Umphang to Kanchanaburi - seeking advice about road condition

Simon2

Oct 14, 2012
Hello everyone.

I'm a new user even though I read that forum many times before. I have lived in Chiang Rai for 2 years, now I got a new job in Bangkok so I am travelling on my motorbike (Honda Sonic 125cc) all the way down from Chiang Rai to BKK. I am going along the Myanmar-Thai border. Now I am in Mae Hong Son; I will surely continue down until Umphang. From there, I was thinking about going to Kanchanaburi (Three Pagoda Pass) and then finally BKK. On Google Maps, I have found this road: link. Does anyone knows anything about it? I haven't seen a single printed map of Thailand showing this road. It is suppose to be 276km long taking... more than 8 hours to complete, according to Google Maps (but then again, Google Maps claims that the shortest riding time from Chiang Rai to Chiang Mai is 4 hours 30 minutes, while it can be easily done within 3 hours). I am wondering if it is in good shape or well-signed; as I obviously wouldn't like to get lost in that area.
Just for the record, I am quite experienced driver, I did most of Golden Triangle roads (Chiang Rai-Pu Chi Fa loop, Doi Mae Salong-Doi Tung-Mae Sai, military border road and so) in Thailand including such beauties as Doi Ang Khang road.

So, any suggestions? Did anyone ever tried that road?

Simon2

Oct 14, 2012
Thanks a lot guys. As you said, probably there is some sort of trail that follows that way but it would be way to risky trying it on my own (and of course it may be impassable at the moment anyway). I guess I'll have to just go back from Umphang to Mae Sot and continue East (I just have to do the 1090 road).

I guess that's enough to close that thread. Cheers!

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com