Two white guys and there white Kawasaki’s explore Southern Laos.

Moto-Rex

Subscribed
Jan 5, 2008
Riders; BrianBKK and Moto-Rex.

Bikes; Two white KLXers.

Until the day we meet up in Laos, we really had no firm itinerary planned, except the ride was to start in Pakxe, and riding to the Nong Fa volcanic lake had to be a part of the trip, so the day we meet up in Pakxe, which was the first time we had meet in person, we dragged out the map, and while having a few refreshments by the Mekong, we worked out a rough plan.

Brian has a more detailed report here.
https://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorcycle-forum/threads/35871-Southen-Laos-Trip-Report-January-2012.

And he has put together one of the best dirt riding videos on the net here.
https://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorcycle-forum/threads/35883-Southern-Laos-the-video-January-2012

A lot of the trip was made up as we went along. The rough plan was indeed rough, but when it was all over, this was how it worked out.

Pakxe – Don Khong. Following the west side of the Mekong.
Don Khong – Kingfisher Lodge at the start of the Attapeu track (hwy18)
Kingfisher – Attapeu.
Attapeu – Attapeu. Ride to Nong Fa volcanic lake and back.
Attapeu – Sekong.
Sekong – Tad Lo.
Tad Lo – Tad Lo. Dirt Loop via bombed bridge.
Tad Lo – Ubon Ratchathani.

Day one. We left Pakxe early and rode down to Champasak for breakfast on the new tar road.
Laosmotorbikeride1.jpg

After breakfast it was straight on to a dirt track that would take us to the island of Don Khong.
Laosmotorbikeride2.jpg

What a great part of the world it is down here. Riding along side the great Mekong river with its spectacular scenery, was a good way to start the trip.
Laosmotorbikeride3.jpg

First drink stop for the white knights.
Laosmotorbikeride4.jpg

A few inquisitive locals came out to say hello.
Laosmotorbikeride5.jpg

Laosmotorbikeride6.jpg

The track would leave the river now and then, but we would never be more than 100 metres for the bank.
Laosmotorbikeride7.jpg

Laosmotorbikeride8.jpg

After a long days ride, with lots of single track and unique bridge crossings, we looked across the river to see Don Khong. And with a little searching we found a small ferry with a small skipper to take us over to the island.
Laosmotorbikeride9.jpg

The river at this point was about 150 metres across, and although the boys mother had control of the motor, these two little blokes navigated the vessel to the other side with pin point precision.
Better to have your life in the hands of these guys, than the hands of Italian Capitan of the Costa Concordia cruise ship that fled the scene.

Laosmotorbikeride10.jpg

Our breakfast and dinner spot on the island.
Laosmotorbikeride12.jpg

Don Khong would be a good place to chill out. So quiet and peaceful.
Laosmotorbikeride11.jpg

But we had no time to be quiet or peaceful, so we ventured on, leaving to island behind.
Laosmotorbikeride13.jpg

Laosmotorbikeride14.jpg

The turn off to the famous Attapeu track.
Laosmotorbikeride15.jpg

Some ruins that where in ruin. Built only 800 years ago and falling a part already.
Laosmotorbikeride16.jpg

After a good night sleep with the elephants at the Kingfisher resort, we hit the dry and dusty road to Attapeu.
Laosmotorbikeride18.jpg

Laosmotorbikeride19.jpg

Just love this photo, ……young fellas having a laugh, with to them must be a strangely dressed foreigner.
Laosmotorbikeride20.jpg

Laosmotorbikeride21.jpg

The first of many river crossings.
Laosmotorbikeride22.jpg

Along with the dust and dirt, there was plenty of mud, and Brian had a close up look at some of it.
Laosmotorbikeride23.jpg

Brian has a great video of the bike, the rider, and mud, all becoming acquainted here.

They was only one thing do, at that was to wash it off in the next river.
Laosmotorbikeride24.jpg

We ventured on.
Laosmotorbikeride26.jpg

Checking the depth of yet another river crossing.
Laosmotorbikeride27.jpg

This was to be the last river crossing for the day, it was wide and deep, but even though there was a ferry there, we decided to give it ago.
We walked it several times and worked out a line that get us to the other side without drowning the bikes. Problem was as the river was so wide remembering the hot line was going to be difficult.

Laosmotorbikeride28.jpg

Not sure what Brian’s hand signals meant, so I just took off. I stalled it in the middle after hitting a rock, but it started up straight away, and made it across. Then Brian followed without any problems. We had a good laugh about on the other side. I’ll put up a video of the crossing shortly.

Laosmotorbikeride29.jpg

Next day it was off the Nong Fa lake, which is best viewed on google earth. The lake its self is nothing much. But the ride was ok, and Im glad we went up for a look.
Laosmotorbikeride55.jpg

The ride out to Attapeu and back was a lot of KMs on a KLX, we arrived back just on dark hungry, so after a shower it was off for a feed. I cant remember what its called, but it hit the spot, along with the beer Lao.
Laosmotorbikeride31.jpg

The famous missile at Paan on the way to Sekong. It would have been good to fire it up, but it wasn’t pointing in the direction of Vang Vieng so why bother.
Laosmotorbikeride33.jpg

The road just out of Paan.
Laosmotorbikeride34.jpg

There was really nice villages along the stretch from Paan to hwy
Laosmotorbikeride35.jpg

Laosmotorbikeride36.jpg

Laosmotorbikeride39.jpg

Laosmotorbikeride41.jpg

Laosmotorbikeride43.jpg

Laosmotorbikeride44.jpg

Sekong had a good hotel and restaurant were I stuck with the chicken and pork, while Brian went for the turtle soup. "Touché away!"
Laosmotorbikeride45.jpg

Early morning fuel stop in Sekong.
Laosmotorbikeride46-1.jpg

The happy fuel attendant.
Laosmotorbikeride47.jpg

River crossing south east of Salavan.
Laosmotorbikeride58.jpg

Laosmotorbikeride54.jpg

Brian was the expert in riding in southern Laos, and knew some great spots to stay and eat. He suggested that instead of staying in Salavan for the night, we should go the extra KMs and stay at the Tad Lo lodge. This was a great call, it was so beautiful and quiet, and the restaurant and rooms where great.
Bungalow at Tad Lo Resort.
Laosmotorbikeride48.jpg

The elephants come down to the river every afternoon only 50 metres from the bungalow.
Laosmotorbikeride49.jpg

Laosmotorbikeride52.jpg

Great spot for a beer and a feed.
Laosmotorbikeride50.jpg

Next day was an out and back loop to see a bridge that was bombed not far from Salavan.
Laosmotorbikeride60.jpg

It was a good loop with some good little bridges to ride over.
Laosmotorbikeride51.jpg

At the border after a great 9 days in Southern Laos, I was going to stay in Laos and go north, but the last 9 days where so good, I thought Id leave Laos on a high, and rode to Ubon with Brian were he put he’s bike on the train, and then caught a plane to Bangkok.

Laosmotorbikeride61-1.jpg

This was really a great trip, southern Laos is a beautiful part of Laos, with the islands, the unique villages, and endless dirt tracks. It was also great to meet up and ride this part of Laos with Brian, who has no fear when it comes to deep river crossings. Lol

Great Trip.

Moto-Rex

Rod Page

Subscribed
Jan 7, 2010
If one judges by the photos & the enthusiasm of your report there can be no better place to be off-roading & what great access such an outing gives you to the real Laos.
Great report.

Mar 30, 2010
Hi Rex / Guys,

I didn't add these earlier.. so a good time now.

The routes we took.. Only one missing is the day to lake Nong Fa.

425059_350908048266467_100000418237810_1262699_933766655_n.jpg

Pakse to Don Khong along the Mekong.

426836_350907821599823_100000418237810_1262698_1085644438_n.jpg

Don Khong up to the Attapue turn off and a little loop around the trails near the Angkor period temple and then to the Eco Lodge.

397072_350908241599781_100000418237810_1262700_1646343756_n.jpg

Route 18

417521_350908728266399_100000418237810_1262703_740534864_n.jpg

Attapue to Sekong via Saravan to Tad Lo, then a loop to the bombed out bridge and back up the Plateau to Tad Lo. Then a ride through the middle of the Plateau to Paksong then to Tad Fan and on to Pakse and the border / Ubon

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Yes sir-ree what a ripper ride & report. You sure know how to have a good time & enjoy life Moto-Rex. Does it get any better?
Please keep riding & reporting - they're all appreciated reports.

Moto-Rex

Subscribed
Jan 5, 2008
brian_bkk;276047 wrote: Hi Rex / Guys,

I didn't add these earlier.. so a good time now.

The routes we took.. Only one missing is the day to lake Nong Fa.
Great job with the maps brian, the first one shows just how close we were to the river all day.

Cheers.

Moto-Rex

Jurgen

Subscribed
Oct 23, 2009
www.chopard.org
Great pics and report Rex, as always. Also interesting tracks from Brian. I just arrived from northeast Laos yesterday. I am envious of your trails, but with a white Versys ...:wtf:

Mar 30, 2010
Jurgen;276273 wrote: Great pics and report Rex, as always. Also interesting tracks from Brian. I just arrived from northeast Laos yesterday. I am envious of your trails, but with a white Versys ...:wtf:
Hi Jurgen,

To be honest.. I would not take a Versys on some of the routes we did.. To big and heavy and you wouldn't want to drop it in the river and have to get it back up :) Also the exhaust is not high enough for many of the river crossings. The KLX or other dirt bike is much easy to balance when going over slippery rocks, mud, steep sandy and rutted roads

You could do most of the route along the Mekong but would need to find alternative paths for the bamboo bridges.

Rex and I both discussed a Versys and the routes we took and agreed neither of us would want to take a Versys on many of those paths. We almost had to carry the KLX's over one river crossing.. Not sure how many villagers a Versys would need ;-)

Cheers
Brian

Feb 12, 2007
Rex,
Great report.
Is that a motionpro handlebar mount? or some other brand.
Im looking to do a handlebar mount on my klx250.
Thanks,Al

Moto-Rex

Subscribed
Jan 5, 2008
blkphantom;277007 wrote: Rex,
Great report.
Is that a motionpro handlebar mount? or some other brand.
Im looking to do a handlebar mount on my klx250.
Thanks,Al

Gday blkphantom.

I used RAM mounts, because they allow more flexibility the GOPRO mounts.

http://www.ja-gps.com.au/RAM-Mounts

I found this combination to work pretty well on the KLX.

I simply attached a GOPRO mount to the flat surface of this RAM GPS mount.
GPSmountsmotorcycle3.jpg

You can use this handle bar mounting piece.
GPSmountsmotorcycle4.jpg

I used this clamp, as I thought it would be good for filming from positions on the bike.
GPSmountsmotorcycle1.jpg

Mount extension.
GPSmountsmotorcycle2.jpg

It worked out pretty well, and although its sticking up a bit high on the YZ, on the KLX its about right, as seen in the photo of the above trip report.
GPSmotorbikeThailand1.jpg

GPSmotorbikeThailand2.jpg

The clamp allows you to mount it almost any were on the bike, or on a fence etc if you want to film yourself riding past.
GPSmotorbikeThailand3.jpg

Cheers Moto-Rex