The Fat Chance No Chance Tour

Dougal

Dec 18, 2007
This trip took place from 10th. to 17th. Dec.
The participants were myself and my 2 best Thai friends on 2 nearly new Versys and a 21 year old classic HD Electra Glide. Toyed with the idea of entitling it "On a Wing and a Prayer" but did not wish to belittle the HD. Anything on 2 wheels is great and though I don't wish to have a HD I confess to liking them. By 'anything on 2 wheels' I meant a motorbike not a car going around a corner too fast !!

The "Title" originated due to doubts if we could ever get away from work and actually do it. Well, we did.

We met up in Petchabun not because it was planned that way but because my 2 buddies rode to Kabin Buri (50km past the meeting point) before they realised they were on the wrong road. Anyway one of them had property and family in Petchabun and a pleasant evening was spent with them
The next day our destination was Nan via Phu Hin Rongkla and Queen Sirikit reservoir.
The beautiful serpentine twisties up to Phu Hin Ronkla were a taste of things to come for our intrepid HD rider.

DSCN0548.jpg

From Phu Hin Ronkla it was a lovely ride through the countryside up to Nam Phat where it was a left on R1339, or R1239 depending on which map you have, to the reservoir and a ferry crossing over to Pak Nai Fishermans Village.

The ferry and my buddies.
DSCN0552.jpg

Our lady driver.
DSCN0555.jpg

Signs of tourism at the fishermans village.
DSCN0558.jpg

We met up with Dave & Geoff on the way and rode into Nan where we stayed at The Eurngkum Hotel (B350) for a nice big clean room.

DSCN0602.jpg

In Nan we also met up with Franz and Nikster and our growing group spent a great evening down by the Nan river for dinner and drinks.
The next morning Franz and Nikster headed back to CNX we, with our 2 new riders Dave & Geoff, set off for the Doi Pukha loop.

Meeting at Hot Bread early morning.
DSCN0559.jpg

Rode the still lovely R1169 and 1080 and just as you turn right on R1256 there is a coffee shop opposite this sign:

DSCN0560.jpg

The coffee shop:
DSCN0561.jpg

The 1256 is incredible, unfortunately I do not have the fortitude or perseverance of Capt Slash and enjoy the roads too much to stop and take photos. Nearly all my photos are taken at the beginning, end or coffee/cigarette stops.

At my favorite viewpoint on R1256:
DSCN0566.jpg

The view:
DSCN0562.jpg

Just before Bo Kleua and the T junction there is a nice restaurant and I caught Geoff with the boys posing:
DSCN0568.jpg

Back to Nan on one of my favorite roads the 1081 and we assembled down by the river again:
DSCN0570.jpg

Dave did a questionnaire with some local students and its difficult to determine who is the teacher and who is the student:
DSCN0571.jpg

DSCN0572.jpg

Down by the river:
DSCN0573.jpg

To be continued ........................

Nov 7, 2007
Was great meeting you guys there; and kudos to your friend on the Harley, doing the twisties on that gave him a good workout I am sure... ;)

Dougal

Dec 18, 2007
Was great meeting you too Nik and my old buddy Franz.

The HD rider was getting pretty exhausted by the fourth day of mountain riding !