Versys Skid Plate?

Feb 23, 2010
Hi guys,

I am interested in getting a skid plate for my Versys.

1) Do you know any local manufacturers?

2) I am aware of the SW-Motech version, but I think 9,900 baht is a pricey for a skid plate.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Esat

Jul 25, 2010
I think a skid plate makes cleaning more difficult and serves no purpose other than to add more weight Esat. Thats unless you intend to do a fair bit of riding off sealed roads. Looks OK though.

Dec 27, 2007
I watched the service guys at Kawasaki Rama 9 struggling to fit an SW Motech Skid Plate to a customers bike and wow, all I have to say is, installation is a royal PITA!

Thing is the Versys is really not a good choice for serious off roading due to its weight and the stock headers running UNDER the bike just waiting to be smashed.

Really the only thing you are protecting with the skid plate are the headers.

Personally if I wanted to make my Versys into a real off road bike I'd get some custom headers fabbed so that they run around the side and not under the bike and then have a small bash plate fabbed to protect the engine casing like this guy did:

635470880_CmJCe-O.jpg

OR go buy a KLX 250 and save your Versys for the road :)

When touring Laos with Ian (KLX250), West (KTM SMC) and KiwiJohn (D-Tracker 250) I realized that when the roads get really rough, you really want a dirt bike! Of course, when the roads are in good repair, then the Versys is the bike to have.

Happy Trails!

Tony

Feb 23, 2010
Thanks for the comments guys.

Versys can never be a substitute for a KLX and I have no intention in taking Versys to extreme off road conditions. This was pretty apparent when we were in Southern Laos at the beginning of this month on 250cc dirt bikes. Some roads would be extremely difficult and not safe on a Versys type of bike.

On the other hand, as you mentioned Tony "the stock headers running UNDER the bike just waiting to be smashed" and I don't want this to happen as I will be hitting some non paved roads from time to time.

I guess the only option is SW-Motech?

Cheers,

Esat

FrankT

Sep 10, 2010
Tony, can you please get you colour coordination right! This looks..this looks...words fail me...