TomTom Rider 2

Tomo

Sep 13, 2006
Hello to all!

It's been nearly a year since Lizzie and I were in CM but I'm happy to say that we will return in mid January!

Hurrah I hear you say.........oh er, no...that was just an echo.

Anyway, does anyone know if I can get mapping for my TomTom Rider 2 GPS to cover Northern Thailand? My navigational skills leave a lot to be desired and I plan to do at least one of Jonnada's routes this time (yes Jon, 'Must try harder', I know...) and the Mae Hon Song loop as well.

As ever, guidance would be gratefully received.

Best wishes,

Tomo.

Auke

Nov 10, 2003
No such luck as Tom Tom has not reached Thailand yet. Maybe you can borrow a GPS from one of the GT Riders and load some of the freely available maps - seen the new Thai Street Map version 8.0 freely available in all kinds of versions (Thai, English both for the PC, mobile applications and Garmin GPS)

May 25, 2006
HuaHin
Hi Friend,

I think you can load the MAP KING software and Thailand maps on a TOM TOM 2, you'll need to save at least the TOM TOM software first. Tell me if you are interested we can PM.

Tomo

Sep 13, 2006
Hi Laurent,

That is interesting - do you know of someone who has successfully done this?

Cheers,

Tomo.

Auke

Nov 10, 2003
Have been reading somewhere that this is possible. keep in mind though the the Mapking maps for Thailand do not cover every area. Bangkok seems to be covered quite well but the countryside isn't covered that well ans that is the area you are interested in.

Maybe Azoulay will chip in with more information as he brought up the use of Mapking maps in Tom-Tom - I am more into the garmin maps stuff

May 25, 2006
HuaHin
Hi Friends,

In fact I load this software -MAP KING Thaland- on different equiments working under Windows Mobile 5.0 and 6.0:

-QTEK 9100 with 2 gigas Mini SD + Bluthooth GPS Receiver BT 338
-HTC 3600 with 4 gigas Mini SD (internal GPS receiver)
-HTC Touch with 4 gigas Micro SD + Bluthooth Receiver

This works perfectly, smoothly with no problem; now the fact if it's cover whole Thailand, I don't know, as I use it in:

-Bangkok it works perfectly and guide me wher I want to go and return me to my base
-To and in Pattaya from Bangkok, same
-To Pak Chon // Kao Yai from Bangkok, same
-To and in Chiang Mai, from Bangkok, same

For me tha's quite enough, if I would need more, then I would use the compass function of my GPSs and use some David's wonderfull maps.

I have load also on a Tom Tom set the MAP KING for Hong Kong na dit works well, but I don't use it in Thailand.

Anywaay just imagine you would like to try it PM me. This soft I aquired in 2006 alredy was a good return for money and I think that now they update it by new versions.