Versys Hyperpro Springs Setup

Nov 7, 2007
Can anyone with Hyperpro springs advise on the setup? I know the Hyperpro comes with a manual, but I don't have that.

First time I had them installed, I set everything to very hard. It was barely ridable. Then I set it back to stock settings which is preload of 5 on the rear spring; Kawa recommends that for a 68kg rider so I should really use 6 for my 80kgs. But... it was still way too hard. Then I read some forums which recommended a setting of 1 or 2.

Just did a ride on 2 with medium rebound and seemed OK but still not "great".

Is the Hyperpro way harder than the stock spring? What's the correct setting for 80kgs? Does anyone have the manual?

So far I am somewhat unhappy with the new setup - it seems better in some situations, but worse in others...

I guess I'll have to figure out the front preload / dampening too. Front is rock hard which is great for braking but not so good for rough roads. But it's not as big an issue as the rear at the moment so I've more or less ignored it.

Kawasaki CM is obviously clueless about setting up the Hyperpro so they're no help.

Note I didn't get the full rear shock, only the spring. It's not a lowering spring, at least it shouldn't be one.

Jul 25, 2010
I have the manual for the for the complete shock which I used to great success when I changed to a Hyperpro shock, the whole thing, not just the spring on my Versys. I assume that the principles are the same for the stock shock with the new spring which is what I understand that you have.
In fact the result was so good I later changed the fork springs expecting further improvements. It was a complete disaster and the bike was nothing but darn right dangerous. Not being an expert in these things I couldn't figure out why so I had Khun Tan take a look. After attempting to adjust the pre-load with no improvement he believed that there was something wrong with the installation of the springs, so I took the bike to G3. Khun Tom pulled the forks apart and reassembled them. It transpired that the springs had been put in upside down and there was uneven quantities of oil in each fork! Yes Kawa CM is worse than useless with suspension.
All is good now and the Hyperpro set up has completely changed the bike, the difference is unbelievable but I do travel with the misses and two boxes mostly, so about 140 kilo. The stock suspension leaves a lot to be desired but I think that is one way Kawa get the RRP price of the bike down.
I know of three other people (two Versys and one Ninja) who have gone for the Hyperpro rear set up and all find the shock has made a significant difference. Its well worth the investment to my mind as the stock set up was really very hard ass basic.
They is someone else on this forum who has changed just the springs but I cant remember who it was, fatboy or something like that I think.

Fatlad

Nov 27, 2010
ronwebb;268119 wrote: I have the manual for the for the complete shock which I used to great success when I changed to a Hyperpro shock, the whole thing, not just the spring on my Versys. I assume that the principles are the same for the stock shock with the new spring which is what I understand that you have.
In fact the result was so good I later changed the fork springs expecting further improvements. It was a complete disaster and the bike was nothing but darn right dangerous. Not being an expert in these things I couldn't figure out why so I had Khun Tan take a look. After attempting to adjust the pre-load with no improvement he believed that there was something wrong with the installation of the springs, so I took the bike to G3. Khun Tom pulled the forks apart and reassembled them. It transpired that the springs had been put in upside down and there was uneven quantities of oil in each fork! Yes Kawa CM is worse than useless with suspension.
All is good now and the Hyperpro set up has completely changed the bike, the difference is unbelievable but I do travel with the misses and two boxes mostly, so about 140 kilo. The stock suspension leaves a lot to be desired but I think that is one way Kawa get the RRP price of the bike down.
I know of three other people (two Versys and one Ninja) who have gone for the Hyperpro rear set up and all find the shock has made a significant difference. Its well worth the investment to my mind as the stock set up was really very hard ass basic.
They is someone else on this forum who has changed just the springs but I cant remember who it was, fatboy or something like that I think.

FATLAD my boy.
Will respond to post later, busy just this morning.

Jul 25, 2010
Big apologies Fatlad, wont get it wrong again. Its all these code names you see. Difficult to remember who is what so to speak.

Fatlad

Nov 27, 2010
Hi
I agree with Ronweb, to find a good competent mechanic is like looking for a needle in a hay stack, i am sure you didnt fit the springs your self Nick and the Hyperpro instructions are in English and we know that certain people know everything and we know nowt.
This is why i do all my repairs myself as i am the only person i can trust here in Thailand to do it right.
I personally think as with Rons, the springs will be the wrong way up and the oil will be at the wrong level, not difficult to do but quite tricky to get the exact oil level, did they remove all the old oil as well?? or leave the old oil and keep the new shiney Hyperpro oil?? which i think you will find is more the case, did they pump the damper to remove all the old oil?? did they remove all the trapped air by pumping the damper when filling the new oil, the list goes on and on.
I would personally suggest take both legs off and check springs and oil level, re assemble, pre load the spring 8 full turns in from the fully out position, and the rebound screw 0.5 open from the fully closed position this is on top of the off side fork leg top.
The springs should have the progressive side up, ie the closer coils at the top.
The Hyperpro oil supplied is a SAE 15 grade oil, while the ordiginal oil is a SAE 10 or thiner oil
For me at 100kg i have the preload at 10 turns in and the rebound half a turn open, very difficult to get it exact as one minute i am doing 90/120km on a gravel road and next minute 60/140 on the tar seal either sat down or stood up so its all about compromise, my ideal bike would be the Yamaha 1200 Super Tenere for Thailand but the Versys is the best compromise available at present and at a realistic price.

Jurgen

Subscribed
Oct 23, 2009
www.chopard.org
I also changed to a rear hyperpro, touched nothing, and drove happily round the North. I am not sure that it is really another bike, I certainly feel a difference in my bank account, on the road, riding solo, it's anyway a nice bike.

I am of course happy to get more hints about adjustments ... But as it is not broken :geek1:

Nov 7, 2007
Thanks, guys, I guess I'll have to take that bike to G3 as well, no way I am going to do any of this myself... ... ronwebb, where is G3, I assume in CM somewhere? Obvious from my setup that Kawa CM have no clue about these.

I did adjust the front preload to 13 turns out (15 is max) and it's much improved, but not sure much better than stock, really.

In hindsight I am not sure there was anything wrong with the stock suspension... maybe for heavy loads it's not suitable but for my 80kg mass it was fine.

Edit: Notifications seem to be broken, didn't get any email updates on this thread...

Jul 25, 2010
Nik, G3 is on the right hand side of Tai Wang Road heading east from the moat just before Nakorn Ping bridge. Dont get confused with the Harley place just before it (if you are heading away from the moat) but thats pretty obvious from the bikes parked out the front. Khun Tom is the man to see at G3.
Did you replace the complete rear shock or just the spring?

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
nikster;268340 wrote: Thanks, guys, I guess I'll have to take that bike to G3 as well, no way I am going to do any of this myself... ... ronwebb, where is G3, I assume in CM somewhere? Obvious from my setup that Kawa CM have no clue about these.

I did adjust the front preload to 13 turns out (15 is max) and it's much improved, but not sure much better than stock, really.

In hindsight I am not sure there was anything wrong with the stock suspension... maybe for heavy loads it's not suitable but for my 80kg mass it was fine.

Edit: Notifications seem to be broken, didn't get any email updates on this thread...

Chiang Mai Motorcycle Shops

Fatlad

Nov 27, 2010
WOW! thats some preload, mine at 9 turns is hard on the tarmac and i am 100kg. To do the job replacing the spring and oil is only about 30 minute each leg, spent more time trying to get the oil levels right.
There must be some Ferang up there who could show you how to do it?

Mar 4, 2011
Hi Jurgen
Did you set the bike up to your weight?
If not first of all you must do to get the right starting point .
After that the gold circle at the bottom gives you also a harder or softer ride.
You turn it clockwise all the way then go back 19 not counting the first click.
That is your starting point if you then go anti clock wise your rebound is softer if you go clockwise it is harder.
Do one click either way to your liking to find your right set up do not go more than 5 clicks either way as if you do it is better to either tension or unwind spring to your liking for your riding.
I ride 99 percent of the time 2 up with this spring I never bottom out as I did all the time on any road with a bump no matter what I did with the old spring.
In the corners can ride as quick as I can with such sure footed ness.
With the non moving around and the spring solid my tyres do not over heat and you will also get much better Tyre life as the bike does not squirm like it did with the original below budget shock.
I have done about 3000ks on this new shock and set up right I am sure you will notice the difference.
I followed Shackstar through corners after he got the front and back springs done I could not believe how shore footed his bike was it was glued to the road through the corners.
I had followed him and a couple of others on Versys AND WHEN THEY TRIED TO RIDE HARD THROUGH THE CORNERS THERE BIKES WERE ALL OVER THE ROAD.
Watching this I commented to my girl friend I was so glad I bought the Ninja and not one of those Versys as my bike was so stable compared to theirs after that last ride with Shackstar I may have to re-valuate the Versys as it is now a very good bike and is glued to the road.
Must ask Shackstar for a ride through the twisty s.
I hope you can find a good set up for yourself Yurgen and I'm sure you will be happy and if you take a lady away with you you will make her a lot happier with a more comfortable and stable bike.

Nov 7, 2007
ronwebb;268345 wrote: Nik, G3 is on the right hand side of Tai Wang Road heading east from the moat just before Nakorn Ping bridge. Dont get confused with the Harley place just before it (if you are heading away from the moat) but thats pretty obvious from the bikes parked out the front. Khun Tom is the man to see at G3.
Did you replace the complete rear shock or just the spring?

Ah, I think I know where that is, thanks!

Replaced the springs (rear and forks) only, the rear shock was over 20k baht I think...

Jul 25, 2010
nikster;268368 wrote: Ah, I think I know where that is, thanks!

Replaced the springs (rear and forks) only, the rear shock was over 20k baht I think...
Ok. Thats where the comparison fails as I replaced the whole rear shock and so I dont know what happens if just the spring is replaced and so I dont know what to say about that.
However Khun Tom will be able to pull the forks apart and rebuild them properly as he did for me.

Feb 5, 2007
Naturally check that the springs are in the right side up and that the oil level and viscosity is correct.
Set it up so that the initial compression is 25% of the total range. Use a wire tie on the fork tube and carefully balance yourself on the bike to determine the amount of suspension sag.

You will find that this usually is correct and if anything very minor adjustments will be required.

Do the measurements both solo and 2 up to determine the proper setting when you carry a passenger.

Fatlad

Nov 27, 2010
HyperPro Front

The oil level 120mm from the top all air removed both legs
Pre load 8 turns from min
Static sag 35mm
Rebound 0.5 turn open.

HyrePro Rear

Spring Preload position 1or 2
Static sag 5-10mm
Rebound Position 2

Oct 17, 2006
Be careful with Hyperpro proggresive rising rate springs they can make the bike very unstable on rough roads at high speed ...i had some in my S4 ducati and on smooth roads they were great but the bike became dangerously unstable at speed on rougher surfaces as the springs locked up.

i went to linear springs to solve the problem

Feb 5, 2007
But Nick is somewhat less than Fat Lads 100 kg
Use 25% of full range to set initial sag/compression and you will find that this is about right for both front and rear. You will need to play with the rebound/compression

Note this is full range and you will need to unload the suspension to determine the zero load point

Jurgen

Subscribed
Oct 23, 2009
www.chopard.org
Thank you David, this written explanation, together with yesterday's discussion help me into a fine tune for an even better return on my investment. As it is easy to fiddle with the "gold ring", testing for additional comfort is a breeze. I am grateful for all information and will stick to my changes, a Hypro rear shock (only) and some twisting on the adjustment ring.

Nov 7, 2007
Went to G3 where Tom found the front springs installed upside down, and a bit of oil missing. Now going to experiment with the setup a bit. Tentatively it already feels a lot better.

I am learning this as I go along but when I had it all set to min preload and soft rebound it worked very well.... Until I took a corner a bit faster, then the rear seemed to be sliding away, it was super unstable. Added a bit of rebound on the rear and it was much better, but still a bit slippery when stressed.

Now that the front is fixed I think I'll be able to do a proper setup, I'll just take the tools with me.

Jul 25, 2010
Nick, you could ask Khun Tam, who has the bike shop on Huay Kaew next to the car wash, if he will help you set up the suspension. He is very good at this but its not really what he does I think. Khun Tam is the guy who will conduct the big bike riding course that John put on this site the other day.

Nov 7, 2007
I know Khun Tum, yeah would be awesome to get his help, clearly. I am also going to try and make the training, thanks for pointing that out.

Nov 7, 2007
Haven't gotten around to doing any extended riding but just around town and on the canal road the new setup is already WAY better than it was. It's certainly as good as stock was, maybe better - I've forgotten how stock was by now.

Conclusion: It helps to install the springs the right way around! Who'd have thought?! Maybe somebody should tell Kawa CM... ;)

Nov 7, 2007
I am now convinced that stock is better.

The problem with Hyperpro springs is two-fold: One, they're way hard. Two, getting them set up correctly is impossible. I was alternating between two problems all the time I had them: Either the rear would kick me in the butt when riding faster and over a bad road (too hard). Or the rear would seemingly "give out" in turns when pushed. I tried many settings, including the Hyperpro recommended ones, and couldn't find a combination that wouldn't have one of these issues, at least a little.

What finally broke the camel's back was a ride to Pai recently - that road now has huge potholes. I hit one or two of those, and the progressive front meant that the front pretty much locked up both occasions. Didn't actually lock up but sure felt like it thanks to the fact that they're so hard, _and_ progressive which in the end gives less actual travel.

Now I am back on stock, feels better. Neither the kick in the butt nor the giving way in turns on the back is an issue. Tested only on a short stretch on the canal road but I know all those turns really well so I think it's already very good.

The reason I went for these in the first place was a certain squshy-ness in high speed turns - something I actually only experienced when riding with the road racer crowd. And that doesn't go away with the Hyperpro springs either, as I found out. A very minor complaint compared with the issues that the Hyperpro caused.

Oh yeah I guess I have front and rear Hyperpro springs for sale... ;)