Vintage Single-cylinder bike

May 25, 2006
HuaHin
Hi Franzs,

A very good realisation my friend, seems to be polished every where and looks like brand new. The saddle is very nice, congratulation for the work and achievement.

pee

Mar 10, 2006
Congratulations Franz...
On top of all the good things that have been said about this thumper along this thread, just another good point. These bike are good health monitor... The kick start exercise tell you when you smoke too much, etc...

In order to keep on smoking my daily box of cigarettes I found great help at this small street mecchanic:
Ek.jpg

Khun Ek set up my SRX6 perfectly. Then first attempt was successful most times. He is in Bangkok though... Just mention him to balance the nasty Thai mecchanic "improvisation" you discovered when starting your great renovation job.
All the best,

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
Hi guys Gobs-Colin-Azoulay-Eric, many thanks for your nice comments, aaaah that motivates me for another one :oops: :wink: !! Serious, if I can get hold of one more registered 6er I'm gonna customise it to be something close to a motard.
Eric you're right about the health indication, today I'm gonna fix the decompressor, until now I had to kickstart it with full compression and that was really nasty :twisted: , good that she starts at least at the third attempt now. :p
Cheers, Franz

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
After finishing the SRX6 there was still the battered, parts-stripped and incomplete SRX4 in my yard and needed some attention. After several weekends and some outwork by Nut at Pistonshop (painting, seat, tyres) I finally got also this one up and running. Still I miss some minor parts like lower petcock, rear footpegs & brackets, handlebar weights, RPM line. But should manage to get them somewhere..... :? . When complete it will then leave for its new home in Phrae.....to my partners father...... :D
So now there's still the DR 650 to be fixed up and the NT400 to do, well that would fill another xx weekends.... :? .
That was now the 5th SRX series in 2 years........enough :lol: , or maybe not.... :wink:

Before restauration:
SRX4sparebikebefore-sm.jpg

After restauration & technical fixing which took most of the time:
SRX4sparebikeafter2-sm.jpg

SRX4sparebikeafter1-sm.jpg

Cheers, Franz

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
After finishing, found the seat to be too much like a lollipop, so changed the leather and added a rack from stainless steel with a Givi topcase, so now it's a real commuter......

FR-YamahaSRX600-left.jpg

Further on did I finish the Honda-NT400Bros for my partner, here she is newly restored, but not too much detail work:

FR-HondaNT400Bros-left.jpg

FR-HondaNT400Bros-right.jpg

cheers, Franz

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
Thanks David, just wonder when Fiu's gonna drop her the first time....... :smile1: :lol: , knock on wood, hope he really doesn't 'franz' it..... :thumbup: , cheers, Franz

bard

Oct 2, 2008
Franz I know of 2 off Kawasaki Estrella for sale, one in mint condition the other one good mechanical condition but finishing is not mint.

Let me know if you're interested and I will burn down and take some pictures for you.

Cheers Bard

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
Thanks Bard !! Only interesting if genuine books and 650 displacement, if you could just check these 2 details I would be grateful. No grey/restamped books as I do register my bikes in my name here in CNX and that's impossible if something's "doctored". But much much more I'm looking for a plated (not Prachinburi) legal SR500. Txs//cheers, Franz

bard

Oct 2, 2008
I have requested all the information for you Franz, checked both up today they are both 650 singles. I have sent a copy of the details to my mate in the transportation department to check up the legality of the books. When I get the answer I will let you know.

Cheers Bard

bard

Oct 2, 2008
Hi Franz,

Checked up the greenbooks today and they are (grey), however I can get new legal books on both of them but that cost more money, so it depends on your budget.

Cheers Bard

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
SRX6 is in the hospital (own hobby workshop) again, blew the headgasket the second time :thumbdown: . OK, taking out the engine, removing the head I found that the 2 left bolts fo fix the head to the cylinder were loose. Threads in the cylinder of this Ebay purchase have already inserts and even they were not done properly, sitting much too loose. Scratching my head, will have to do new inserts one up from M8 to M10. That's the fun of old bikes you never know what comes up next.... :mrgreen: ....so will need to keep on fixing......It's now like with soldiers when they take apart and assemble their guns blindfolded, I think I'm that far already with the SRX'ses..... :smile1:
Well and in reply to above posts, Fiu dropped his Bros and I had to do the whole front anew, but now she runs sweet and torquey....... :thumbup:
Rgds, FR

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
So now to bring an end to this post, the sweet little thumper SRX600 has changed ownership today, new proud owner is Art (Blister) and I wish him many happy trips on her. As an 25 years old bike I suggested to him that some tools back home might come in handy; although fully restored, one can't x-ray metal with his/her eyes.
Now I'm down to 3 bikes again. Actually perfect but......what will I do other than working, biking,.......
So what now, I might start a new post like: "90's twin enduro bike".........what my new restauration baby will be ? Don't tell yet only 4 guys know, still not arrived at my stable but for guys who like to guess: it's a Yamaha again, so that isn't too difficult is it ??
Cheers, Franz

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
.....and this thread is not finished yet, it got a new life as my former partner decided that he has no money and needs to sell the Honda NT400 Bros. So now she's back in my house and I nearly shed some tears when seeing in what a bad state and shape she was, all that meticulous work for nothing, would have been better off in not doing any restauration on her. He obviously crashed her several times, so here we go again. Will take some fotos tomorrow during daylight and then start working soon. Needs some new paintwork, levers, welding of the exhaust, mirrors, battery, indicators, seals, and the list goes on, well this one now stays.......cheers, Franz

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
Hi Ian, yes great little bike it is, after closer inspection, damage is mainly minor and cosmetical, so estimated costs of getting her up again should not be more than THB 15 to 20k. Considering I spent all in all already 130k+ THB the first time while resoring her and bought her back again, this amount is also minor but also that's then a bike I shouldn't give away or sell anymore.....cheers, Franz

Jun 15, 2011
Hello Franz and Bard. Re: Kawasaki Estrella. I've just sold one of these and have to say it's a reliable, nice and solid bike. Quite heavy but I liked it very much. I'm surprised to see Bard say the two bikes he mentions are 650's. I thought Kawasaki only made the Estrella as a 250 ( 249cc ). If you research the bike, there are websites that say Kawasaki still make the Estrella but only sell it in Japan, so if you do buy one, bits shouldn't be that hard to source.

Mar 19, 2004
LOOKING for an ENFILED INDIA
I used to the know the import man, who lived in Chiang Rai some 10 yrs. ago.
Meanwhile they imported a few container loads from Madras to BKK and sold some, whereas the average Thai rider
ruined the bike in notime....Anybody knows somemone you drives such a single cylinder vintage bike?
thks.

Jun 15, 2011
Sorry, I do not know anyone who has an ' Old Bullet ' ( Royal Enfield ), but I will certainly ask around for you and let you know if I find anything.

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
CS-Peter, sorry, don't know anybody else other than Hoghead who has an "Enfield", was watching websites myself for a year for a plated one to no avail, quite difficult to get one.
Finnomick, that Estrella is a nice piece of work, yes the 650 would be my choice. Had a look at a plated XS650 months ago but soooo many original parts were missing so I gave her a miss.....anyway, still trying to get a plated SR500 not a jap 400. There was one for sale in Pattaya, had a friend of mine (good reliable mechanic) have a look at that one and he said he wouldn't even chip out THB 50k for that one.........even with the plate.......
Now as stated before I got my old NT400Bros back in a sorry state but after 2 long weekends and a lot of cursing, oily fingers and the like she runs again, just await some more parts for carbs and clutch and then she's ready to go.....
Bros-2-sm.jpg

Bros-4-sm.jpg

Always need a bike to be able to tinker with......55555
Currently have her rego transferred from Phrae to CNX, plate & book are already waiting at my 'broker'. So if I could only get the parts I need a litten quicker.....
Cheers, Franz

Pichus

Sep 12, 2011
Hi, Franz
Greeting from bangkok

I'm really enjoy reading your Forum here, I really looking for the SRX or Single-Cylinder bike with Legal ( or Gray ) Reliable bike off to work. Most of the bike selling are mess up andI 'm not an machanic's guy like you. If you Selling one of your bike again please let me know.
Thank you.

Pchus

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
Hi Pichus, sorry all my SRX'ses have gone, last was the SRX600. Left and maybe soon for sale will be the NT400Bros which is a V2. Still await new clutchplates and springs, further neutral switch and new main & pilot jets for the carbs. All other glitches have already been sorted & repaired, Bike already was transferred from Phrae (before that I had it registered in Chon) and now has a Chiang Mai plate. She's a very good commuter and not as thirsty as the SRX.