The GT Rider North Thailand GPS Map

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Cozmos wrote: I'm using a Garmin 60CSx and am in the habit of planning out my routes on a PC using the Mapsource software and then transferring them over to the 60CSx. Can the gt-rider GPS maps be used in Mapsource?
Yes, but it's extremely unlikely that I / we would want that to happen or be available; which is the reason it is locked to the SD card.
Note too that only the Laos map is currently available via Eagle GPS,
http://www.eaglegps.co.th/
whilst the North Thailand map still has another "5%" to go & be ready for sale.

Auke

Nov 10, 2003
Cozmos,

At this moment the map is not ready for Mapsource but it is relatively easy to adjust things so that it can be installed in Mapsource. However, the map at present does not auto-route so you get only straight lines between the different points.

I do have the software to make auto-routing possible where you can indicate the Start and the End point of a trip and any other point in between and the program will calculate either the fastest or the shortest route between those points. However, this involves a lot of work as for every road in the map (now over 12,000) I will have to indicate the speed limit of each road as well as the road class. In addition for every junction I will have to indicate the turn restriction (no left or right turn allowed, etc.). To be honest it can be done but it is not something I will do unless there are a lot of requests for that option.

It should also be noted that, as the map only covers a part of Thailand and is weak in urban areas, it will be best to use the map in combination with a GPS map for Thailand. This can be the ESRI-Garmin Thailand map or the South-East Asia map made by Garmin. Both of these maps can be found on the Internet and are good in urban areas but leave something to be desired in rural areas in particular near the borders. The GT Rider North Thailand map is planned to be transparent and will have a special code inserted so that this map is always on top of the other Thailand GPS map.

The map is almost finished - just putting the last bits and pieces in today - and after testing will be available through Eagle GPS probably by the middle of next week.

HTH

Auke

Nov 10, 2003
Davidfl wrote: Yes, but it's extremely unlikely that I / we would want that to happen or be available; which is the reason it is locked to the SD card.
Sorry, had not seen the reply by David and apologies if these replies appear to be contradictory and maybe confusing to you.

At this point in time I am not sure if the North Thailand map will be available locked on an SD card. The reason for this is that the user will then not be able to use it in combination with the ESRI-Garmin or S.E. Asia map which I feel would be useful for people without having to swap the SD or Micro-SD card in the field. We will need to have some more discussions here to get the definitive answer on the how and in what form the map will be available.

Cozmos

May 27, 2010
Auke wrote: [quote quote=Davidfl]Yes, but it's extremely unlikely that I / we would want that to happen or be available; which is the reason it is locked to the SD card.
Sorry, had not seen the reply by David and apologies if these replies appear to be contradictory and maybe confusing to you.

At this point in time I am not sure if the North Thailand map will be available locked on an SD card. The reason for this is that the user will then not be able to use it in combination with the ESRI-Garmin or S.E. Asia map which I feel would be useful for people without having to swap the SD or Micro-SD card in the field. We will need to have some more discussions here to get the definitive answer on the how and in what form the map will be available.

Thanks for the replies.

I don't think that using Mapsource would interfere with the users ability to load more than one map set to their GPS unit. I say that because presently I have both the ESRI-Garmin Thai maps and the Rotweiler Thai maps and I am able load both sets onto my 60CSx in one shot by sending them from Mapsource to the 60CSx via the unit's USB connection. Then after you load them on the GPS unit, you can switch between them by toggling each of them on or off somewhere in in the unit's "settings" section.

But I do suspect the piracy might be easier for a Mapsource version of the maps than it would be for a version that needed to be run only from a SD card and was locked to the SD cards serial number. That alone would be an understandable reason to not offer a Mapsource version. Garmin tries to beat that problem by locking their maps to the GPS unit's serial number instead of to the SD card's serial number, but piracy of their maps is rampant nonetheless.

In my own case, I have no doubt that I will eventually buy your Thai GPS maps whether or not they support Mapsource, but if they did support Mapsource I would probably buy then them the moment that they showed up at EagleGPS instead of dilly-dallying around.

Pounce

Jan 31, 2010
Can I bump this to see if there's an update on the Golden Triangle Map?

Well, I guess I did anyway.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Pounce wrote: Can I bump this to see if there's an update on the Golden Triangle Map?

Well, I guess I did anyway.
"Funny" you should ask.....but

Sorry folks, but for a variety of reasons (technical, legal and business) the proposed GT Rider North Thailand map will not be available in the foreseeable future.

It is important to note that the GT Rider Forum has always served a dual purpose;
- to promote and support the motorcycle touring community
- to increase the sales of the hard-copy Guide Maps published by GT Rider.

GT Rider currently has a Laos GPS guide map available from Eagle GPS in Chiang Mai. See
https://www.gt-rider.com/maps-of-thailan ... -maps-laos
But the North Thailand GPS guide map will not be available in the foreseeable future, if at all.

As before, people who wish to assist in the continued production of accurate, reliable guide maps for all motorcyclists in the S.E. Asia region are welcome to send their GPS tracks and waypoints directly to [email [email protected]][email protected][/email]

Inclusion of such data is solely at the discretion of GT Rider, and is usually dependent on accuracy and level of detail, or because it helps fill in a missing section of a map region. In many cases, externally supplied data is eventually replaced by GT Rider GPS-surveyed tracks, as time permits. Externally supplied tracks are also used to validate or enhance existing data, but all contributions are genuinely appreciated.

Note: there's no need to speculate or go into details about "the variety of reasons."
Apologies to those waiting for it, the map.