The Mae Hong Son Loop: a quickie

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Some piccies from a quick blast around the MHS Loop to check on maps for high season.
Dates: 2-3-4 December 2010.

R1095 Mae Malai - Mae Sae
img_2029.jpg

Place of stay in Pai: The Bell Garden.
pai-accommodation-t8142.html
I got to try out one of the new rooms
img_2033.jpg

img_2034.jpg

and what you should note from the two photos above - no windows!
Not impressed. Plus no cupboards or hooks for hanging riding jackets / clothes on. AND I was even less impressed with the pathetic water pressure, that was insufficient to set off the electric hot water system. I skipped the cold shower the first night, but endured a chilly one the next morning.
My valid complaint was registered with the management on check out, & to their credit a new water pump & plumber was soon on hand. Clothes hangers & a small wardrobe will soon be installed in the rooms they claim, but sadly not the windows! Unbelievable how they could stuff up so badly.
On the positive side the old rooms on the other side remain the same "high satisfactory standard" & the Bell Garden will still be my preferred place of stay in Pai, provided I can have an "old room." Good location, parking, ground floor rooms, quiet. :thumbup:

Happy Hour was at "Almost Famous"
img_2038.jpg

and gets my vote for a really cool atmosphere & nice bluesy music.

Dinner was the ex Baan Pai & now the Baan Pai Terrace
img_2043.jpg

the Baan Pai has also been renovated - bigger & much less charm & atmosphere; such that I reckon they too have lost the plot in search of the high season baht frenzy.

At round midnight I hit the Bebop & bumped into an old mate Walter Fenske from Siam Enduro on tour. Walter rode with me from Chiang Mai to Sipsongpanna in China 15 years ago & we had a super time reminiscing about the good old days & that adventure. No GPS / mobile phone / internet & only very rough maps & even rougher roads. How time flies & things change.
True to form I was last man standing at the Bebop chatting to Chart & sauntered across the road to the Bell Garden close to 3AM. It was a good night. :thumbup:

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
DAY 2 PAI - MAE HONG SON. 3RD DECEMBER 2010.

R1095 going over the top. Pai - Soppong
img_2046.jpg

The view back towards Pai
img_2050.jpg

The run down into Pang Mapha / Soppong
img_2060.jpg

img_2062.jpg

DAY 3 MAE HONG SON - MAE SARIENG - CHIANG MAI. 4TH DECEMBER 2010.

Misty / foggy Mae Hong Son
img_2088.jpg

R108 the good stuff - newly resurfaced road
img_2100.jpg

R108 approaching Mae La Luang
img_2109.jpg

img_2107.jpg

Mae Sarieng & The Mae Yuam River
img_2122.jpg

hs0zfe

Aug 31, 2009
Love the photos - and this is a reminder to get out of that chair and head North and go ride!

Chris

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Missed these...

In the Mae Hong Son walking street
img_2081.jpg

a kids band entertaining the tourists. :thumbup:

R108 Mae Hong Son - Khun Yuam