What?

Discussion in 'Northern Thailand - Road Trip Reports' started by Auke, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Auke

Auke Ol'Timer

Tried to read a message in the

Accommodation - North Thailand

By LOCATION: Topics; Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Mae Hong Son etc...
    Details; Resort, Hotel, Guesthouse, Home-stay etc.

but got the message:

You do not have the required permissions to read topics within this forum.

Is this something new as I have never seen this message before.

2. Franz

Franz Ol'Timer

Same with me Auke, Ben please help us to fix this glitch. Thanks, Franz

3. Champasak

Champasak Ol'Timer

Hi guys

New forum - the access permissions did not get set correctly for "guest" users. Please try it again now.

We've re-ordered Forum Categories slightly, to make things more consistent, and hopefully a little less cluttered.

The Forum / Category you were trying to access has been created as part of developing a more effective way to structure the "Recommended Spots" so that its easier to find whats available in any specific location. Currently, the Recommended Spots are all jammed into a single Topic.

We are considering organising them into Categories, by Location to make things a bit easier / faster to find.

Regards

Ben

4. Auke

Auke Ol'Timer

Ben,

Tried this again at 9.44 a.m. but still the same

Accommodation - North Thailand

By LOCATION: Topics; Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Mae Hong Son etc...
    Details; Resort, Hotel, Guesthouse, Home-stay etc.
    You do not have the required permissions to read topics within this forum.

Please note that both Franz and me are "Revered Old Gits" and not guests and I was logged in (guess Franz was logged in as well) so there should be no problems with having the required permissions.

5. Champasak

Champasak Ol'Timer

Hi Auke

From a forum permissions perspective you are both "Registered Users" - the "revered old gits" aspect is based on Post count only. However, (nearly) all forums should be viewable by anyone at all, logged in or not. Looking at the timing, possibly I've solved the problem since you've last checked, as I was still fiddling with things then.

For example;
    - I can log in under my user ID and view those forums
    - I've got a second PC, viewing the forums as a "guest" user without any problems

Cheers

Ben

6. David Learmonth

David Learmonth Ol'Timer

I'm having the same problems with these sites as well!

7. Auke

Auke Ol'Timer

Ben,

I was reacting on your first message this morning where you said that permissions were not set correctly for "guest users" reason for me to mention that both Franz and me were registered users. You also mentioned that "Please try it again now" which I did and at that time it still did not work.

Checked it just a few minutes ago and it works now OK . Thanks for your efforts.

Auke

8. Kiwi Cruiser

Kiwi Cruiser Ol'Timer

Hi Auke

No worries. No idea WHY it got messed up - every individual Forum / Category is able to have permissions set individually, and on creation of a new
    forum or category, there's an option to "copy permissions from another forum." Which is what we usually do...

For some reason, it did not work as usual on this occasion! :wtf: It may have been due to the multiple levels of Forum / Categories - I've never done that before.

Any comment on the concept of splitting "Recommended Spots" into Categories by Location? Bright ideas and alternative points of view are always welcomed...

9. Franz

Franz Ol'Timer

Working ! Ben I'll give you comments during next weekend when I have more time, am on B in Bkk. Rgds, FR