Wanted Yamaha TDM900 no older than 4 years

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Buy and Sell' started by KenYam, Feb 13, 2008.

1. KenYam

KenYam Ol'Timer

Wanted Yamaha TDM900 no older than 4 years. Would appreciate any info on this bike as I have read all the normal specs and just want a change from 4 inline motors. Well done on this site it certainly has helped my education on the bike scene here. I have recently retired to Chiang Mai and am looking forward to find a good ride to enjoy the north scenery.

2. Loading...

3. SilverhawkUSA

SilverhawkUSA Ol'Timer

The TDM is a good choice, if you can find one. My TDM850 has covered most areas of N. Thailand and Laos without a hiccup. Many of those were places that people say a "road bike" could not go. Good luck in your search.

4. HIKO

HIKO Ol'Timer

Yes I agree the TDM is a good choice. I have two 850 myself. But anyhow I think it will be next to impossible to find a TDM 900 in Thailand. There is very few around. Probably you have to order it.

HIKO

5. monsterman

monsterman Ol'Timer

TDM 850-900 excellent machines , but bland I owned a 850 in 1991-92 toured in Europe. reliable,flexible and tough,, gearboxes are clunky but tough.
    People tend to hang on to them so goodluck in finding a good one.

Hiko is correct may be worth ordering one from japan.

6. KenYam

KenYam Ol'Timer

Thanks for all the info guys, very good. But more questions can anybody recommend a bike shop in Chiang Mai who can provide a good reliable honest service of ordering a TDM900 as the Yammy dealer in CNX doesn't sell this model, anyone know if the BKK dealer does ?

Monsterman you have mentioned Big new Honda's can be purchased in Thailand now where please ? If I am not successful with the TDM900 which I have read is a little smoother than the 850 model, thanks for your input.

7. SilverhawkUSA

SilverhawkUSA Ol'Timer

Although we say that the TDM is a good motorcycle, we have also learned in Thailand that many times you must take what you can get and not necessarily exactly what you want. I think you will have a lot of difficulty and expense trying to get a TDM imported here.

Now that Yamaha and Triumph are offering legitimate new imported "big" bikes I would recommend finding a model in their imported product line that you like and can live with and save yourself a lot of headaches.

8. KenYam

KenYam Ol'Timer

Yes Silverhawk I understand and agree with you but I will start at the top of my wish list then work my way down as it's already been suggested by a shop in CNX forget the TDM. I was hoping somebody might have more info. The same shop suggested a 2004 CB1300 for 160K with book and plates which does seem very good if true, I will just keep trying by process of elimination, another bike that has a good rap is the new Honda CBF1000 if I could buy new depending on price. I have already found big bikes here are more expensive than Australia - the new Tiger is also great but 740K is a bit rich for me. I will just keep riding my phamtom until the something decent turns up, old buggers like me can wait.

9. KenYam

KenYam Ol'Timer

The saga continues no secondhand TDM's new is 540,000 B too much.
    The CB1300 2004 model is now 320,000B not 160,000 communication problem again, shit.

Ken F

10. monsterman

monsterman Ol'Timer

CB1300 320000 is way over priced 280,000 maybe .but in Pattaya I have seen them foir 220-250,000 with registration.

keep looking.

11. Pikey

Pikey Ol'Timer

Ken,

Try Joe of Joe's Bike Team at Soi 2, Chang Moi Rd in CNX. Drop in rather than call as he is a busy man. He's got great connections throughout Thai and may be able to source a TDM for you.

BTW, agree with you about 4 cylinders - twins are much more "soulful", be it parallel, V or boxer..... lovely engines :D

Cheers,

Pikey.