Yamaha R1 vs. FJR - impressions

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
Hi Jim, some misunderstanding, I won't sell the FJR.........this one stays although such a heavy pig.......55555
Well I don't know what they did but my last service I had them change the back pads and after this i noticed that my rear pedal's compression point got lower and lower. It must have happened that they opened one valve/screw too many where air was sucked into the system. According to manual, whenever you need to do the backbrake and need to bleed some air out of the system, you always have to bleed the front right lower piston first, then the back one.
I've got a manual, will burn it for you on CD and send it to Sakorn Nowhere OK ? Just PM/email/sms me your exact address and within this week I'll send it to you. Last week I went to Yamaha square in CNX, Sin has got a translation of the original manual in Thai where I showed him the necessety to bleed both pistons and also the direct link up of the two, now he got it. FJR will go on regular service again this week so I can take her again on a long tour to Eastern Thailand soon. Cheers, Franz

feejer

Feb 16, 2007
Hopefully, the service flushed the clutch hydraulics as well. I flush the brakes on my '05 FJR ABS (non-linked) every season, but the clutch every 6 months. That fluid is always 2-3X more contaminated than the brakes. Obviously many more actuations on that system vs. braking.

daewoo

Dec 6, 2005
I know that this post is now on-topic, which is quite off-topic for where this thread is now... but anyway...

I bought an 09 FZ1 (in Australia) after riding with johngooding in Thailand and seeing how fast he could punt one along without any stress...

Note that, in Australia, all these bikes, R1, FZ1, FJR are readily available, serviced, insured...

To me the FZ1 and FJR are very different bikes, for different types of riding... The FZ1, is a good bike for guys too old to ride an R1... they are a sporty bike with a more relaxed seating position, and less bite you on the **** power curve... but I wouldn't really call them a tourer or sports tourer... fact is, more than 200km in a single stint is hard work on the ****, and speeds over 160km require a lot of attention... but in the twisties they remind you of their sporting origins...

The FJR is for eating up heaps of miles, and carrying everything you need as well... I am sure an equal rider would be faster in the twisties on an FZ1, but they are going to regret it if they try too many 1000km days on one...

Cheers,
Daewoo

feejer

Feb 16, 2007
daewoo;269282 wrote: The FJR is for eating up heaps of miles, and carrying everything you need as well... I am sure an equal rider would be faster in the twisties on an FZ1, but they are going to regret it if they try too many 1000km days on one...
That's exactly why I own both at the moment. With minimal effort to uncork the motor, the FZ1 becomes near R1 in power, very near. And truth be told, mine with the Yamaha gel seat and touring screen is "all day" comfortable for the type of riding it is for.

For me, all day on the FZ1 does not mean 1000KM on the slab or in heavy weather. If we want a long-haul Interstate trip where a full fairing for rain etc would be good, then the FJR obviously gets the call. Nice to have options like these for the road. Just missing a dual sport, to be remedied soon.........