Versys Hyperpro Springs Setup

Mar 4, 2011
Hi Nikster
Your problem is you have not set it up properly for your weight and your own personal riding style.
The standard shock is shit in every way and cannot be compared to the aftermarket Hyperpro.
I had my shock and front suspension set up by one of Thailand top racers I did this to find a starting position with weight.
It was set up perfect but to hard for the Thai bad roads so I wound the shock back to my liking which ended up a full turn then I adjusted the rebound this gives you a smoother ride but you also have to watch you don't move it to much or you will push wide in the corners.
It does take a little time to get it right but once right its great.
I had the front forks lifted a bit in the yokes and 20w oil put in.
I found the handling good but hard on the road so went back to 10w in the front and yep perfect.
I ride the bike pretty hard and fast and my set up is perfect my bike is the Ninja 650 my front springs are standard.
May be put an add on this site for set up I think Tom may be able to help you with a set up.
But you are kidding your self if you think the standard shock is good as it is shit may be the worst I have ever ridden on and I am not the only one to say that.
Hope this may help you a little but don't let someone touch your bike who does not know what there doing.
When its set up to your weight read the book and fine tune it to your riding I think you will be more than happy.

Nov 7, 2007
David Race;272677 wrote: Hi Nikster
Your problem is you have not set it up properly for your weight and your own personal riding style.
The standard shock is shit in every way and cannot be compared to the aftermarket Hyperpro.
I had my shock and front suspension set up by one of Thailand top racers I did this to find a starting position with weight.
It was set up perfect but to hard for the Thai bad roads so I wound the shock back to my liking which ended up a full turn then I adjusted the rebound this gives you a smoother ride but you also have to watch you don't move it to much or you will push wide in the corners.
It does take a little time to get it right but once right its great.
I had the front forks lifted a bit in the yokes and 20w oil put in.
I found the handling good but hard on the road so went back to 10w in the front and yep perfect.
I ride the bike pretty hard and fast and my set up is perfect my bike is the Ninja 650 my front springs are standard.
May be put an add on this site for set up I think Tom may be able to help you with a set up.
But you are kidding your self if you think the standard shock is good as it is shit may be the worst I have ever ridden on and I am not the only one to say that.
Hope this may help you a little but don't let someone touch your bike who does not know what there doing.
When its set up to your weight read the book and fine tune it to your riding I think you will be more than happy.

Thanks for your input :)

However, it appears you have a totally different setup, and I well believe it works for you:
You have a Ninja 650, I have a Versys. The Versys suspension is way better than the Ninja's. It's also totally different.
You have a rear hyper pro shock, I only had the spring.
You don't have front hyper pro springs.

Another thing about racing setup - the thing that makes the Versys great is that it is awesome on bad roads thanks to the long suspension travel. If you raced the bike on a track you would not need that and so undoubtedly make different trade-offs.

YMMV!

Mar 4, 2011
Hi Nikster

Yes my set up is different and does work well on my bike but I can tell you of a few guys who have a versys and have changed the shock and they will also tell you its chalk and cheese and they do all different types of terrain.
The main problem is you just bought the spring which yes is a waste of money.
Had you bought the whole shock which is the same price as my Ninja shock I think you would have been very pleased as there are spring ajustmants and 40 rebound ajustmants.
The spring tension is great you can wind it down to suit your style and weight.
Sounds like you were very badly advised to buy the spring but you wont make that mistake again we all live and learn.
Enjoy your riding and keep safe.

Dec 27, 2007
Not meaning to start a big argument, but the rear shock on the Ninja 650R is not the same as the rear shock on the Versys. If you've only ridden the 650R and haven't ridden a Versys I'd say you are not really in a position to critique the Versys suspension. While I agree that the rear shock on the 650R / ER6n is VERY basic, it performs "adequately" for most applications. That said, if you take it to a track or a really messed up road, you quickly discover the limitations of the stock suspension.

Everyone knows that the inverted forks on the Versys, adjustable for pre-load and rebound are much better than the non adjustable 650R forks. The higher spec adjustable suspension and added clearance of the Versys makes it a clear winner in my book over the 650R for rough road and track. It handles both quite well, though, as you pointed out, it certainly helps to have the suspension set correctly for the application.

Ride On!

Tony

Mar 4, 2011
Hi TONY
Thanks for your input I know the shock for the Verysys is different than the NINJA ALL THE SUSPENSION ON THESE 2 BIKES IS different.
That was not the point.
Having ridden many ks on the Versys as well the difference with the 2 shocks is chalk and cheese the rear I am speaking of and there are many owners the first thing they changed is the shock.
Having worked in the motorcycle industry for over 20 years I can tell you all people like different things and if you like a standard set up so be it that's fine.
But it is no mystery why aftermarket shocks are a huge seller especially in the more budget bikes which although a very good bike the versys falls in to this category its built to a price and one of the first things is the suspension I would say when they do a new model this will be something they update first as they just have with the 2012 Ninja and Er6 which will be released soon.
I myself must have owned 20 bikes over the last 30 years and I don't always change the suspension but I more than happy with the Hyperpro I have bought and I can tell you other Versys riders I know who have changed and they are over whelmed at the change this shock has made to there bike.
Unfortunately Nikstar just changed the spring on the back of his bike if he had bought the whole rear shock and set it up im sure he would be much happier riding in all different conditions I cannot comment on his front spring change.
I have not changed my front springs so I cannot comment on the product for front springs but I am happy myself with the Kawasaki front springs and yes I do know the front end is totally different on the versys as is all the bike its a much better bike than the Ninja much more quality with frame swing arm engine retuned and suspension.
I think its a good bike and I will hopefully purchase one when the new model when ever comes out.
I just hope they put a 19 in front wheel on it and it will be a more serious contender with its more expensive rivals.
Enjoy your riding keep safe.