Trying to buy an aftermarket exhaust and ECU for my Honda CRF 250 L PLEASE HELP ME :)

Aug 26, 2013
HI Steve,
Many thanks for your VERY helpful answer to my query. Apologies for delay in responding, I've been busy taking your advice.
To date I've removed snorkel from the top of air-box, flashback screen, blinkers, back side plastics including toolbox, pillion pegs, chain guard, mirrors seat strap, helmet lock, taken off the gigantic tail-light and number plate assembly, swapped out the pipe to a Yoshimura, put a big bashplate on, and installed handguards.
The difference is noticeable - I kept up with the guys last Sunday and hope to be near the front this week as I plan the following;
1. Remove EVAP cannister
2. Install 38mm Throttle Body
3. Change the gearing
All three of these activities have raised some questions, so I want to tap into your experience again if I can.
1. EVAP - there are a lot of tubes in and out of this. Which ones do I need to re-connect somewhere else, and which ones don't matter? Also, what did you use to seal the tube fittings where tubes used to run to and from?
2. THROTTLE BODY - I'm concerned about how the bike will run on the 38mm without re-mapping. Was it ok for you or did it gurgle, splutter and fart until you got to API? Also, how much more did you open up the airbox for this larger fuel supply? I have simply removed snorkel and flashback screen.
Since I'm 1,000km from API do you suggest buying one of their ECU's or sending the bike to them for full mapping?
3. GEARING - I thought this would be the simplest... I purchased a 13 tooth front sprocket and for the life of me can't fit it. For some reason the circlip won't line up over it on the splines. Go figure. Take it off, and they line up perfectly and the bolts go in, put it on the shaft and the mounting holes are off center. Any ideas?
Also, I see you recommend a larger rear sprocket, is that in addition to, or instead of the smaller front sprocket?
In addition - I couldn't find the chain link, the chain is clean, well lubricated and my buddy and I searched over and over and over both sides, it looks like it's fitted with an endless chain - can that be right? Anyway chain is getting stretched so will need a new one - any recommendations on a stronger chain?
Steve you've been genius with your posts in this thread, thanks so much - definitely owe you a cold beer or three if you ever make it to Phuket.
Be well,
Michael

Sep 24, 2013
Hello!

Me and two friends work and live in NongKhae Saraburi and we have bought two Honda CRF 250 M mainly for transports till and from work but also shorter trips around the area. Precisly like many of you we are a bit dissappointed about acceleration and top speed and want to upgrade our bikes but not spending too much money. First hand now we are looking for a exhaust system and found this thread.

I see that the thread starter bought a system called ben 740 but when I search on the net I cannot find any shop selling this system. Therefore I would be very grateful if anyone could give me a link or at least e-mail or phone number to this shop.
Alternatively, if anyone knows about a similar system for the same price (7000 -10000) Thb that you can find in a shop close to Saraburi or Bangkok i would be greatful aswell.

Thank you!

saxonator

Subscribed
Jun 1, 2003
Vikingsinthailand;293206 wrote: Hello!

Me and two friends work and live in NongKhae Saraburi and we have bought two Honda CRF 250 M mainly for transports till and from work but also shorter trips around the area. Precisly like many of you we are a bit dissappointed about acceleration and top speed and want to upgrade our bikes but not spending too much money. First hand now we are looking for a exhaust system and found this thread.

I see that the thread starter bought a system called ben 740 but when I search on the net I cannot find any shop selling this system. Therefore I would be very grateful if anyone could give me a link or at least e-mail or phone number to this shop.
Alternatively, if anyone knows about a similar system for the same price (7000 -10000) Thb that you can find in a shop close to Saraburi or Bangkok i would be greatful aswell.

Thank you!

Maybe this could be of some help, if you haven't read it yet:

http://www.rickramsey.net/CRF250Lmods.htm

Aug 26, 2013
Vikingsinthailand;293206 wrote: Hello!

Thank you!
Contact K. Kaveelak at Chiang Mai Bike Shop - I have found him excellent to deal with. He has a Yoshimura copy pipe for 6,300 B plus freight. Very easy to fit, no machining, just fits straight on. That price is the complete pipe with megabomb and muffler. His number 088 252 6608 or 081 796 5991. If you use the app Line on your phone he will send pics and prices to you. You will need to speak some Thai or have someone translate when you call.

Good luck.

Dec 2, 2013
Hi Guys
Have my modified crf as u and then some
I use the EJK with good results, but...,. is the API much different?
Also, can the Dirt shop retune my bike?
Here are some pics, its a project in making, but if you see something interesting , hit me up.
Im from the old school, 70's-80's So cal racer pedigree!

Tried to post pics but NOOOOOOOOOOOO!

May 5, 2012
Hi guys dragging up an old thread but looking to get a bit more out of my CRF, have ordered up the pipe and EJK controller from crf's only and will also be doing the above with removing of snorkel etc etc,

looking at getting the 38mm cbr throttle body also and have a quick question do i also need the cbr ECU to go with it?

also anyone know where I can order as trying to do this in Sakon Nakhon is followed by very blank stares and shrugs, if someone could order for me and post to myself then I will gladly send the cash accross to do this.

thanks

Rudi

Sep 19, 2006
www.chiangmai-xcentre.com
rudeboy, Wait till You get all the Kit from CRF's only installed. I think You will find it is good enough. The CBR throttle Body and ECU won't be necessary and I doubt You would feel the difference with the Kit? If You still want a little more try the smaller Front Sprocket?

Apr 7, 2014
rudeboy;298675 wrote: Hi guys dragging up an old thread but looking to get a bit more out of my CRF, have ordered up the pipe and EJK controller from crf's only and will also be doing the above with removing of snorkel etc etc,

looking at getting the 38mm cbr throttle body also and have a quick question do i also need the cbr ECU to go with it?

also anyone know where I can order as trying to do this in Sakon Nakhon is followed by very blank stares and shrugs, if someone could order for me and post to myself then I will gladly send the cash accross to do this.

thanks

Rudi
Hi Rudi, The ECU doesn't know or care what throttle body is on your bike. It only cares about the sensors attached, ie TPS & MAP. The larger tb will give some increased airflow, but won't be enough to cause you a problem. The stock ecu and injector, combined with an EJK can provide more than enough fuel to offset the tb bore increase.
I've worked with some of the 300 cc big bore kits using the stock 250 cams, ecu, injector, throttle body, aftermarket pipe, air filter, and an EJK, with great results. Minimum cash input, max output for cash spent. Most of these bikes are both daily rides and have trophies from the Thailand Motard GP circuit.
Be aware though, your EJK is set up for a CR. The CBR ecu has slightly different fuel and timing curves so if you change it, you may need to move the zones in the EJK around a bit. This is easy to do if necessary, so no worries... just letting you know. If you need help, let me know.
Personally, I wouldn't bother changing either one, To me, the small increase isn't worth the effort, but that's just me... I would look at a big bore kit, (300cc). Larger than that and you start losing lifespan. If you can find a Japanese spec. CR ecu, that may be worthwhile, it makes a big difference on the Kawi's.
There's a shop in CM that specializes in CR mods and BB kits, I can get the info if that helps..?
Good Luck! Rj.

Feb 23, 2014
Hi DP asia,
who-s the shop in CM that does mods and Big bore kits please_?thanks

DP Asia;298704 wrote: Hi Rudi, The ECU doesn't know or care what throttle body is on your bike. It only cares about the sensors attached, ie TPS & MAP. The larger tb will give some increased airflow, but won't be enough to cause you a problem. The stock ecu and injector, combined with an EJK can provide more than enough fuel to offset the tb bore increase.
I've worked with some of the 300 cc big bore kits using the stock 250 cams, ecu, injector, throttle body, aftermarket pipe, air filter, and an EJK, with great results. Minimum cash input, max output for cash spent. Most of these bikes are both daily rides and have trophies from the Thailand Motard GP circuit.
Be aware though, your EJK is set up for a CR. The CBR ecu has slightly different fuel and timing curves so if you change it, you may need to move the zones in the EJK around a bit. This is easy to do if necessary, so no worries... just letting you know. If you need help, let me know.
Personally, I wouldn't bother changing either one, To me, the small increase isn't worth the effort, but that's just me... I would look at a big bore kit, (300cc). Larger than that and you start losing lifespan. If you can find a Japanese spec. CR ecu, that may be worthwhile, it makes a big difference on the Kawi's.
There's a shop in CM that specializes in CR mods and BB kits, I can get the info if that helps..?
Good Luck! Rj.

May 5, 2012
thanks for the info guys, much appreciated,

think I'll get the controller fitted first then take it from there as it sounds like changing tb & ECU would make little difference.

big bore kit may be something I will look into in the future but for now just trying to improve the stock motor a little.

Apr 7, 2014
Skytrain;298748 wrote: Hi DP asia,
who-s the shop in CM that does mods and Big bore kits please_?thanks
Hi Skytrain, turns out I have 3 shops for you to check out. In no particular order they are as follows:

1: KCM Shop, 089-636-4929
2: ChiangMai Motocross, 081-796-5991
3: Burning Shop CM: 089-955-7727

I haven't had the opportunity to meet any of these guys myself yet, sorry. I can't give a recommendation, only choices. They are all primarily CR shops and are all familiar with the EJK though so they should be able to give you some good info on mods & pipes etc from their experience. I don't think any of them stock a BB kit, they're pretty expensive, but if you want one in the future, I can help with that also.
Any questions or such, let me know, and good luck.. I'd be interested to know what you end up with and how everything went for you...

Dec 2, 2013
Hi guys
I ordered almost all, my parts from Ebay, had my pipe made in lampang , ben 740, and some stuff from china, Zeta knowck offs and what not.
EJK you can order direct from them, if yo are a Thumper Talk member u get a discountt
Shop around, also found Dirtshop in bkk not much help at all and way too expensive, very limited on stuff for the crf, but just an opinion

My bike has so many options, ask a Q

would post pics but see no way to do it!

Apr 7, 2014
Dobeck Performance will refer you to the EJK distributor in Thailand now. Natty Rider on facebook or www.ejkthailand.(Thai). Not sure about the discount, but shipping and import duties are no charge, and speaks English.. Can get anything on the US website, and has inventory already in Thailand.

mikerust

Subscribed
Nov 5, 2003
DP Asia;299769 wrote: Dobeck Performance will refer you to the EJK distributor in Thailand now. Natty Rider on facebook or www.ejkthailand.(Thai). Not sure about the discount, but shipping and import duties are no charge, and speaks English.. Can get anything on the US website, and has inventory already in Thailand.
Very magnanimous of them are they being smuggled in?

Are you sure you don't mean that as they are already here in Thailand the shipping and duty are included in the price? Like everything else purchased in Thailand.

Apr 7, 2014
Yes, shipping and duty are included in the price, whether they're already here or not. The only difference there is the time...
You will get your order delivered to you, usually via EMS, for the same price as on the US website.

Dec 2, 2013
mikerust;299779 wrote: Very magnanimous of them are they being smuggled in?

Are you sure you don't mean that as they are already here in Thailand the shipping and duty are included in the price? Like everything else purchased in Thailand.
hey mike, check out You shop, we ship on FB, my friends own it, prices include everything, or PM me, buy on Ebay and use them as shipping address, then they ems to your door here in Thai, everything here is way overpriced, Dirt Shop was outrageous. Just a suggestion! As an added note, saw a Yosh throttlebody on KCM FB, contacted Yosh direct with pics and they knew nothing of this part, beware of copycats!

mikerust

Subscribed
Nov 5, 2003
Rick,

Some stuff here is expensive but generally most stuff is the same price everywhere in the world. My comment was only aimed at the "free" statement. Everything here has duty and vat attached. I sell some scooter performance parts which I import and have to pay duty on but I try to keep the price the same as it would be from overseas.

The problem for local businesses, as I have a mate who imports toy electric cars, is that small things that weigh nothing and can be put in a small box go usually goes straight through the post office. But large boxes or heavy things attract attention. So for instance it is virtually impossible to get an exhaust system shipped to Thailand without attracting duty, but a small electric (slot) car will simply be delivered no questions asked.

The other thing that baffles me is what people are willing to pay for stuff. I saw a PCX once with a 30,000 baht exhaust pipe from Japan but other guys want one for 7500!

s2112

Sep 8, 2014
Can anyone confirm the adress of API tech Bangkok,
Is the adress on their site correct?

mikerust

Subscribed
Nov 5, 2003
Send an email to Randy (r1.tech hotmail.com) he is the defacto Dobeck factory rep for Thailand.

Nov 13, 2014
Hi Supernova,

Did you finish all modifications you wanted on your bike? It would be good to see what it's look like. I have a CRF myself and I'm in Vientiane too.

Cheers,

Anthony

Dec 2, 2013
Pm me, have some good info!!!! Would send some pics but just dont see how to do here! Why cant send an attachment?????
Rick

Dec 2, 2013
My bike is pretty set up, in the final stages(cbr300 cams and wiseco piston) , but i have the Ben 740 twin, EJK with advanced settings, airbox mod as all should do, 13/40-she is a rocket and now handles ok but...........
raised my rear, have cr forks coming from USA/Ebay
I cant seem to add a pic here, so ask to see--if interested!
Ok, so what is the trick for pics????? Ok, just went to bottom and not allowed to post pics--why???
Pm me if a Q

CBR250

Mar 3, 2011
hockeyrick;303980 wrote: EJK with advanced settings,
What do you think of this?

I think it costs about 8k baht, and seems to be a decent mod, especially for someone with an after market pipe and air filter system.