Wanted

Oct 12, 2005
MBT,

Obviously you don't know me. Doing the correct thing and spending winter over there would be the rational thing since I enjoy bikes. I always seem to get things wrong (ask any of my ex GF's for verification). One thing is for certain is that I shall be spending more of next winter over there to increase my dirt biking season and potentially frolic in the glow of many Miss Hilltribe contests. Quaffing a brew with fellow dirt heathens like yourself could also keep me over for longer.

Chinosake - sorry for the obvious thread hi-jack. So to address your searching. After spending 7 months thrashing about chiang Mai i can 3rd Pikeys and Silverhawks recommendation of a small get about town bike (step through, 150cc, etc)for 80% of your city riding.

If you plan on only a motorbike and no car. Get something you can ferry plastic shopping bags back from the market/Lotus. 10k spent on a second hand scooter will save you the aggrevation of riding a full size bike in city congestion. When riding a 400cc bike for a week through the city during rush hour I despised the larger bike with clip-ons and rear-sets. Whilst good for scraping through the canyons were murder wading through the traffic.

Good luck.

anon

Nov 14, 2006
Something doesn't ring true chinosnake.You wrote BMW FS 400 twice but then changed to a F650 when challenged ( some typo) You are very interested in photos and specs of the bikes for sale.Are you a japanese policeman trying to locate stolen bikes or somebody trying to locate bikes to steal or are you a serial tyre kicker or .....

Jul 17, 2006
So slowly we get it: There are some guys here who seem to be at the wrong place! Cheap charlies (if not to say idiots) with no real intention to buy a bike because they can not nearly afford one. I'm sick of all these daydreamers who only pretend, talk like real bikers, inquire about every bike on the market but don't have any means to purchase one.
I suggest a special "Honda Dream" forum for them: this would represent their state of mind (dreaming) and at the same time show the "class" of bike they can possibly afford.
Also invited are all chatting about their dreams coming true when big companies open stores soon and sell their bikes in Thailand. Guys: Even if - most of you simply couldn't afford it!
Unfortunately Thailand still attracts all kind of (broke) subjects who basically nobody wants to have around.

Pikey

www.tbbtours.com
Winston,

Agree that Chinosnake seems to be asking a lot of questions and showing interest in a wide variety of bikes advertised here but regarding your comment about big companies opening and selling bikes here and most of us not being able to afford them - who the f*ck are you to make such a sweeping statement???

Waaay out of order.......[:(!]

Pikey.

Jul 17, 2006
To all who are offended like pikey I would like to clarify my comment:
I was not addressing anyone in person (also not chinosnake). Reading many post to many topics I simply can't help myself getting certain impressions.

I've been around here for quite a while and it's basically the same wherever you go: Farang meeting (in person or in forums) tend to show off, tell stories and present themselves as someone they maybe like to be, but aren't.
It no shame to have limited means for sure, but why do I have to tolerate to be annoyed by pretenders who inquire about things (bikes) they can't afford anyway.

It is widely accepted that there are mainly 3 groups of (western) foreigners coming to Thailand in order to work/stay here:
1. sent by their companies and paid well in dollar or euro (I guess 5% in this forum);
2. well-off retired people, guys running a decent business on their own (on their Thai wifes) or teachers being on an acceptable contract at an international school (my guess is 15% here);
3. retired people with limited money and mostly "teachers" who for different reasons (I really don't want to go into that) come here and survive from month to month, or guys who run some kind of small business and struggle to earn what the law (and local beer bar mafia) demands (I think 50% here).
The rest in this forum (30%) are tourist and bikers who want to spend their holiday on a bike in this region.
Maybe I'm totally wrong about this but I don' think so.

In addition to this I learned that people who have money don't talk about it in public: if they want to buy a real bike (no 1992 Africa Twin in "mint" condition!) in Thailand they simply go to BMW, Motozone or Ducatisti and buy one.
These guys simply are in no need to let everyone know they will buy a brandnew Duke as soon as KTM will be here.

I invite anyone to produce official statements of companies (e.g. press releases of KTM or Triumph - not hearsay or beer talk), prove your (no personal address again!) statements and I will admit my mistake and finally hope you'll have the money to fulfill your dream.

MBT

Dec 2, 2006
Big & Tall,
Dont worry I usually get things wrong (apart from staying 100% in Thailand). I live in a region where off road is 90% of the riding yet I own 2 road bikes and a scooter (scooter superb for off roading)and my dirt bike is in Chiang mai where all the riding is road work!?

Just leaving soppong now to alter things around and hopefully buy myself another new (second hand) dirt bike however I have this nagging feeling I am going to come back with an Army Jeep not another bike! Great to have loads of decisions to make and not give a f*** if its the right decision or not!

On the subject of hilltribe contests... Watching a staged contest is fine but the real contest is if you get involve with one how long will it last? Always best to stay in a hilltribe village with beautiful girls in the crowd when not quaffing beer otherwise all sorts of life changing problems rear their ugly head!

Come up and see us here when your back in Thailand.

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
Winston-

I disagree with practically everything you have written. I don't want to get into another pi##ing match here, but you are way off base. I know you "have been around here for quite a while" (I see you have 9 posts and a member since July 06) so I am sure you are qualified to judge the members and those who post here.

Many of us do not fit into any of the categories that you are trying to stick people. Many times we talk about hearsay and someone will clarify it to the benefit of all. Many have dreams of bikes they would like to own. So what? And what makes you believe that "if they want to buy a real bike (no 1992 Africa Twin in "mint" condition!) in Thailand they simply go to BMW, Motozone or Ducatisti and buy one"? I don't like any of them but many others do, their choice or their dream, up to them.

Long time members here have to put up with many personalities, many, many, repeat questions and answers, and many different ideas and viewpoints. Sometimes we argue or debate, and sometimes we get a little beligerant, true. But I think you are way over the top on your criticism and you many ASSUMPTIONS.

You ask "but why do I have to tolerate to be annoyed by pretenders who inquire about things (bikes) they can't afford anyway?" You don't. Like they say about objectionable TV, if you don't like it change the channel!

Jul 17, 2006
I agree to better stop discussing a matter where opinions may differ too much. And I really think that this is not the right place for such a topic anyway. If everyone sticks to usefull topics and contributions it's surely a helpfull place.

Oct 12, 2005
This place is better than the telly for entertainment[:D].

Winston definitely not the way to swagger into a room and make friends with posts stereotyping everyone. Though brownie points to you for pulling back on the stick to keep from nosediving into the earth as judgemental &*^%.

MBT said
quote:

but the real contest is if you get involve with one how long will it last?

Lasting relationships, wow, what a concept. I'll see if I can ramp up my averages on the next trip over.

Klaus

Mar 8, 2004
So what happened to Chinoshake? He sort of got lost in the discussion. Is he going to buy my Kawasaki Nighthawk 175 XL or not? It's a great bike around town!

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
quote:

Originally posted by winston

I agree to better stop discussing a matter where opinions may differ too much. And I really think that this is not the right place for such a topic anyway. If everyone sticks to usefull topics and contributions it's surely a helpfull place.

Winston
Wow & congratulations, you really stirred the pot there mate. (You’ve even outdone Flying Kev the Kiwi!)
I’m glad I kept out of this one, but I would like to see you contribute some road & trip reports for you to get credibility & prove that you are indeed a rider; which is what this board is supposed to be - a rider's board.
For me it doesn’t matter what you ride, as long as you do ride, & don’t sit on the sidelines nagging like the mother-in-law sitting in the back seat all the time.

Now where’s that Chinosnake who started all this & wants a
1. young bike (touring/sport/custom) around 400-850 CC.
2. mainly for use in town and occasionally on the highway.
3. will consider a 250 bike, because it's the horsepower that interest me more though????
4. but has ridden bikes for 6 years like the shadow 850, Triumph Roadstar and BMW FS 400???
Chinosnake you got me, but undoubtedly you’d be a winner on whatever bike you thought you were riding…..
Regardless I hope you get something suitable & enjoy riding in Thailand. But when you get to Chiang Mai don’t forget to look up the Golden Triangle riders.
Someone will do the Samoeng loop with you & after the event sit down have a chat, a beer, a laugh & welcome you to our part of the world.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Some words of advice from Big & Tall who fitted in real well with the GT Rider clan……..

http://board.gt-rider.com/topic.asp?TOP ... rms=phuket

I made a few mistakes on my 6 month stay in northern Thailand. First off don’t waste time trying to find the perfect bike over here. I waffled around for waaaay to long trying to decide what bike would work best for what I needed over here. Looking for a registered and plated late model KTM 640 Adventure is easy in the states and would make a nice ride over here. Problem is you can’t be choosey since bike availability is limited compared to our home countries. Bikes over here are like 2:00 a.m. in a bar back home. You take what you can get. This is especially so if you are on a short time frame. Trust me, all of my memorable times over here came from the terrain I was in and the people I had around me. Not whether the rebound dampening of my front forks soaked up the pavement wrinkles adequately or not. You can always pick up another bike later on but get anything to get you mobile and begin your adventures.

Once you pick up a bike expect to spend some money to get it up to your standards. If it was Thai owned previously chances are it has had some monkey wrenching to keep it going. Plan on extra money to be spent on quality chain, sprockets, brake pads, bearings, etc then you can ride your mount with confidence.

Expect the unexpected traveling over here. Nothing is ever going to go according to plan especially traveling over here. If you have expectations of seamless perfection you will be disappointed.

My stay in country was absolutely wonderful. I traveled all over northern Thailand on bikes ranging from my Honda NSR 150 SP, GSXR 400, and Honda XR 250’s. Loads of fun on all of them. Most important were the people I met. This board provided an insight into a community that opened the doors to some really great times, many laughs, and of course loads of miles of fun riding. I had trips with the likes of Silverhawk, BarryBBQ, Pikey, Suzukiluke, Danny, Snail, Jonadda, etc that really entrenched in my mind the joys of riding over here. All these people opened their lives up to me and shared their insights, laughter and ribbing that makes for great friendships. From blasting the 1148 at 200KPH with SuzukiLuke to being upside down under my XR 250 too many times with BarryBBQ, and sharing countless laughs, smiles, and many miles with Silverhawk and Pikey I really owe it to you all for making my stay a really wonderful and fulfilling experience. Silverhawk presented me with a framed photograph of our last ride together that is a treasured display reminding me of what a great bunch of guys the GT-riders are, thank you so much guys for adding memories that are too numerous to count and have me yearning for my next stay over there in a few months……….

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
My Buddha! Am I just a dreamer? Do I have any money? Could it be something other than a BMW, Ducati and still be a REAL Bike? Is this hearsay or beer talk??.......

Anyway, sorry for the double post but I wanted it to get the attention of those other dreamers;

quote:

Dear bikers

all 2007 Triumph motorcycles are available in Thailand now ( Imported new from Triumph UK)

for more information please contact
(089) 7711 677

I just got off the phone with this gentleman named Yut. He says they have just returned from working out a deal with Triumph Motorcycle and will be the dealer in Thailand. He hopes to have some in his BKK showroom around March. Yes, seeing is believing, but it sounds pretty promising.

I asked Yut to keep us updated and hopefully he will join this board,

(Are you there WINSTON! Maybe apology time is coming.)

Pikey

www.tbbtours.com
Hold on, let me just pinch myself to ensure I am awake... Yep, I am awake. Thought I was dreaming again then.....

Good stuff Dave, and Rhodie said much the same thing last night having also talked with Yut.

Now, shall I dip into my meager savings and order a Thruxton or a T100 Scrambler? Wait a mo, what the heck [;)], I'm feeling extravagant today so maybe I'll order one of each. [:D]

See you on the road Winston (IF your boss will let you take time off from working) . I'll be the one on the Trumpet and I guess you'll be easy to identify because you'll be the one eating the humble pie!!! [;)]

Cheers,

Pikey. (no longer seething but feeling happily belligerent today!)

Oct 22, 2006
quote:

Originally posted by winston
It is widely accepted that there are mainly 3 groups of (western) foreigners coming to Thailand in order to work/stay here:
1. sent by their companies and paid well in dollar or euro (I guess 5% in this forum);
2. well-off retired people, guys running a decent business on their own (on their Thai wifes) or teachers being on an acceptable contract at an international school (my guess is 15% here);
3. retired people with limited money and mostly "teachers" who for different reasons (I really don't want to go into that) come here and survive from month to month, or guys who run some kind of small business and struggle to earn what the law (and local beer bar mafia) demands (I think 50% here).
The rest in this forum (30%) are tourist and bikers who want to spend their holiday on a bike in this region.
Maybe I'm totally wrong about this but I don' think so.

In addition to this I learned that people who have money don't talk about it in public: if they want to buy a real bike (no 1992 Africa Twin in "mint" condition!) in Thailand they simply go to BMW, Motozone or Ducatisti and buy one.

Well, Winston, you certainly managed to offend some people with your observation, but I have to admit you got me dead to rights and I am not that knowledgeable about others, so it is a little hard for me to add my own complaints to those others have posted.

That said, I think it would be fascinating to find out from some of those who object to your categorization of the farang in town what some of the other categories are that you left out, and whether they fall into any of them, and just how populated they think those categories are, and so on. Any takers? [;)]

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
This sounds more like the type discussions they have on Thaivisa.com and not a motorcyclists site. If you want to have a discussion of this type I would suggest it be taken some where else and leave this one to motorcycle related topics. I don't consider "categorization of falang" GT-Rider related.

Pikey

www.tbbtours.com
Yep, once more I agree with both DavidFL and Silverhawk's comments above. As DavidFL said, it doesn't matter what you ride, so long as you ride. That's always been one of the most attractive things to me over my 25 years or so of riding - most people who ride are non-judgemental, be it type of bike, politics, sexual persuasion e.t.c. The common bond is that we have a passion for bikes, whatever "category" we might assign ourselves into or be assigned into by others.

Having said that, a twat is a twat whether they ride or not! [:D]

Cheers,

Pikey.

Oct 22, 2006
quote:

Originally posted by SilverhawkUSA

This sounds more like the type discussions they have on Thaivisa.com and not a motorcyclists site. If you want to have a discussion of this type I would suggest it be taken some where else and leave this one to motorcycle related topics. I don't consider "categorization of falang" GT-Rider related.

Fine by me, but since you offered this comment only after my post and not before, I would like to make sure there is no misunderstanding: I was intending simply to participate in an ongoing discussion, not start a new one.

dotcom

Nov 14, 2006
quote:

Originally posted by Chinosnake

If u want me to hurry than please give all the spes & pics for that price,
Chinosnake

Huh? I need to do the legwork for you?

Maybe you should get off your dead ass & drive over to Red Baron & check it out for yourself.

dotcom

Nov 14, 2006
quote:

Originally posted by Chinosnake

If u want me to hurry than please give all the spes & pics for that price,
Chinosnake

Huh? I need to do the legwork for you?

Maybe you should get off your dead ass & drive over to Red Baron & check it out for yourself.