Trying to buy an aftermarket exhaust and ECU for my Honda CRF 250 L PLEASE HELP ME :)

Mar 12, 2013
Hello everyone!

I am living in Vientiane, Laos and have a brand new Honda CRF 250 L. I've had the bike only around 7 weeks but I'm wanting to do a couple of modifications :D These starting off with an exhaust and ECU or tuning box but I'm not having much luck so am after some help please.

I am perfectly aware that I'm not going to find anything in Laos so have been looking in Thailand (Online) And found a couple of nice products!

The first is the Ben 740 Exhaust which from what I understand and from the videos I have seen are very good quality and not too loud (Important here!) Anyhow I've tried to order one but it's a nightmare as they never ever seem to answer there phone! The shop is in Nan which I believe to be in Chiang Mai? Below is a link to a picture of what I am after:

http://upic.me/i/av/img_9546.jpg

The second is an API Tech ECU which again looks very impressive! My wife phoned up the company to try and order but she couldn't understand the guy as apparently he was speaking a southern dialect of Thai? So again I don't seem to be able to get anywhere! Below is a link to the ECU I am after:

http://www.apitechonline.com/Shopping/index.php?route=product/product&path=116&product_id=243

So could someone please help? I have an address in Nong Khai to send the items to and then will go an collect them from there, as regards payment I'm hoping Paypal should be OK?

I found this video which appears to be of the API Tech and Ben 740 Exhaust combination that I am after:

http://www.songtoday.com/rZ2YfNNVA7o_%E0%B8%97%E0%B8%94%E0%B8%AA%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%9A%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%A5%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%87%E0%B9%84%E0%B8%9F%E0%B9%81%E0%B8%95%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%87-api-crf-ben.html

If anyone can help it will be greatly appreciated! And I shall buy you some beers and show you around if you come to Vientiane :thumbup:

Thanks in advance :thumbup:

Mar 6, 2013
supernova-dw;288674 said:
Hello everyone!

I am living in Vientiane, Laos and have a brand new Honda CRF 250 L. I've had the bike only around 7 weeks but I'm wanting to do a couple of modifications :D These starting off with an exhaust and ECU or tuning box but I'm not having much luck so am after some help please.

I am perfectly aware that I'm not going to find anything in Laos so have been looking in Thailand (Online) And found a couple of nice products!

The first is the Ben 740 Exhaust which from what I understand and from the videos I have seen are very good quality and not too loud (Important here!) Anyhow I've tried to order one but it's a nightmare as they never ever seem to answer there phone! The shop is in Nan which I believe to be in Chiang Mai? Below is a link to a picture of what I am after:

The second is an API Tech ECU which again looks very impressive! My wife phoned up the company to try and order but she couldn't understand the guy as apparently he was speaking a southern dialect of Thai? So again I don't seem to be able to get anywhere! Below is a link to the ECU I am after:

http://www.apitechonline.com/Shopping/index.php?route=product/product&path=116&product_id=243

So could someone please help? I have an address in Nong Khai to send the items to and then will go an collect them from there, as regards payment I'm hoping Paypal should be OK?

I found this video which appears to be of the API Tech and Ben 740 Exhaust combination that I am after:

http://www.songtoday.com/rZ2YfNNVA7o_ทดสอบกล่องไฟแต่ง-api-crf-ben.html

If anyone can help it will be greatly appreciated! And I shall buy you some beers and show you around if you come to Vientiane :thumbup:

Hi I live in Bangkok not far from The Dirt Shop (15km) and A.P.I Tech (8km). I have a Delta Barrel 4 MX full race system on my CRF250L and A.P.I Tech Tuned ECU.
The exhaust made a big diierence to the bike, but it is very loud, But I will try repacking it with a different material.

The Yoshimura System is supposed to be a nice sounding system. I`ve seen one and its up to the usual quality.

I had the A.P.I ECU installed and mapped at A.P.I. They would not sell me an ECU without my bike being there. But my bike does have quite a few mods so that may be why. I checked out the link and the photo of the ECU and the one on my bike looks completely different to the one on the link.....

They installed a loom extension and with the standard ECU connected to the new loom but in its original location under the Tank side panel next to the radiator header tank. They ran the loom extension to under the seat and installed the A.P.I ECU there. Then they plugged in a lap top and mapped it to my requirements.
Just for your information on top of their standard A.P.I map they changed the fuel / air ratio, advanced the ignition timing, and raised the rev limiter. As I have modifed the air box, removed all the emission equipment, have the MX race system and have the 38mm throttle body and injector from a CBR250R on the bike.

It has all made a huge difference for not a lot of money. Its like night and day compared to the standard bike. Only down side the bike is very very loud......and I will have to do something about it

I hope the infor helps.

Steve

Mar 6, 2013
Hello everyone!

http://www.songtoday.com/rZ2YfNNVA7o_ทดสอบกล่องไฟแต่ง-api-crf-ben.html

[ Hi I have a CRF250L and I have done several mods to my bike. including the exhaust and ECU. The exhaust I brought at Dirtshop in Thaiiland as it`s close to where I live and the ECU I got from A.P.I Tech. These two things made a lot of difference. The exuast is a Delta Barrel 4, it too loud as it`s a MX race system. It was the only one availabke at the time. Works well though. I will repack the muffler to change the exhuast note. The ECU as I said came from A.P.I Tech, again close to me. This in turn made a huge diffence to the bike. It`s well worth doing.
Just for your information, I`ve also removed all the emission equipment modified the airbox, changed the throttle body complete with injector to the larger CBR250R throttle body. The difference between the standard bike and the modified bike is night and day.
I hope this help you
Steve

02_zpsebbc1b58.jpg

01_zpsc1c9e05b.jpg
]

Dec 27, 2007
It sounds like you know what you want to buy and what you're really looking for is a translator so that you can place the order?

Mar 12, 2013
I guess you a right yeh. As I mentioned my wife has tried to call for me and never gets an answer from the exhaust place and says that when she called regarding the ECU That the guy was speaking a strange dialect of Thai that she could not understand. Really wanting to get these couple of mods but it seems to be a nightmare to actually order them....

Aug 29, 2011
supernova-dw;288674 wrote:

Hi, the head tech man at APi is called Khun Patapong 080 4070 222 he is the only man at APi that knows everything & can always help with any problem!! He is from Suratthani & speaks easy to understand Thai. He can post the ecu to you & you pay at the post office for it is one option or transfer money to APi via an ATM to him, which is how i bought my 1st APi ecu from them.

Don't be tempted to buy the APi programmable "unlimited" ecu....it is incredibly complicated to use!! I'm good with electronics & computer programs but the "unlimited' instructions are badly translated & the program is glitchy & really really hard to tune with. :crazy:

The standard APi "fixed" unit ecu is what you want & it simply advances the ignition timing a tad & richens up the fuel map enough for any aftermarket pipe & better performance. :thumbup: and it's way cheaper to buy!!

Hope that helps

Mar 12, 2013
Big thanks for the posts! Great information and great pics! Thank you very much!!!

OK then tried the number for Khun and he said he no longer works there. I got my friend in Bangkok to call API Again and got someone helpful! I've ordered the non adjustable ECU on your advice because if I cannot tune it here myself Bangkok is a long way away and I don't have the time to take it for mapping. Price was 3500 Baht delivered which is pretty good hey!

As for the exhaust I found a new number for Ben 740 and my wife managed to get hold of him today :D 9500 Baht delivered for an exhaust system which is made to order. It's not the cheapest but from everything that I have read, seen and heard they are genuinely excellent quality and not loud either. The Police here in Laos are really anal about loud exhausts and of course it gives them a nice excuse to pull you over and get some tea money.

I'm really hoping that they give me the gains that I am after as it really feels like it has great potential but is just a little wheezy and restricted. It also feels like the cam is very conservative so I am going to have a look in to what aftermarket cams are available?

Mar 12, 2013
Just a quick update to say I ordered my parts and they should be here any day soon :)

In the end the exhaust cost 7500, the original quote of 9500 was for the system with twin cans which I certainly didn't want! The ECU was 3500 so total of 11,000 Baht.

I will update with pics when I get the bits.

Mar 12, 2013
Right OK got my ECU and my exhaust is on the way, it's only taken 5 weeks.....!!!!!!!!

Slight problem with the ECU is that all the instructions are in Thai and it's not plug and play, I.e. it requires wiring in....Has anyone installed one of these on their bike? Desperate for some help, it would be very much appreciated! :)

Aug 29, 2011
supernova-dw;290416 wrote: Right OK got my ECU and my exhaust is on the way, it's only taken 5 weeks.....!!!!!!!!

Slight problem with the ECU is that all the instructions are in Thai and it's not plug and play, I.e. it requires wiring in....Has anyone installed one of these on their bike? Desperate for some help, it would be very much appreciated! :)
Is it the standard APi "fixed" unit ecu or did you get some other make of ecu?? Just unplug the oem Honda ecu & plug in the new APi ecu......it should be that easy!!

APi ecu on the left & oem Kawaski d-tracker ecu on the right.
apiecu.jpg

Mar 12, 2013
I got the fixed one, it isn't a replacement unit but a add on controller like an EJK or similar etc...

It doesn't look anything like the standard ecu, it has three dials on it and just wires coming out, it comes with a wiring diagram and instructions all in Thai.... I will post pics soon.

Dec 27, 2007
supernova-dw;290418 wrote: I got the fixed one, it isn't a replacement unit but a add on controller like an EJK or similar etc...

It doesn't look anything like the standard ecu, it has three dials on it and just wires coming out, it comes with a wiring diagram and instructions all in Thai.... I will post pics soon.
You ordered an ECU but it sounds like you've received a fuel injection controller...

Mar 12, 2013
TonyBKK;290435 wrote: You ordered an ECU but it sounds like you've received a fuel injection controller...
Yes your exactly right it's a fuel injection controller, I really don't mind to be honest however getting it wired in and working is leaving me boggled at the moment as all the instructions are in Thai :crazy: I live in Laos where everyone can speak Thai as well however struggle to understand the writing when it gets in to technicalities.

Has anyone fitted one of these to a CRF or CBR 250 ??? Been to plenty of bike shops and no one is interested so at the moment I'm stuck!

Linds

Oct 31, 2009
supernova-dw;290439 wrote: Yes your exactly right it's a fuel injection controller, I really don't mind to be honest however getting it wired in and working is leaving me boggled at the moment as all the instructions are in Thai :crazy: I live in Laos where everyone can speak Thai as well however struggle to understand the writing when it gets in to technicalities.

Has anyone fitted one of these to a CRF or CBR 250 ??? Been to plenty of bike shops and no one is interested so at the moment I'm stuck!
Post a clear picture of what you received can you?

It would have been a good weekend holiday for you to travel to the Big Mango,also maybe saved you some headache from the wife,no?

Mar 12, 2013
Linds;290463 wrote: Post a clear picture of what you received can you?

It would have been a good weekend holiday for you to travel to the Big Mango,also maybe saved you some headache from the wife,no?
Sorry for the slow reply and thanks for your post, I'm in Pakse and then Thakhek for a few days for work, I have a pic on my phone so will try and post it up now.

I would like to take the bike to Bangkok but it still hasn't got a number plate until I get a new passport and get a new work permit so cannot cross any borders yet...Seems like everything that shouldn't be hard is sometimes!!!!

Linds

Oct 31, 2009
Hi Supernova,
If its not what you ordered i would send it back to your mate in Bangkok to sort it out.
Its a new bike you have so messing with this in my opinion would maybe be asking for a problem later on.
A quick fix and more power is what your after.

Although with a bit of patience and some help along with serious web trawling you could probably get it running right,perseverance and patience is a must of course.
Out of interest i am looking for same products with Understandable instructions on set up etc etc ,not API products i might add.
Good luck,but i would send it back to your mate and tell him its not what you oredered.

Aug 26, 2013
Hi Steve,
I have just purchased a CRF250L 2nd hand, has only 1,300km on it. Went riding with a dozen friends on Sunday and got smoked. So have been looking since then for performance tips.
I'm in Phuket and would really appreciate if I could a full list of mods, suppliers etc from you. Your bike looks very much like what I would like to achieve with mine.
There is a guy in Chiang Mai who has been recommended to me, he is suggesting as well as pipe, ECU, 38mm carb, and 13 tooth sprocket to get a new camshaft. Any opinion on that?
Appreciate any info, thank you.
Michael

Mar 12, 2013
Bit of an update to my thread after seeing a new post.

OK got my exhaust on there around 3 Months ago but never managed to get the ECU Controller fitted, the instructions being in Thai really have not helped as I cannot understand them and neither can the only competent bike shop in Vientiane so I ended up buying an EJK Fuel controller from the USA which took about 2 Minutes to fit and works well!

I think the main problem with the CRF Performance wise is that it is stifled by the conservative fueling which is there to get it through stringent emissions regulations, with the EJK it richens the fueling by widening the injector pulses and has made a good difference, the exhaust smells a lot richer and another thing I have noticed is how much cooler the bike now runs! Really amazingly cooler!!!

Personally I won't be switching to the 13 Tooth sprocket as I wouldn't want to knock the top end down as I like doing big journeys on the bike so need to be able to cruise at speed. You mention a 38mm Carb but the CRF Does not have a carb, it is fuel injection so what you mean is the throttle body which some people fit from the CBR as it is slightly larger, not sure in all honesty that it would make much of a difference at all...

All in all what you mainly need to do is richen the mixture by purchasing an aftermarket fuel controller, I would recommend the EJK! It plugs straight in and works instantly, a free flowing exhaust is another good mod! If I keep my bike I am going to buy a 300cc kit for it from America, I saw a CRF with the big bore kit, exhaust and EJK in America kicking out 32hp which would make for a great ride!

As for a camshaft again I presume you mean using the CBR one? I don't know of any aftermarket ones as of yet...

P.S. I would recommend avoiding API Tech! Their customer service is very poor! It took them 5 weeks to send out my fuel controller and they asked for my address 4 times! Also very hard to fit unless you read Thai fluently or have somewhere competent nearby who can fit it for you?

Mar 6, 2013
PhuketRider;292571 wrote: Hi Steve,
I have just purchased a CRF250L 2nd hand, has only 1,300km on it. Went riding with a dozen friends on Sunday and got smoked. So have been looking since then for performance tips.
I'm in Phuket and would really appreciate if I could a full list of mods, suppliers etc from you. Your bike looks very much like what I would like to achieve with mine.
There is a guy in Chiang Mai who has been recommended to me, he is suggesting as well as pipe, ECU, 38mm carb, and 13 tooth sprocket to get a new camshaft. Any opinion on that?
Appreciate any info, thank you.
Michael
Hi Michael. I hope this helps
Performance tuning
Changed the rear chain ring to 42t, may change to a 44t. Makes the bike climb much better, and pick up the front wheel on rough climbs
The exhaust made a good difference to bottom and mid range torque
Removed all the emissions equipment which made the bike more responsive and improved performance
Installed the CBR250R throttle body and injector cap (complete unit). I got a new one from honda was only 4,300 THB. CRF throttle body is 36mm, CBR is 38mm does not sound like a lot but makes a big difference.
Modified the air box for better breathing and removed the very restrictive flash back screen on the back of the air filter.
Took the bike to A.P.I Tech near Fashion Island and had one of their tuned ECU`s installed and then mapped to my requirements. My changes where Fuel Air ration changed, ignition advanced, rev limiter raised. This made a huge difference, cost 5,200 THB. They are a great bunch of guys at API very helpful.
I`ve done all the work myself. There will be a couple of other changes over the wet season. I plan to gas flow the head and I`m looking at a 305cc kit

Just as a note. I have had no problems with API. They are very helpful. If you deal with them ask for the instructions in English.

Cosmetics and weight saving
Graphics from Graphics Kit Depot in America ordered on line only took 10 days to make and send them to me, great quality & service.
From the Dirt Shop on On Nut Road, Bangkok, near Savarnabhumi Airport; Red Steel Braided Brake Hoses Front and rear, all the red anodised plugs, covers, front sprocket guard, red silicon coolant hoses, billet aluminium red anodised footpegs, billet aluminium self colour bottom and top chain guide and guard, Front fork guards are carbon fibre, folding red tipped gear lever, Renthal handle bars, Zeta carbon fibre hand guards with billet aluminium support frames, Zeta Racing (two finger) billet aluminium `forward folding` brake and clutch levers, Zeta aluminium sump pan, Acerbris twin head lamp unit with LED`s, Rear LED stop & tail light,
The discs and calipers are standard, I was bored one day so I removed them and painted them red. The standard brakes are perfect for the dirt, but no good for the road, I will change the pads to sintered pads very soon.
I have motard wheels with bigger discs for road use.
The system exhaust is from Dirt Shop also its a Delta Barrel 4 (Japanese MX System) full race system, too loud for road use, I will change to a Yoshimura Full System soon.
I`ve removed about +25kgs of unwanted weight from the bike

KenYam

Nov 2, 2007
Hey Steve your little Honda sounds like a go-go machine! Maybe you need to work more as you have too much time on your hands to play and change many bike parts ha-ha. Sounds as if I need to take her for a ride when we catch up one day in Bangkok as a standard 250cc does not do it for me.

cheers Ken F

Mar 6, 2013
KenYam;292629 wrote: Hey Steve your little Honda sounds like a go-go machine! Maybe you need to work more as you have too much time on your hands to play and change many bike parts ha-ha. Sounds as if I need to take her for a ride when we catch up one day in Bangkok as a standard 250cc does not do it for me.

cheers Ken F
Hi Ken....haha I know with that 28/14 roster I have 14 days to play with the bikes....In the process of working on the SD at the moment.....stop by for a ride and a beer when your coming though Min Buri

Steve