Tweaking my Versys

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Oh yeah a tyre gauge. The best I've ever seen & used.

http://roadgear.com/digital-tire-gauge-p-40.html

292424=16700-TG100-703-450a.jpg

Motorcycle useable functionality—90° valve head design fits even in the tightest spots, well clear of brake rotors
Functions through a 'double-bridge' smart-chip microprocessor—controls accuracy-compensating for ambient temperatures, humidity and altitude variations
Accurate to within ± 1% and measures 5.0-99.5 psi in half-pound increments
Pleasant voice reads the pressure out loud—audible reading can be repeated
Large digital display—easy-to-read—ultimate no-fuss tool
Replaceable lithium battery
Auto on/off
Five-Year Warranty
Yep it talks to you! Tells you what the pressure is. :p :thumbup:

But unfortunately I lost mine last trip, when I did not securely fasten the top of the Givi Side boxes.
And that is a slight complaint with the Givi E21s, you do need to double check that you have locked them securely.
Otherwise hit a bump & the top bounces open & out flies your gear if you're traveling at speed. Ive been caught out more than once.

I have now ordered two more of the above tyre gauge.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
bsacbob;292422 wrote: Have you tried Pirelli MT60 RS Corsa's David the are terrific, i had a set of Pirelli Trails fitted when i got my Versys and switched them after 4k KM thier stuck in the Pirelli shop in CR for sale if anyone's interested.
Hi Bob
No I have not tried the MT60s because I heard they did not last long. What kms are you getting out of a set of them?

Dec 21, 2012
I the heard the same but there are lasting pretty well for a softer compound tyre I've done almost 8 k with them, the rears got around 1k or so left and the front maybe 3-4k they stick like a bar girl to your wallet!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Mar 4, 2011
That Nitron shock looks the business hope it does you well.
Keep us up to date after you have been on ruff roads on how it soaks those bumps up David it should be great as I have read reviews on this shock and it comes up trumps but want to hear it from you some body in the real world who does real riding.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
David Race;292443 wrote: That Nitron shock looks the business hope it does you well.
Keep us up to date after you have been on ruff roads on how it soaks those bumps up David it should be great as I have read reviews on this shock and it comes up trumps but want to hear it from you some body in the real world who does real riding.

292736=16760-GTR-Nitron.jpg

Well first trip away on the Versys with the new shock & what a ride it was.

The Nitron shock has transformed the bike. It now rides like it is on rails, firmly planted to the road, no wallowing or bouncing around.

Bumps & ripples it now just swallows up effortlessly, giving a plush ride.

R118 Chiang Mai - Chiang Rai is a road that's pretty ratty at the southern Doi Saket end, that has lots of patchy asphalt. With the Nitron shock on the Versys you hardly feel any of these.

The bike sticks to the road, just eating up any of those annoying bumps. I never thought I'd say what a good ride R118 is - but it is with decent suspension.

Even that nasty dip in the road on that big left hander, on the uphill, heading south of Mae Kachan - the Nitron shock just ate it up. Not even any wallowing.

Loaded up with cargo on the super sitting on 160 kph the bike again ran like it was on rails - absolute rock steady, giving a plush ride.

Yes sir the Nitron shock is an absolute winner.

Should anyone be considering a new rear shock for their Versys look no further than a Nitron from the guys at Nitron Malaysia.

Nitron is a UK company, specializing in suspension. The parts are engineered in the UK.
They have a plant in Malaysia where they assemble shocks for the Asian market. There's also another plant in Japan for assembling shocks for Japan.
The shocks come with a 2 year warranty.

By buying a "local" shock you only need to send the shock next door to Malaysia for a service / rebuild. I've had warranty shocks before that needed rebuild & had to go to Europe for free service - but sometimes took 3 months before I could get the shock back & I had to pay the shipping both ways. This won't be a problem if you are using Nitron Malaysia.

I ordered & paid for my shock from Malaysia, then got a Malaysian rider to pick it up, carry it to Hatyai & post it from there.

Another plus using Nitron Malaysia is that you will get a shock built to your specification. You won't be buying an off the shelf shock that "fits all."

Nitron Malaysia ask for your body weight & riding kit.

"Would it be possible for you to provide me your weight and any pillion weight (if applicable) or luggage?
The hydraulic preload adjuster (HPA) is an optional choice for customer. It allows for simple and immediate adjustment of preload without the need for any tools.
This system eliminates the time and effort usually associated with dynamic changes in the motorcycles attitude when adapting to ride with a pillion or luggage. It features 50 clicks of fine adjustment and cost only MYR 750. If you would like your shock to comes with the HPA, please let me know."
MY ORDER
Customer Order:
Kawasaki Versys 650 2012
NTBKK 26T
Type: Hose Remote Reservoir Type
Price: MYR 2,660

CONTACT
Thiam Loong, Ser
Motorsport Design Engineer

Nitron Systems Asia Sdn. Bhd.
27 Jalan U1/35, Hicom Glenmarie,
40150 Shah Alam, Selangor D.E.,
Malaysia.

Email: [email protected]

Nitron Website
Facebook Nitron Asia

3 cheers Nitron Malaysia.
Thanks to Nolan for picking the shock up for me.

Mar 4, 2011
Great report Dave and thanks for info gives me all I need to know thanks Dave and yes this shock for a little extra comes in black so all good.
Happy riding.:happy1:

Wald0

Sep 7, 2013
I'm coming to Bangkok next month 23th for few days and if somebody wants to get those air horns, I could go to Pho Hue market to look how much they cost there.

David, How much did you pay to flamingo??

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Wald0;293898 wrote: I'm coming to Bangkok next month 23th for few days and if somebody wants to get those air horns, I could go to Pho Hue market to look how much they cost there.

David, How much did you pay to flamingo??
Off hand I think it was about US$45, but not really sure now.
Just take a look in the market & get a price. BTW the horns are electric & come in 3-5-? tones.I have the 5-tone horns; & they are sensational.

Sep 13, 2010
On the subject of decent horns. You can get these Lucas ones from pretty much any car dealer in LoS.

9197304909_2583e57ed1_o.jpg

They're VERY loud and work great at scaring Thais into conciousness.

Wald0

Sep 7, 2013
Davidfl;294072 wrote: a bit more again...getting ready for high season, cool weather & clear blue skies.

Extra driving lights

294072=17526-GTR-LIghts-CnxMoto3B.jpg

294072=17525-GTR-LIghts-CnxMoto2B.jpg

294072=17524-GTR-LIghts-CnxMoto1B.jpg

3,500 baht fitted at Cnx Moto Gear.
Those look good!

I manage to find Samji SJ-602 what are 6 tone and SJ-302 what are 3 tone horns.. but.. they are HUGE!! are your current horn same size as these Samji horns?

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Wald0;294112 wrote: Those look good!

I manage to find Samji SJ-602 what are 6 tone and SJ-302 what are 3 tone horns.. but.. they are HUGE!! are your current horn same size as these Samji horns?
Wald0
Yes I would say the horns are on the big size, but I really dont think they are over sized on a big bike. You just need to find a nice spot to mount them out of the way,

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Another couple of bits for riding season.....

1. A small cross support bar on the handle bars

294160=17532-IMG_8250.jpg

fitted so I could add a Rough & Road Handle Bar Pouch.

294160=17533-IMG_8248.jpg

a bit of a "dolly bag" I'd say, but very handy for phone & camera easy access.

The bag clips on & off the velcroe-ed handle bar mount.

294160=17534-IMG_8256.jpg

Bought in Tachilek last week on a Jamesons Duty Free run.
But available in Cnx from Moto Cnx, or maybe even our good friends Chiang Rai Saddlebags.

However I'm now chasing a slightly bigger "dolly bag" & after a map handle bar pouch.

294160=17536-1174891_494135157337667_382631188_n.jpg

I'm not a tank bag sort of guy & prefer something small & handy for quick access.

Rough & Road have some nice little bike accessories if you're interested
http://rough-and-road.weblogs.jp/news/2020/08/2012bag.html
some of their products are available via
Chiang Rai Saddlebags (I think)
Cnx Moto Gear
320SP in Bangkok

check em out.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
800 baht poorer & Ive picked up a Rough and Road handle bar map pouch 'n bag.

294373=17588-GTR-RoughRoad.jpg

294373=17589-GTR-RoughRoad2.jpg

294373=17591-GTR-RoughRoad4.jpg

a trick little piece of luggage I thought

294373=17592-GTR-RoughRoad5.jpg

294373=17590-GTR-RoughRoad3.jpg

can double as a carry bag

294373=17593-GTR-RoughRoad6.jpg

294373=17594-GTR-RoughRoad7.jpg

enough pockets for any amount of make-up & gadgets.
Hopefully a worthwhile investment.
Lets see how it performs in the coming weeks.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
brake034;297689 wrote: David, e-mail send for the bigger handlebar bag.
Marcel
Reply sent. I can EMS to you. Happy to get my money back. 800 baht.
It's a real trick bag, but too big for me. Tried it once, but love the smaller one.

Davidfl;294373 wrote: 800 baht poorer & Ive picked up a Rough and Road handle bar map pouch 'n bag.

294373=17588-GTR-RoughRoad.jpg

294373=17589-GTR-RoughRoad2.jpg

294373=17591-GTR-RoughRoad4.jpg

a trick little piece of luggage I thought

294373=17592-GTR-RoughRoad5.jpg

294373=17590-GTR-RoughRoad3.jpg

can double as a carry bag

294373=17593-GTR-RoughRoad6.jpg

294373=17594-GTR-RoughRoad7.jpg

enough pockets for any amount of make-up & gadgets.
Hopefully a worthwhile investment.
Lets see how it performs in the coming weeks.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
An extra special bit of tweaking after my second tumble from the Versys.
Getting the bike blessed at last:

298321=18902-GTR-Bike-Blessing-ThoedThai.jpg

298321=18903-GTR-Bike-Blessing-ThoedThai-2.jpg

Done at Wat Kha Kham in Thoed Thai.

Power On. sent from Sony Xperia AcroS

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Recently in Nan for an overnighter to catch up to friends.

Business done & after brekky at my favourite Hot Bread hopped on the bike, fully kitted up to head to Pua & it would not start.
Damn. An electrical short I thought - possibly in the emergency kill switch as there was plenty of electrical power & the starter was turning over well, but nothing was happening.

I sat down, took a break read the paper & tried again several times - hoping for the best.
The previous night here had been a huge storm with torrential rain whilst dining at the Sanian Riverside restaurant & the bike was well & truly waterlogged out in the rain.
After numerous starting attempts the battery was starting to tire.

Next step for me then off to the Kawa dealer just down a km the road, but before I push the bike there better to check that the mechanic will work on the bike for me straight away.
I borrow Hot Breads scooter & pop over to Kawa - the mechanic is at lunch. Please come back after lunch.

Back to Hot Bread, return the scooter & I saunter off to check out a couple of temples to kill time.

1.15Pm borrow Hot Bread's scooter & back to Kawa - the mechanic has gone out on an emergency call, please come back again later. Hhmmh - it could be one of those days coming up.

Back to Hot Bread & for something to do I hit the Versys starter once again & it fires up like new & idles perfectly.
Good luck - must have been water in somewhere just as I thought?

So kit back up & head over to Kawa to pick up a can of WD40 & let the mechanic know - never mind.

Back on the bike to head to Pua & the bike won't start.
Oh shit. But perfect I thought; just how I needed it right at the Kawa shop & in the workshop.

20 minutes later Kawa drop me & my luggage back at the Dheveraj hotel to check again & let the mechanic do his thing at his own pace.

299153=19135-GTR-VersysFuel3.jpg

299153=19134-GTR-VersysFuel2.jpg

to be continued..

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Davidfl;299153 wrote: Recently in Nan for an overnighter to catch up to friends.

Business done & after brekky at my favourite Hot Bread hopped on the bike, fully kitted up to head to Pua & it would not start.
Damn. An electrical short I thought - possibly in the emergency kill switch as there was plenty of electrical power & the starter was turning over well, but nothing was happening.

I sat down, took a break read the paper & tried again several times - hoping for the best.
The previous night here had been a huge storm with torrential rain whilst dining at the Sanian Riverside restaurant & the bike was well & truly waterlogged out in the rain.
After numerous starting attempts the battery was starting to tire.

Next step for me then off to the Kawa dealer just down a km the road, but before I push the bike there better to check that the mechanic will work on the bike for me straight away.
I borrow Hot Breads scooter & pop over to Kawa - the mechanic is at lunch. Please come back after lunch.

Back to Hot Bread, return the scooter & I saunter off to check out a couple of temples to kill time.

1.15Pm borrow Hot Bread's scooter & back to Kawa - the mechanic has gone out on an emergency call, please come back again later. Hhmmh - it could be one of those days coming up.

Back to Hot Bread & for something to do I hit the Versys starter once again & it fires up like new & idles perfectly.
Good luck - must have been water in somewhere just as I thought?

So kit back up & head over to Kawa to pick up a can of WD40 & let the mechanic know - never mind.

Back on the bike to head to Pua & the bike won't start.
Oh shit. But perfect I thought; just how I needed it right at the Kawa shop & in the workshop.

20 minutes later Kawa drop me & my luggage back at the Dheveraj hotel to check again & let the mechanic do his thing at his own pace.

299153=19135-GTR-VersysFuel3.jpg

299153=19134-GTR-VersysFuel2.jpg

to be continued..

4.30Pm & I popped back along to Kawa hoping for some good news.

299166=19159-GTR-VErsys-FuelB.jpg

I was somewhat surprised then when I saw the fuel tank from another bike on my Versys.
The mechanics looked up & said petrol no good.
They fiddled a bit longer & connected a few hoses & lines & hit the starter button & she fired up perfectly.
Your petrol no good - very very dirty. Fuel line blocked + one dodgy sensor connector.
Who was I to argue, the bike was running beautifully.
I was shown a bowl of black sludge that came from my tank & fuel lines & asked where did I fuel up last - well it was at the Shell on the Lampang bypass road. Petrol no good was the reply.
What the heck it got me that far I thought - Lampang - Phrae.

But now I remember that in the last couple of months I have fueled up twice in Thoed Thai, plus once at Lisu Lao Ta's drug financed petrol station north of Tha Ton; & that my friends is where I suspect the problem comes from - two low class petrol stations.

As the time was close to closing the mechanics asked me if I wanted the bike that night or tomorrow. I said I preferred that evening, to which they complained it would be a rush job to get it all back together in 45 minutes, so they could go home on time. OK I relented take your time & do it properly - see you at 9Am tomorrow morning. And so it was. The old Versys is running perfect yet again.

The moral of the story for me
1. Take care where you fuel up.
2. Don't run your fuel tank all the way down close to empty, like I have been doing - sucking all the crap & dregs through.

Dec 27, 2007
^ Ha! I didn't even know there's a Kwacka dealer in Nan! And that's an EX650 tank they've got on your Versys, but I guess the plugs are the same, so why not!

Like you say, it's not a bad idea to fill up often- at least this way, when you do get some dodgy gas you don't have a full tank of it and you are soon diluting it with good. The Pollution Dilution Solution! :mrgreen:

Ride on!!

Tony :)

Oct 20, 2012
This type of storey always worries me as I have to leave my bikes for long periods when I am working away
Any advice guys?