The Mae Wang Loop

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Pottered out along the Mae Wang road a few days ago to test out the old arm.
Found out that R1013 is not exactly in the best of nick - lots of potholes from the wet season. But the scenery is gorgeous right now & worth checking out, for the Mae Wang loop
https://www.thegtrider.com/tour-options/chiang-mai-thailand/touring-loops-day-rides/mae-wang-loop
is beautiful 1 day loop 'n ride from Chiang Mai.

Now in Huai Pong village I also picked up a nice looking dirt trail that is supposed to run up the east side of Inthanon, & maybe coming out on R1284 the Inthanon - Khun Wang - Huai Tong road. Along the way, you'll probably get a bit confused, if not lost, but have a great time exploring Karen hill tribe villages & steep tricky trails in good forest. Dlevedag,if you're reading this, email me & I'll send you the start of the GPS track for you to check out & finish for me. It should be a brilliant day's dirt riding.

Out the back of Huai Tong, Silverhawk noted a sign for a waterfall & off we went.

211038551-S.jpg

3kms down the bumpy potholed asphalt, the road ran out in the rice paddies, where a group of Karen guys were loading up a pick up with veges. The laughed & stared dumb struck at the stupid farang asking for a waterfall. "Mai mee." Silly aren't we, fancy following a sign for a waterfall & expecting to find one....

211038742-S.jpg

Back on the "main road" we split up. Silverhawk returning to Cnx via the Bo Kaew tin mine & old wonky going home the safe non-steep dirt way, back down R1013.
Laugh, I managed to get back home 30 mins before Silverhawk, but it was straight into the medicine cabinet for some pain killers. Got a long way to go before the joint can handle the potholed bumpy stuff.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
..........as David says, we had an enjoyable ride and took our time taking in the sites and marking a few new GPS waypoints. I haven't traveled that loop in a couple years and I had actually forgotten how far it was.

The road before the Tin Mine gets pretty bumpy and dirty with a number of sections still paved in old brick. Not a place for David and his bad arm. I too am nursing a frozen shoulder so we made a heck of a pair moaning and groaning over the bumps and muscling the bikes where necessary.

There is a lot of activity near the Tin Mine (N18 48.892 E98 33.967). I don't think they are mining, it looks more like a land reclamation project of some kind, but it sure is making the road dirty and heavy mud in some places. I tried a couple side roads myself which led to some hill tribe villages. They all turned into big uphill mud ruts which I was in no mood or condition for, so will save it for another day.

Coming out onto rte 5032 it is about 30kms to Samoeng. This is a nice ride with tree lined views and smooth twisties. I am finally more confident on the DR650 with it's treacherous Trail Wing tires and had a quick and exhilarating ride stopping at Ian's X-Center for lunch. Always a great and friendly place for a pit stop. Ian was off to Pai with some guys from the Rambo film crew (hopefully he will post on that trip) but Suzuki Luke was sitting taking a break from his solo ride on the GSXER. All in all, it was about a 4.5 hour loop but a nice ride and good to be back out with Davidfl again.