Yamaha R1 vs. FJR - impressions

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
Tony & Bard, will be busy for the weekends 9.&10. and then 16.&17. but after that all free for rides. Bira fotos are wonderful, just wonder if Trent now found back to his old Hooligan riding style ?? :? Last time I saw him he threw his body on the sides at every corner even while driving 20km/h..... :lol: :? Gerhard on a superbike? now that will be a challenge :roll: As for Not on a Yamaha, I need to change my horns first to make them louder and frighten him at the parking lot 55555555 :p ........see u soon ! FR

Dec 15, 2009
Hey! What this beeping the horn malarky!?! :lol:
Bakerboy is thinking about going litre......Might not be necessary.... 8)

Paul is a good lad. Used to be my arch rival on track! Then I decided to hang up my racing boots. :(
Below some track pics from days of yonder!
Paul is #27 red R1, me on the green Ninja, now Trent's bike.
ASP_2648Small.jpg

ASP_2659Small.jpg

ASP_2943Small2.jpg

269864745_Kfcei-M-1.jpg

gobs

Feb 8, 2007
Awesome pics Bard and NOAY! Thanks...

As a 70s style rider (meaning body stuck to the bike :roll: ), I'm always amazed by these "contorsions" that give such speed and angle to bikes in curves!

And "your" 3 kilometric tons, Bard! :shock:
Phew!.. Hat down, man.

Very impressive, and all this, I suppose, very efficient!..
But not for me, I'm afraid...
:oops:
But great!

Cheers and enjoy!
Gobs

bard

Oct 2, 2008
Nice piccies NOAY, that's how your old bike is supposed to be ridden.

I heard about trent hanging out on the tour and forced his pillion to do the same even in 20 km/h, I guess he was on his FZ6 as well. He'll get there at the end Franz. On the track he has now gone from the funniest looking riding technique... Looked like a chicken in a banana suit, anyway you had too see to really appreciate it. Now he does way better, so I bet he will have it nailed pretty soon.

Bakerboy want a liter, and if he want it I support it. He certainly can ride well enough to handle one. Even know the bike he is looking at NOAY, and if he rides that one he'll honk the horn on your Tiger for sure ;)

The horn, well we'll ride behind you on the slab and honk the horn to try to get the Tiger to move into Yamaha speed ;) hahahahaha

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
NOAY, amazing pictures and obviously much fun on the racetrack :D , so why didn't that happen at Khao Yai N.P. :wink: ??
Gerhard on a 1000 cc, I think then I must do something quickly on the FJR, was already tough to keep up with his VFR800..... :oops: . Maybe remove the cats and maybe...., no let's wait and see first which 1000cc breadroll he'll sit on...... :p
Trent found back to his former style ? Well that's good news, especially as he won't drop his Fazer so easily again....... :? .
Just trying to be nice and not mention horn-honking again..... :mrgreen: , cheers, Franz

bard

Oct 2, 2008
Got some requests about the sound and the Termi's anyway I recorded this small vid for the curious

Franz, looks like we're heading up North the 15th but I might stay for a while riding up there. 25th We're off to Cambodia on sportbikes together with Yamaha Riders Club (unless they chicken out) and lot's of other good people. Stay in S'Ville for a couple of Nights, rent dirtbikes and go into the National Park for some stunning views. This weekend it's Bira 3 days on the track with at least one day training from Yamaha Race Team Asia.

Guys I love this holiday stuff, really nice :)

Dec 27, 2007
Bard and NOAY- fantastic pics!!! I can see that I'll get properly spanked if I bring my pathetic little 650R out on the track with you guys... :oops:
Trying to drum up some business so that I can afford the 2010 Ninja ZX6r. Think I should be able to give you all a run for your money on that little rocket :mrgreen:
Great to hear that BananaBoy is finally mastering the ZX10R- about damn time!!! Ha ha ha!!!
Looking forward to a great ride the weekend of Jan 15-17th! Sounds like Franz will be busy that weekend so I vote we blast up to Nong Khai for the MC Lobo Bike Party via Nakhon Thai and Loei- awesome roads around there! Can't wait!
Ride On!
Tony

Aug 7, 2003
Pretty sure the lap record at Bira is held by a CBR600. Litre bikes are just not quick enough around the corners, all that power and can't use it all.

Dec 27, 2007
harrythefinn wrote: Pretty sure the lap record at Bira is held by a CBR600. Litre bikes are just not quick enough around the corners, all that power and can't use it all.
Yes, good point. I hear one of the fastest guys at Bira rides a 250 2-stroke. On such a track I think cornering speed is more important than top speed down the one short straight away. Hoping to get my paws on the 2010 ZX6r when it goes on sale in Thailand to put that theory to the test :mrgreen:

bard

Oct 2, 2008
Lap record belongs to a MotoGP 250 2 stroke, the 600 has 1 tenth of a second faster time than liter.

When you ride with the 600's the liter blow them on the straight, downhill, through maximus the rest the 600's are faster (IF and that is IF in very good hands). So for an extremely good rider on a 600 they will barely beat a liter, for the mere mortals the liter beats the 600's easy. This "well correct me if I am wrong NOAY" is due to very few riders are that fast in the curves unless they're pro's so the 600 has nothing on the liter, as the fast sections the liter leaves them in the dirt.

Bakerboy who is a very fast rider in curves, had his VFR800 scraping the fairing (it's true) exhaust and stand last time on Bira, but had no chance of keeping up on the straight, summary he and Frank kept the same speed. Frank did his 2nd day on the track with his liter...

A liter just makes it way easier to keep good lap times, even for amateurs. At the end of the straight my bike did 278 km/h before I hit the brakes, the 600 track bikes can barely reach 200 on the same stretch. Hence you have to be extremely fast in the curves to keep up with liter time. I know I am definitely not that good, very few is and the few race pro.

From being a 600 convert I admit the liter is easier to ride, I would not go back to a 600 again. Not because I just bought a literbike, but because that massive power and grunt makes the bikes much more relaxed, easy and fun to ride. No buzzy gear gear gear, just twist and it grunts and goes.

I loved 600's light and I felt fast, however going liter I have to say the torque alone makes them worth it. In lax speed 90 km/h in 6th gear, I twist and it kicks like mad and goes, try that on a 600 supersport, no way you can do it. You have to stay on top of the rpm all the time feed, rpm gear, always stay on top of the powercurve. Nah I'm older and lazier liter makes it easy...

The price difference even in US is like 30 - 50k baht so what's the point with a 600 supersport unless you are racing that series? The few who do in Thailand are pro's so you'll never reach the level unless you're something we all are not anymore "young" and have time and loads of money to get good enough. Liter is filled with happy amateurs, you can race and within reasonable time and money invested be on the ball with the rest in your class.

Not telling anyone what to buy, but I had the same idea before, go 600 and so on, well I did the unmanly thing and listened to NOAY and other people I know and respect's advice. I went liter and now I understand why they told me so.

Dec 27, 2007
Cheers Bard,

I totally understand the appeal of the liter bikes and am certainly not saying there's anything wrong with them.

I rarely have time to ride track and don't expect to ever race competitively so I really don't care which class has the stronger riders. I've just always felt more comfortable on lighter smaller 600cc bikes.

Sport touring is my thing and I find that on real world roads (or unreal as is sometimes the case here in Thailand :wink: ) that I've never had any trouble keeping up with anyone on my wimpy little Ninja 650R ("R" which does NOT stand for race, right NOAY? :wink: )

Sure I'll occasionally wind her up past 200km/hr, but the places you can do that safely in Thailand are few and far between. I'm much happier throwing the bike around beautiful mountain roads where torque is more important than top end than blasting down a highway.

But hey, that's just me :mrgreen:

Props to the VFR800 and Bakerboy for getting the fairings down! Remember, from the original VFR 750 way back in 1986 to the VFR 800 today, this amazing bike has been at the top of the charts year after year for it's incredible balance of "Sport" and "Touring" prowess.
The original VFR was the basis for the most successful race bike of all time, the VFR750R, internally designated the RC30.
If they weren't so damn expensive and rare here in Thailand (ie. difficult to find parts and service in LOS) I'd probably be riding one today.
Honda_VFR800_1998_black_1.jpg

Happy Trails!

Tony

Dec 27, 2007
bard wrote: idea man, get bakerboy's VFR when he gets his new liter
Naw man, I'd never buy a bike that didn't have some kind of dealer support. Far as I know Khun Boy is the only guy in Bangkok who has some idea of how to fix the VFR and I remember all the hassles Bakerboy has had when he's needed to order parts from overseas. The ER6n and Ninja 650R are pretty basic bikes, but parts are dirt cheap and readily available and service is available all over the country. How many months did it take for Yamaha to fix your Fizzer? When the guy who bought my ER6n ran it into a guardrail it was repaired in a day to the tune of 1200 Baht! Same repairs to the Fizzer (or any import bike) would have taken weeks or months and would have cost 4 or 5 times more...

bard

Oct 2, 2008
insurance pay but valid point Tony, it takes time to get parts for imports. Now I found the solution, order from US dealer and give the parts, keep receipts and they reimburse.

Kawi is a good deal but not the only one, Paul told me how much hassle it was to remove the restrictions on the ZX10R, that is crap what they do to it in Thailand. For what purpose?

Anyway the cost of getting a ZX10R to full level is on par with a new R1, so I would before I buy a ZX6R (if/when they sell it) leave it for a while until the trackboys figure out if it's restricted or not. It probably will be as the ZX10R only crank out 120 bhp while the imports do 180 bhp +, Kawi won't sell the ZX6R unrestricted as that would give the same hp as the ZX10R, wait until you see what they done and how to fix it. Or buy an import, the final sum seems to be the same anyway.

Now this is nothing negative towards Kawasaki nor 600 cc bikes, so please sensitive souls do not take this negative. I have had several Kawasaki's and 600's and I have been a 600 fan for a long time, so I assure anyone my observations has nothing sneaky behind them. I just admit a liter is easier to ride, and beware that the original Kawi dealer might restrict the ZX6R as they done to the ZX10R in Thailand.

Cheers Bard

Dec 15, 2009
Sad to say, thanks to some bigwig in Kawasaki Thailand. Who have felt the need to restrict the ZX10R. I have now stuck them on the list of bikes to avoid in LOS.
Oh well, there is only Honda & Suzuki left.

Fingers crossed that they might just leave the next generation ZX10R alone.
Roll on October!

Sep 4, 2007
Not on a Yamaha wrote: Sad to say, thanks to some bigwig in Kawasaki Thailand. Who have felt the need to restrict the ZX10R. I have now stuck them on the list of bikes to avoid in LOS.
Oh well, there is only Honda & Suzuki left.

Fingers crossed that they might just leave the next generation ZX10R alone.
Roll on October!
From the above, me being clever, I see that Yamaha is missing. Then finally dawns on me, (trying to be clever) that NOAY does suggest that there is a story to be told about why its missing.
Thought it fair to ask, seeing as we are here in the Yamaha Big Bike Riders section of GT-Rider. So story please'..........................

bard

Oct 2, 2008
Hahaha NOAY hates Yamaha of some unknown reason, maybe he was hit by one as a child.

From all the shit he thrown at Yamaha as long as I known him, there is no way he can possibly buy one and not loose all dignity, and face.

Dec 27, 2007
bard wrote: Hahaha NOAY hates Yamaha of some unknown reason, maybe he was hit by one as a child.

From all the shyte he thrown at Yamaha as long as I known him, there is no way he can possibly buy one and not loose all dignity, and face.
LOL! I think NOAY is just pissed and jealous because the guys on the Yammies are racking up way more miles than him... :roll:
He says the yammies are poorly designed, but I've not yet heard of any yammie riders wrecking their wheels recently :wink:
Hey NOAY- been out for a ride lately? 8)
Happy Trails!
Tony

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
A warning to all FJR owners in Thailand !! Last Sunday I did a "Lunch in Pai" run with another 13 local riders which I enjoyed very much (organised by Nut from Pistonshop) on my trusty FJR. Shortly before Pai the back brake started to fail. On the way back it was raining and I had to ride 'Wave speeds' as the backbrake was gone completely.
Yesterday evening I had a look and the problem was easily solved. Screw up is located at Yamaha square's repair shop but can be fixed.
Last time on service there I had the worn original pads replaced by EBC ones. As the FJR has ABS and a split brake system a problem comes up if you do not read the manual before replacing the pads.
The frontbrake lever engages the left front calipers (2 pistons) and the upper piston of the right caliper.
The back brake engages the back caliper and the lower piston of the front right hand side. So upon changing pads and doing things not properly you'll have to bleed as follows:
First open the lower de-airing valve of the lower right hand side front caliper and push the piston in, then close the valve. Put on the new pads and mount the caliper onto the fork again. For bleeding always do the front lower right one first and then the back brake. Obviously the mechanics have only bled the back calipers, so air was left between the valves and the front lower right one which in the end had my brakes fail. Once you do a pad change at any location, please make sure the mechanics understand how the system works.
Cheers, Franz

Dec 27, 2007
Yikes! Thank goodness it was only your back brake!!! Can you imagine losing the front brakes on that road?!

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
Yep Tony, was already a pain in the ass of having to ride her down that hills on wet & slippery roads in mainly first and second gear, just looking at some drops on the sides gave me the creeps. Anyway, will have to go for conventional service soon and will have the mechanics listen to the little lesson about FJR brakes I'll give them......555555......cheers, Franz

Oct 17, 2006
Franz the brakes should be flush bled with Fresh brake fluid after 2 years anyway as they collect water moisture and that degrades the effectivness especially in this climate

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
Yes I know Jerry, that's why I used one bottle of Ate DOT4 2 days ago............brakes work perfect again, so, can again push her a little more...55555.......cheers, Franz

Tubber

Oct 20, 2006
Franz;269099 wrote: A warning to all FJR owners in Thailand !! Last Sunday I did a "Lunch in Pai" run with another 13 local riders which I enjoyed very much (organised by Nut from Pistonshop) on my trusty FJR. Shortly before Pai the back brake started to fail. On the way back it was raining and I had to ride 'Wave speeds' as the backbrake was gone completely.
Yesterday evening I had a look and the problem was easily solved. Screw up is located at Yamaha square's repair shop but can be fixed.
Last time on service there I had the worn original pads replaced by EBC ones. As the FJR has ABS and a split brake system a problem comes up if you do not read the manual before replacing the pads.
The frontbrake lever engages the left front calipers (2 pistons) and the upper piston of the right caliper.
The back brake engages the back caliper and the lower piston of the front right hand side. So upon changing pads and doing things not properly you'll have to bleed as follows:
First open the lower de-airing valve of the lower right hand side front caliper and push the piston in, then close the valve. Put on the new pads and mount the caliper onto the fork again. For bleeding always do the front lower right one first and then the back brake. Obviously the mechanics have only bled the back calipers, so air was left between the valves and the front lower right one which in the end had my brakes fail. Once you do a pad change at any location, please make sure the mechanics understand how the system works.
Cheers, Franz

Hi Franz
I changed the front pads on the FJR a few months ago but didn't have any problems. I am not too sure what you are trying to say. I know the FJR has a linked braking system but haven't been able to get a manual, Sin was going to give me a copy but I didn't have a flash drive. When you change the pads and push the pistons back in how does air get in the system? Doesn't it just push the fluid back in to the reservoir, front or back? As long as the level doesn't drop too low, i.e. below the level of the master cylinder piston where does air get in. If you were going to sell your FJR how much do you reckon it is worth? I was in Red Baron yesterday, some interesting things.
Regards
Jim