Versys fork sliders

Feb 5, 2007
The axle sliders we get there in Thailand are either local crap or expensive imports, so I decided to make my own.

Rather than a common low tensile steel tie rod or cheesy bit of redi rod, this one is made out of high tensile steel so that it is less likely to break or bend rendering the slider useless. The nut is a stainless acorn nut.

Note how the aluminium bushings spigot both into the axle and slider in order to take the load on the fork/bushing and not snap off the tie rod when you need it the most
Sliders are common skate board wheels, tough, cheap to replace and readily available

I have seen import sliders that do not use centralizing bushings and even cheesy tie rods, so I am pretty pleased that I can do something far better at a similar or better cost

I made a few extra sets @ 1500 B if anyone is interested
Yes you can probably buy a Thai one cheaper - the key word is cheap

DSC_0248_resize.jpg

DSC_0249_resize.jpg

DSC_0250_resize.jpg

Jul 15, 2012
They look great i wish i had you talent. One question does a skateboard wheel defeat the purpose? i would think it would grip instead of sliding.

Dec 27, 2007
yankee99;288229 wrote: They look great i wish i had you talent. One question does a skateboard wheel defeat the purpose? i would think it would grip instead of sliding.
You are correct- modern skateboard wheels are made of polyurethane (sp?) and are very grippy. Not sure anyone makes old school nylon wheels anymore?

Most motorcycle sliders (even the ones made here in Thailand) are made of Nylon or POM (Polyoxymethylene) which slide on pavement thanks to their high stiffness and low friction.

If those skateboard wheels on Robert's bike are polyurethane they may well grip, rather than slide and the result would, I imagine, be quite ugly...

Demo:

Feb 5, 2007
I thought of that, and the wheel is suitable for the application

"Grippy-ness" is determined by the durometer of the material. Durometer ratings for soft plastics fall in the Shore A field. Without getting bogged down in ASTM testing methodology, the A scale only goes to 100, and anything past 95 is inaccurate. Manufacturers try and con the unsuspecting buyer by overrating their wheels. For example these wheels are rated at 101A and can only be determined by extrapolating from the B scale.
The B scale is more appropriate for harder plastics

As comparison a urethane wheel would be 70-75A and not fit for this application.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Hoghead;288252 wrote: I thought of that, and the wheel is suitable for the application

"Grippy-ness" is determined by the durometer of the material. Durometer ratings for soft plastics fall in the Shore A field. Without getting bogged down in ASTM testing methodology, the A scale only goes to 100, and anything past 95 is inaccurate. Manufacturers try and con the unsuspecting buyer by overrating their wheels. For example these wheels are rated at 101A and can only be determined by extrapolating from the B scale.
The B scale is more appropriate for harder plastics

As comparison a urethane wheel would be 70-75A and not fit for this application.
Duh, you lost me here (not difficult some would say), but I'm pleased you know your stuff. Keep 'em coming. :thumbup:

Feb 5, 2007
David
Drop by and I will fit a set to your bike as a small token of appreciation for taking Mrs Hoghead and I on the the Laos trip