Udon Thani

Mar 4, 2011
Have just done a trip to Udon Thani on my Ninja 650.
From Chiang Mai take Highway 11 past Lampang past Uttaradit to the 1245 turn off.
Follow then 1245 then the 1143 to Nakhon Thai then follow the 2013 to the 203 to Loei.
This is a great biking road with heaps of corners and fast sweepers I also found these roads not to busy.
From Loei take the 201 to Wang Sa Phung whee you will turn off and follow the 210 to Udon Thani.
This is a comfortable 9 to 10 hour ride giving you a few comfort stops to eat and refresh yourself.

Accomadation.
I found the guest house called the Ruysuk in Adunyaded Road to be good value for money.
The rooms are clean with Air con and cable TV which has quiet a few English channels including the BBC news station also the Australian channel.
The rooms are cleaned every day and the place is not noisy.
There is a cafe also there or you can buy European food at the English cafe about 50 meters up the road where you can buy great pies.
The accommodation is also about a 4 min ride to the main shopping center and about 7 min to the markets and the new eating places where you can get many different variety of food.

Bike Place.
I found the Kawasaki dealer in Udon Thani to be more than helpful and they also deal with Honda and Suzuki.

I was quiet surprised how good Udon Thani was it was much better than I expected and is worth a visit and is also a good ride if you take this route.
You can also use this as a base for day trips for instance Nong Khai on the Laos Border.
I did this ride on my Ninja 650 with my partner Boo and really enjoyed it.

Ninja David.8)

Dougal

Dec 18, 2007
Nice one David. Now you'll have to learn how to post some pics.

On the way back try heading up to Nong Khai and take a left following the Mekong River back round to Loei.

Have a good one.

Jan 27, 2011
I have done that same rout several times and it is a good trip. But it has always been in my pickup and not the bike. Next trip will be on the Fury.