Vietnam - what is latest on bringing in your own bike?

Discussion in 'General Discussion / News / Information' started by rhiekel, Feb 9, 2014.

1. rhiekel

rhiekel Ol'Timer

I really want to get into Vietnam with my bike. Was just wondering what the latest
    info is for getting a Thai plated bike into Vietnam for a couple of weeks. A lot of
    of information I found is a bit out of date, I am fully aware that this is a fluid
    situation. Do not want to fiddle with guides or governmental permissions.....
  2. Loading...

3. TonyBKK

TonyBKK Ol'Timer

^ well, that's the rub, isn't it...

Speaking to some of my friends from Vietnamese biker club ACEMTSG recently they said there are rumors about the Vietnamese government relaxing some of the rules on temporary import of foreign registered vehicles, but for the time being you still need to arrange all the paperwork and permits via a govt licensed tour company. Personally it sounds like more hassle than its worth. I'd rather just fly in, pick up a rental bike from Flamingo Travel and hit the road.
  4. DavidFL

DavidFL Administrator Staff Member

5. rhiekel

rhiekel Ol'Timer

Ok well there goes that dream. Guess I just have to stick with Laos and Cambodia, and wait for
    Vietnam and Burma to come to their senses and let riders in by themselves without tour guide nonsense.
  6. TonyBKK

TonyBKK Ol'Timer

Since when do you let pesky rules and borders affect your travel plans? Aren't you the fellow who made it all the way to China without "officially" crossing a single border? That was EPIC!!!! :thumbup: