Versys anteater nose cure

Feb 5, 2007
Some may like the odd "anteater" nose on the Versys, but it seems to me that the designer went to lunch, had a few beers, and forgot to finish the job. I finally could not take it anymore and built a fibreglass filler panel to solve the Versys anteater nose look.
A bit more work to do on the finish and mounting brackets but it will look like this

Since I have to make a mould, I will be making several sets so let me know if you are interested. Price is not known until I am done but think 4000 B in black gel coat, and quality bracketry.

Thinking to paint mine red to match the bike, but flat black is an easy rattle can job for those that prefer the blacked out look.

This is part of my Versys beak project but I like it so much that I am not going to fit the beak on my own bike.
On to the beak section tomorrow for those that really want the beak

Attached files
285544=13950-anteater%20nose%20filler%20resize.jpg

Gary D

Apr 17, 2010
I saw Kawasaki Udon Thani fitting a beak similar to a bmw f800, to a Versys only this week. And it looked real good.

Sep 19, 2006
www.chiangmai-xcentre.com
I have seen a Beaked Versys on the Road but never up close. From Your Photo Robert it is a little hard to make out the difference? Almost looks like a Air Intake blocked off? Looks pretty neat though so be looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Dec 27, 2007
Interesting project. I understand you're making the parts out of fiberglass? What would it take to have them made out of ABS plastic so that they match the rest of the body panels?

Feb 5, 2007
Fiberglass is easy for the DYI handyman, and uses a relatively inexpensive mould.
ABS OTOH, requires a very expensive mould and beyond what I can do at home.

Feb 5, 2007
Bought the engine guards from TonyBBK above. Locally made so I chose to support the GT-Rider community

Ian - the beak is ala BMW GS and is still in mock up stage as I need to make this filler first, and then fit the beak to the moulded part. It could be done in one go but I am not that smart.
It will mount to the filler so one can go with or without beak as preferred.

Dec 27, 2007
brake034;285622 wrote: TonyBKK, ABS and fibre glass (or epoxy coated, glass fibre reinforced material) are two totally different systems:

For ABS you need an extruder and an injection mould system under temperature and pressure, the mould (or pattern) is complicated and often crafted in metal, suitable for mass production. Set up costs very high, unit costs low.
For fibre glass, pressure and temperature can be ambient, mould is simple and can be made in wood or similar, suitable for prototype or small series. Set up costs moderate, unit costs moderate.
Thanks for the explanation. I guess that explains why fiberglass is so popular here. Setting up production of ABS is a big investment.

Dec 27, 2007
Go figure a mate just clued me in to a company down the street from my house that is selling exactly what Robert is making-

Address and phone:อุปกรณ์แต่งกายและของแต่งกิ๊บเก๋สำหรับ Big Bike ที่ตั้งซอยรามคำแหง 43/1 สนใจโทร 083-8951223 ส่งทั่วประเทศ

11f60ad836d65de7bf77f71f1dad15f7_zps3444270c.jpg

746e2e23ea0ad11548fa77d42a908b7c_zps8bbd4f5a.jpg

I'll wander over there later today or next week to ask about price.

27284a9a40a7b36182d2a70845a5e00f_zpsd450bdc8.jpg

Dec 27, 2007
brake034;285676 wrote: hmmmmm, how to call an anteater with a nose job?

In Dutch they say, even if a monkey wears a golden ring, it is and remains an ugly thing........
Ha ha! That's a good one!

In english we say, "You can dress up a pig, but it's still a pig" :lol-sign:

Oct 20, 2012
everyone to their own but i have see a lot of versys with it on i do not think it looks any better, the thais seem to have them on their bikes, i will keep the mods down to a minimum on my versys even luggage i want the removable brackets on mine.
We also have a saying in England "' YOU CANT POLISH A TURD'

Feb 5, 2007
This beak design trend started in Malaysia, and this project started by buying one a few weeks ago. Unfortunately is is a steaming, ill fitting, POS.
As it turns out I bought Malaysian Rev 1 and there is now Rev 2 which is very similar to what Tony has posted. As I understand the difference is in the mounting method.

Nothing on one one I bought fits properly, especially the big uneven gaps where the new side pods blend into the stock anteater nose. The beak portion is flimsy, unsupported, and cantilevered off the side pods. Proportions and body lines are all wrong. It took a day of body work to make it straight. Brackets are flimsy, shoddy, and IMHO just not up to long term use and vibration.

A total waste of money (6000 B landed at my door) and the Vendor is taking the typical SE Asian attitude of 'very sorry but no returns". Sorry for what - knowingly selling a part that is not proper nor fit for purpose, or ripping me off?
To my knowledge there are 3 Malaysian Vendors and I suspect that given the copy culture they are remarkably similar. That is it for me and ripped off once, twice shy, so I proceeded to do it right myself and reinvent the wheel

It pissed me off so much that I cut up this useless POS and used it as a starting point to do it right, resulting in what I have so far. If I had of known that it could be bought in BKK I would just have kissed my 6000 B goodby spent another 4500 and chocked it up to experience.

This Thai one looks a lot better than what I got from Malaysia and I would really like to see it up close. I am not sure how it is mounted and it seems to be attached to the ABS body panels, with the beak cantilevered off the side pods per Malaysian Rev 2. If so then I would be suspect in relation to how it will hold up with stress and vibration.

I agree that the beak seems a bit long as does the Malaysian one.

As it is I am now in so deep that I have to carry on, and it has been a learning exercise. I do however think that it can be done better
My pig will have lipstick

KZ25

Nov 19, 2011
I think you should listen to these guys, they know what they're talking about:

Aug 29, 2011
hhhmmm......Liked it initially but the longer i look the more i dislike.

Just looks weird especially with the original mud guard still in place.

Save up for a real hypermotard or best keep the old ant eater look i recon.

Oct 20, 2012
yeh my days of modifying are over,, i remember lowering and putting some wheels on my XR3i , only older people will remember them i couldnt get around tight bends ha ha,thought it was cool,,i was 19,,,theres some really cool customised bikes out there ,,,,,if the z800 comes to thailand i wonder what people will do with that ?,,,i like the look of the z800, i think the versys is ok,, but there are some who will say both bikes are ugly as i say each to their own.
Some like to look different and good luck to them but alot of people are going for this mod will it help or hinder the aerodynamics of the versys at high speeds ide be interested to know

Feb 5, 2007
These side filler fairing panels will have far less effect on high speed stability then bolting on a fully loaded large breadbox behind the pillion and/or a set of heavy, fat panniers, gigantic windscreen etc

It is clearly impossible for a DYI person to quantify the effect of the side panels, but I suspect that it cannot be felt in a butt test. Not sure if the same can be said with a large beak, however as Ian says the esthetic requirement that it be a bit smaller should help. Note that the beak is frame mounted, and not to the front fork, so any effect on stability will be mitigated.

In any case, I do not think that it can go fast enough to make a difference, but rest assured that it will be tested today without beak

Nov 21, 2010
This modifications looks like someone wants to make it look more as a Versys is ....
I did see a few Versys that even had an BMW logo (and of course nothing of Kawasaki anymore).

Chang Noi

Dec 27, 2007
KZ25;286689 wrote: Talking about BMW and ants - the new "Wasserboxer" really looks like one!

286689=14268-122-1301-00-2013-BMW-R1200GS-.jpg
Are these "beaks" purely cosmetic or do they serve a purpose? The bike already has a fender over the wheel, so what's the beak for?

KZ25

Nov 19, 2011
Aerodynamics. It should push the front down at high speeds. It's amazing what a A4-sized piece of plastic can do. But does it have to look that way?

Years ago BMWs were purely "form-follows-function" and people called them ugly.

Lately they have top-notch designs. Can't argue about taste, some have it, some don't, but the newer BMWs sure don't look Italian!

Did you notice those sly Bavarians rotated the intake/exhaust 90 degrees?

Feb 5, 2007
The moulds are being made now and should have the first run when I get back next week from the latest ride