Thoed Thai Khun Sa

Discussion in 'Northern Thailand - Road Trip Reports' started by DavidFL, Jan 8, 2010.

1. DavidFL

DavidFL Administrator Staff Member

Just in from a night in Thoed Thai checking up on John / Rim Taan / The old Khun Sa Camp-Museum....

and it was c-o-o-l, but absolutely superb weather.

If you don't know about Thoed Thai & Khun Sa, go here
    http://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorc ... t3096.html
    and
    http://www.doi-mae-salong.com/thoed-tha ... um-warlord

The entrance to Thoed Thai
    [​IMG]

Thoed Thai is one of my favourite places in North Thailand. If you like Doi Mae Salong at all, then check out Thoed Thai as it is what Doi Mae Salong was like 10+ years ago.
    The Rim Taan guesthouse is a beauty, literally right on the banks of the lovely Mae Kham river.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thoed Thai early morning from Wat Kha Kham
    [​IMG]

Wat Kha Kham
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (hard to believe I was up eh lads? But indeed I was up at the crack of dawn & snapping away in the early morning market)

The sun’s up
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Don’t mess with me brother!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Geckos for breakfast?
    [​IMG]

A breakfast snack in the morning at the market
    [​IMG]

A real GT Rider brekky back at the Rim Taan
    [​IMG]

more to come, but I reckon the image size should be reduced..

2. Loading...

3. tonykiwi

tonykiwi Ol'Timer

Fantastic David. Looks like another one for the itinerary in June. I'll work on a decent three or four day loop.

Also had the opportunity to check out Rhodies previous report and those attached to the thread, what a wonderful history.

T

4. DavidFL

An Akha knife customer in the early morning market

[​IMG]

A food vendor
    [​IMG]

At night time in Thoed Thai you can also join in the local Chinese language classes with the kids
    [​IMG]

And the kids don't mind the farang visitors
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And if this is a bit timid, then you can always hit the Soom Hua "Pub & Restaurant," which as "GT Rider luck" would have it had its grand opening the night I was there with my brother.
    [​IMG]

The Soom Hua is run by the local nurses / medical staff from the Thoed Thai hospital, & there's no doubt they know how to party & enjoy the good life in Thoed Thai.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

If this is not your cup of tea, then there's the Thoed Thai mosque to visit
    [​IMG]

We also caught the local school band practising their tunes & synchronized movements.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last but not least "The Big Bronze Buddha"
    [​IMG]
    Phra Song Chai Rattana Palang Paen Din.

[​IMG]
    is definitely worth a look. And I don't doubt there's a good story on how the Buddha image got there....

The small park - garden there is interesting
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

from which there are splendid views of Thoed Thai.
    [​IMG]

The main viharn
    [​IMG]

there are also numerous smaller ones on the perimeter of the site housing various beautiful images
    [​IMG]

A lot of work has been done in the last few months. Compare the image above to the one below
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yes sir, apart from Khun Sa's old camp-headquarters you can put Thoed Thai on your list of must see & do places in North Thailand. Check it out soon - you can't claim to be a real Golden Triangle rider until you've done Thoed Thai & Khun Sa's camp.

Khun Sa was the one who gave the GT it's name & reputation. He's now dead & gone, but his camp & old base is still there for all to see. The museum display has been greatly improved with more photographic displays of Khun Sa, his life & that of the Shan states in Burma. It is all well worth researching to understand the Golden Triangle history. Start here
    http://www.doi-mae-salong.com/thoed-tha ... um-warlord
    if you like.

5. helbob

helbob Ol'Timer

Very nice!
    In february i will go this way :D

6. Jurgen

Jurgen Ol'Timer

Ah ha! Very nice. Just found it now that I am back. Have also some pictures in the box but it will take time, as always. I liked the loop and of course the Rim Taan :)

7. helbob

helbob Ol'Timer

I think i took this picture on the way to Thoed Thai. Does anybody know what is it, a temple?

[​IMG]

8. Jurgen

Jurgen Ol'Timer

Yes, It is just at the entrance of the village, I have also noticed it last week. I think that it is the hill with the catholic church, but I only went to the next hill, with the Buddhist temple :( ! I am sure David_fl knows in detail.

9. DavidFL

He's working on it & he'll have an answer after Shan New Year. :)

10. Jurgen

Jurgen Ol'Timer

Watching the report again from Laos, during a lazy "Manychan" afternoon. I am envious that you can upload your stories so fast. Mine will take another six month (it is in waiting list).

I am sorry that I missed the geckos, but at least I got the GTR breakfat at Rim Taan!