Versys accessories problems

Sep 1, 2011
I just had my new Versys serviced for the first time. The service at Kawasaki Chiang Mai was typically good, efficient and friendly. The cost for the service was 1500baht using the highest quality oil.

However..................!

When I bought my bike (368,000baht), it was fitted with a variety of accessories including a rear mudguard directly above the tyre. Within 500klms, this guard had cracked and I noticed it was a poor fit and not centered above the tyre. By the time I took it to Kawasaki for the service, the guard was badly cracked. I pointed it out to the service bloke, and said I wanted it replaced under warranty. He indicated this would be no problem.

While waiting for the service to be completed, the young boss of the organisation (nice bloke) came to me and told me he could replace the guard with a similar one at no cost, but, he said, it would crack again because the locally manufactured guard was junk. He told me he would replace it with a good quality product but that would cost me an extra 4000baht. I told him to go ahead and do it. The new one looks better, fits better (even though it is attached at one point with a cable tie rather than a bolt) and I expect it will last. The retail cost of the new guard is apparently 6,500baht..he gave me a discount equal to the cost of the original guard at 2,500baht.

The problem is; why did he fit junk to a motorbike with a cost of almost 400k?...and he fitted it knowing the item was junk and that it had a history of cracking.

However, if you are going to buy a Versys, ask specifically if the rear guard is ABS plastic (good) or fibreglass (junk). Also take note of hand guards and crash bars. The good stuff is SW Motech, the cheap Thai made knock off (admitted by Kawasaki) is of significantly inferior quality.

I am not saying there is any rip-off, just that you get what you pay for and it seems there is, for the moment at least, a policy of fitting rubbish if the genuine article is out of stock.

I was met in Chiangmai by a fellow GT rider, who showed me great courtesy, good company and took me for a nifty lunch and guided me through CM. My ride home to Pai was terrific as I can now hook-into-it with more than 4000rpm. Yay!!

Oops...nearly forgot. The kick plates above the footpegs were marked and the paint was worn through after less than 1000klms (and I wear soft shoes). It looks daggy and is a big let down for what is otherwise an excellent product. I have pointed out the problem to Kawasaki Chiangmai and have been told they will work on it. Meanwhile, perhaps there is someone who can manufacture a billet cut item to replace the factory s-h-one-t.

Aug 13, 2007
Thailand
I bought my Versys from Real Motorsports in Bangkok. I have been very happy with their service. Friendly and helpful staff.

I had pre-ordered some accessories from overseas and hand carried them in when I came to accept the bike. After looking at the quality and cost of most of the accessories that Kawasaki sells I'm happy I decided to order the real thing. Cost wise after shipping the items to myself in Dubai and then hand carrying them to Thailand I probably didn't save anything but the quality is much higher.

The kick plates on the Versys seem to be a known problem. Mine already show wear after 600km and I wore running shoes while riding. One solution is to get some heavy rubber tape and make "wear pads" to protect the metal. I have heavy duty clear tape I borrowed from my work. Or since we live in Thailand you could go to your local sign shop and have some vinyl stickers custom made to fit. It's cheap enough so have a dozen made and just change them as they wear out.

Sep 1, 2011
I think the stickers is a fine, though very temporary solution. I'm going to give it a go. Regarding accessories, Kawasaki Chiangmai can supply good stuff at reasonable prices. It just seems as though they will default to junk if they are low on quality, brand name stock. All the prang protection they supplied on my bike is SW Motech (but I notice on the so-callel Versys Sports currently on the showroom floor, the sports muffler is not recognised quality, the crash bars are local knock offs and the hand guards are cheapies....But it is supplied with a genuine radiator guard and Scorpion tyres).

The fact is, if you challenge the salesman, he will supply the good gear....though a wait for the stock to arrive may be necessary...and it is more expensive than the khrrrrap.

Jul 11, 2011
My Versys came with Givi crash bars on and I think the price was slightly cheaper than the SW Motech ones. Not much in it and almost the same dimensions.
As for the paint on the kick plates, it's very poor to say the very least. The impression I got from Kawasaki when questioning this is that they know the quality is crap but don't really care.
I had the Ninja 250 before this and had exactly the same problem.
I suppose we can't expect Honda / Yamaha quality at Kawasaki prices I guess.
They also told me the rear hugger was not an option on my bike as I have the Hyperpro rear shock and the lower ride height would mean the battery box would bottom out on it and smash it. Shame really as I think they are a very good addition.

Nov 7, 2007
Kick plates is a Kawasaki problem - all Versys bikes have this. It's lame - Kawa will need to sort this out.

As for accessories - the Kawasaki shop in CM doesn't have a lot, and all of it is pretty expensive. You do get a pretty close to real price value if you haggle with them, or rather, ask for it, they will give you a discount right away.

One thing I seem to notice: You really have to do your research on aftermarket stuff. Some is good, some is not. I had heard good things about the Hyperpro springs, put them in, and... only eventually got them to behave just OK. I don't think that's a worth-while upgrade at 11k baht - I am not even sure it is an upgrade at all. Not talking about the full shock, only the springs (front and rear). Aftermarket exhausts cost 20k baht + without improving performance - they only sound faster. Buyer beware...

I am pretty happy with my cheapo hand guards - while they're not super strong like some I've seen, they will be much better than nothing in an impact, and they have little LED lights in them. For 700 baht, that's just fine.

Nov 21, 2010
Within the Thai pricing-system the Kawasaki quality is what you pay for. Same goes for the accessories.

And with accessories you have to be aware that they are installed correctly otherwise they might not function like they should. And Thai mechanics knowing .....

As of the Kick-plates you could buy the stickers, just put very good tape on it or have them good (really good) re-painted. But then again I once had something made for my bike and have it painted it black (instead of chrome) and the paint was more or less gone within 3 weeks.

Chang Noi

Jul 11, 2011
I've seen a few comments suggesting the front springs are a waste of money so I didn't bother.
The only reason for the rear shock is that I'm a bit of a short ass so the lowering effect it offered seemed a logical choice.

FrankT

Sep 10, 2010
has anyone tried to powdercoat the kick-plates? would cost maybe Bht 1000/2000 and could solve the problem and you can choose many different colours.

Nov 7, 2007
Cloughy;271623 wrote: I've seen a few comments suggesting the front springs are a waste of money so I didn't bother.
The only reason for the rear shock is that I'm a bit of a short ass so the lowering effect it offered seemed a logical choice.

They make different versions: A lowering kit; a normal size full shock; and a progressive spring to replace the stock spring. I have the latter and it's IMO a waste of money. Front and back. Pretty in purple though. Looks fast. :D

Aug 9, 2012
What is a kick plate ?

I have ordered a Versy from the Pattaya Kawasaki shop they say they cant get huggers ? any advice welcomed