The Weather - cold season coming?

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
The weather.
It’s been raining with some really heavy isolated downpours the last couple of days'; but you can feel the colder air & at times it has been well & truly blowing.

40 minutes ago (1AM) it was gusting cold air outdoors at Lek's Corner & the PG gals were shivering. :D

So my guess is we are about to change seasons - a bit earlier. :clap:

There might one (or two) more rain storm a few weeks away, but this could be it folks & the cold season is just around the corner.
:thumbup: :thumbup:

Riding season here we come.

Jul 18, 2010
Will be up North from the 30th Sept to the 16th Oct....

What should i be expecting? Hopefully the wet weather clears and wouldn't mind the cooler climate!

Oct 11, 2009
I arrive the 7/11 and looking forward to anything that's not cold and heavy rain. I just got back from a trip to Germany from the Uk and hours of torrential rain at times.Glad it's getting better for biking over their as really looking forward to the trip.
Safe riding
Paul

Dec 27, 2007
2wheels wrote: That reminds me.
Where do tourers get their medium to long term weather information from?
Sometimes this is one factor to consider when planning a trip.

I find the most accurate and up to date weather info from the Thai Meteorological Dept.

http://www.tmd.go.th/en/

Ride On!

Tony

Jul 11, 2007
Thank you very much Tony for this useful link.

Do you know anything similar for Laos?

Cheers,

Lung.

Dec 27, 2007
guichard wrote: Thank you very much Tony for this useful link.

Cheers,

Lung.
Laos? Sorry- can't help you with that one!

Auke

Nov 10, 2003
Lung,

I am at the moment in a cold and damp Netherlands but should be back home in a day or two and will give you (once I have found the link) the weather site I am using for Laos.

Auke

Jul 11, 2007
Sabaidee,

Thanks for your answer,you're almost as fast as Casey Stoner!

There is no hurry; unlike in NL,the weather here,in the South of France is still lovely and I won't take my Winter quarters
in Chiangmai before another 45 days.

Cheers,Lung.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Well it's 2 weeks on & we are still almost there -it's just around the corner. Ha. Ha. (Jumped the gun a bit didn't I?)

A few nights ago there was heavy rain in & around Chiang Rai.
On Tuesday Happy-Go-Lucky & I were in the car heading to Chiang Khong for a night.
Charin Resort was our 2nd stop en route for a cappu 'n cake. And WOW the river was up..

Looking upstream towards Charin
img_9419.jpg

img_9424.jpg

img_9428.jpg

Happy-Go-Lucky with "that T-Shirt"on
img_9429.jpg

you can see it in another post.

rmbike

Jun 28, 2010
their complaining in loei about rain everyday atm

down the eastern seaboard about every 3 or 4 days

Auke

Nov 10, 2003
guichard wrote: Thank you very much Tony for this useful link.

Cheers,

Lung.
Hi Lung,

Sorry, it has taken a bit more time than I had hoped but here is the site in Laos which I normally use - Department of Meteorology and Hydrology - http://dmhlao.etllao.com/

In addition I sometimes check international sites like Weather Underground - http://www.wunderground.com/global/LA.html and others such as FreeMeteo - http://freemeteo.com/default.asp?pid=23 ... 51944&la=1, etc.

Jul 11, 2007
Thank you very much Auke,
If I had that one 2 years ago,I would have stayed looking at the Mekong on Xmas day instead of being soaked all day to
Luang Nam Tha for my first ride on the newly paved road.And, it has been the only rainy day in a month!
And I lost face because I had promised the other guy a dry ride in that season.

Cheers, Lung.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Temperatures Drop in Northern Thailand
http://www.tannetwork.tv/tan/ViewData.a ... ID=1036629
UPDATE : 28 October 2010
The Weather Department is warning of cooler temperatures in the northern provinces of Thailand. Doi Inthanon National Park in Chiang Mai province will see temperatures drop to 10 degrees Celsius today.

Experts say this coming winter will be the coldest Thailand has experienced in decades.

Oct 11, 2009
Well its hard frost every morning (UK) here with the odd hail storm to make the riding more intresting so I cant wait to arrive next week its got to be warmer so postive thoughts will do it.

Safe riding

Paul

Feb 15, 2009
Davidfl wrote:
Experts say this coming winter will be the coldest Thailand has experienced in decades.
Crikey...maybe I should just take the missus and go lie on the beach at Koh Chang, instead of showing her Northern Thailand!! Tell me it's at least going to be mild during the day!!