What safety jackets are you wearing?

Jan 4, 2014
rickypanecatyl;300968 wrote: I keep hearing Paddock and Dirtbike referenced.. where are they located?
http://www.dirtshopthailand.com & http://www.paddock.co.th

Regarding the jacket armour, it's not external as shown on the lefthand side of the image, that's just for illustrative purposes. It's internal in pockets and all fully removable.

The chest and back armour from this jacket clip into my Voyager 3 jacket and the waterproof and thermal jacket liners that came with my Voyager 3 clip into the Multitech.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
rickypanecatyl;300968 wrote: I keep hearing Paddock and Dirtbike referenced.. where are they located?
The GTR Bangkok Bike Shops:

The Chiang Mai Bike Shops

Last edited:

oMega

Aug 12, 2010
so the 6900b version from 320sp . . . what u guys think? CRAP or not.... i guess its not real titanium in this one . . . but steel maybe?... can be safe? or not.........

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
oMega;303180 wrote: so the 6900b version from 320sp . . . what u guys think? CRAP or not.... i guess its not real titanium in this one . . . but steel maybe?... can be safe? or not.........
Worked fine for me in Feb 2014. Absolutely no complaints.

Go here
if you want to see what happened.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2010
3 years ago I bought a full-leather RIVIT jacket at Panda Rider and I am still using it. It as elbow, shoulder and back protection. Of course when I had my accident I was wearing a leather summer jacket from Spidi Leather. It came with elbow, shoulder & back protection ... but I removed it as I intended to use it as light city jacket. But it did it's job very well.

I like real leather ... a bit perforated. I think leather breaths as most other jackets are made from what I call "plastic" and do not breath. Nice cool when you riding, sweating like a pig when you in front of a traffic light. My wife has a nice RIVIT jacket also ... half cotton and half "plastic". She seems not to be sweating in it. Also not when not moving.

With my accident I also learned .... CLOSE your jacket, pockets and sleeves when riding. CLOSE all zips! And your jacket should be a bit tight.

There are no safe trips, just ALWAYS wear the best you can afford. And for me ONLY full-face helmets.

Jan 4, 2014
The comment about closing jacket pockets and zips, could you explain? Is it due to zips catching / tearing in a slide?

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
Well after my health condition and weight improved and Ken's weight even increased we agreed that I could buy back my RACER gear which is perfect for the cold season, it's called SUMMERFUN jacket and trousers and suits me now since several years, only downside is that I bought it in black which is not the safest colour to wear riding in the evenings.

Summerfunjacketfront-sm_zps7c2bfe4a.jpg

Summerfuntrousers-sm_zpsb0461398.jpg

Both have all necessary CE approved protectors and are a local Austrian brand, not cheap but the quality is very high, had also a blue one and crashed with that at least 5 times but it never showed a mark other than some surface scratches.
I always close all zips and wear it very tight, the RACER ones have sufficient Velcro straps to even tighten the arms/legs so during a crash nothing can shift and the protectors stay where they should and do their job as they were designed for.

But as black is not the best colour for the hot season so here I use a white-red KOMINE set bought at Proshop-PADDOCK in Bangkok on Ratchada which is the coolest and most ventilated set I ever had; jacket called JK043 and pants called PK709 with even kneesliders attached. All sizes are 2XL although naturally the japanese Komine is a tighter fit and as usual Asia cannot agree to any worldwide standards at all so be careful once you buy something locally made and don't rely on sizes shown, a 2XL here might be at best a L in overseas.

As for Austria I am still having my winter set by RACER and for warmer times an IXL jacket which is getting quite tight already but still does its job. Anyway now with a faster bike there the Racer VENTO set is anyway my best choice. All three sets (jackets & pants) were inbetween 16 and 24,000.- THB and are worth the cash I spent.

As for helmets I do use SHARK exclusively, for boots I am now using DAYTONA, SIDI and RACER and for gloves RACER Speedtop and for scooting around some Progrip light ones. Additionally all my bikes have proper tools in them, all a tyre repair set, the FZ6 and Tmax are even equipped with a small aircompressor/CO2 cartridges to get me going anywhere.
And most important of all, all bikes do carry a First Aid Kit which came in handy already several times not only for myself but also for some unfortunate locals who went down, anyone still wondering why I am carrying topboxes on all my 2 wheels ? Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand of course a waterbottle is always in there too, not only to be able to get rid of dehydration in the sticks but also to clean some scratches and wounds. So is that all ? Yep, hope that helps some guys and for the ones that still laugh at me, well, your time will come too and after that hopefully you will be willing to carry a little more gear when riding.

Reactions: Eoin Christie

Erik

Feb 21, 2019
Been a while since anyone posted to this thread, but I was pointed in this direction and love the idea behind it. Certainly would be happy to hear anyone's feedback of how gear did in the unfortunate event of taking a spill.

But, as to what I'm wearing now, I just arrived in Khao Koh, my first trip wearing my Revit Traction 2 jacket and Gear 2 pants. I picked them up second hand and got a great deal on them, they were practically in mint condition.

I think they've been replaced by Traction 3, but it's pretty much the same. Haven't taken a slide in them (knock wood), but can recommend them for Thailand's climate. They have good quality, thick leather where it counts and dense mesh everywhere else. Short of going full leather, I think these are worth considering. I'm also wearing the CE2 back insert and CE1 hip inserts.

20190304_201314.jpg 20190304_201413.jpg

Also ordered a Revit Akira Air perforated leather jacket for those times I want to ride fast, which is most of the time unfortunately. It's on the way, being shipped from The Netherlands, so full write up when it arrives. But, having tried one on at Panda Rider, it's a top quality jacket. Below is the black, which I ordered. Panda has a sale on the distressed vintage brown version. 18,000 B from 23,000 B... but the vintage version doesn't use race grade leather.

revit_akira_air_jacket_black_750x750.jpg

Reactions: Eoin Christie

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Its been stinking hot again for a couple of weeks, 40 plus on the road & I've finally weakened.
1712590371465.jpeg

Time to try & cool down a bit whilst riding.

1712590414266.jpeg

1341 baht on Aliexpress & sadly a size to small. 4XL, but can't get an 5XL, no matter where I try, so far.
Plus a 2.5 litre hydration pack that goes in my handlebar pouch.
1712591461816.jpeg

Morningrider

Subscribed
May 19, 2023
There are a few with 5XL available, like this one: Aliexpress

Herobiker.jpg

Herobiker Size.jpg

So cheap! I'm still using the Dainese "Ninja Turtle" I bought 15 years ago, with one zipper replacement two years ago. It's not as tight as it used to be, but the Komine mesh jacket holds it in place anyway in the event of a slide. My Dainese Wave 2 Neck cost S$1000 at JR Pte in Singapore, before the days of AliExpress shopping. It's incredible how cheap the Chinese Ninja Turtles are now, without the CE certifications of course, which is probably why JR doesn't stock Dainese Ninja Turtles anymore.

Morningrider

Subscribed
May 19, 2023
If anyone’s interested in the story, I switched from an armored mesh jacket to a ninja turtle worn under a mesh jacket because of an accident in Thailand. I had joined a BMW Club ride to Thailand in February 2009. Six BMW boxers began the ride in Singapore, one R, one RT, and four GS. The two week trip actually took two months to complete.

The first day, one BMW, still under warranty, broke down and had to be towed away: its transmission input shaft had failed. Five bikes continued.

The third day, the second BMW broke down: the aftermarket Ohlins front shock absorber dumped its oil, making the undamped bike almost unrideable, so the rider rode it to Chiang Mai for repair. Four bikes continued.

The fourth day, on R1088, the third BMW broke down, mine: the fuel pump failed. Moments later, the fourth BMW ran off a curve into a ditch while racing with the alpha male group leader on their GSs. The rider who lost the race, who was wearing an armored mesh jacket and full-face helmet, broke several ribs and was badly bruised but was able to stand up and limp away in pain. His new bike was a write-off but was covered by insurance. We flagged down two pickup trucks and offered cash to transport his bike and mine to Chiang Mai BMW. So by the end of the fourth day, only two out of the original six BMWs were still on the road.

The injured rider was an orthopedic surgeon, who diagnosed himself and had x-rays taken for confirmation. He and I were not wearing ninja turtles, so neither of us had any front protection. Others in the group were wearing ninja turtles. He explained to us laymen that if you crash head-on (how many of us crash going backwards?) your rib cage can kill you in minutes, because if the sternum is broken it can puncture the heart, and broken ribs often collapse the lungs. We all flew home for two months while the doctor healed his ribs and Chiang Mai BMW healed or replaced the bikes. While waiting in Singapore he and I bought ninja turtles, worn under our existing mesh jackets by removing their built-in armor, and I’ve worn mine ever since.

After that trip I went back to riding solo.

2009-01-30 Perlis Crossing.JPG

2009-02-02 Group Ride.JPG

2009-03-25 Mae Hong Song Road.JPG

Reactions: DavidFL

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
There are a few with 5XL available, like this one: Aliexpress

View attachment 154910

View attachment 154909
So cheap! I'm still using the Dainese "Ninja Turtle" I bought 15 years ago, with one zipper replacement two years ago. It's not as tight as it used to be, but the Komine mesh jacket holds it in place anyway in the event of a slide. My Dainese Wave 2 Neck cost S$1000 at JR Pte in Singapore, before the days of AliExpress shopping. It's incredible how cheap the Chinese Ninja Turtles are now, without the CE certifications of course, which is probably why JR doesn't stock Dainese Ninja Turtles anymore.

Thanks for that I couldn't see a 5XL before & asked & the response was no stock.
What is interesting is the hero biker size chart is "one size bigger: than the shop I ordered from
Hero biker size chart
1712842867898.jpeg

The shop I ordered from had this size chart
1712843010087.jpeg

a 4XL should fit @ Hero Biker, but I think I will err on the big size & take a 5XL.
My order is in for a Hero Biker 5XL @ 964 baht - can't complain about the price.
Many thanks for the tip off.