PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Honda CRF250L

Pages : 1 [2]

zona
17th June 2012, 11:31 AM
hi opas
i am south of the city about 16kms
let me know when you are planning to be here!
cheers

Hi Alan,
How about around mid-afternoon tomorrow(Monday)? If not, the Tuesday's afternoon is good with me also. Here is my number 08 16 16 40 16. Cheers, Opas

zona
17th June 2012, 11:37 AM
Ride carefully, don't stress the tires when they're new. They're slippery for about 50km or so. After they are scrubbed in you can ride more aggressively.

Why don't you post the name and address of the tire shop for all of us?

Thanks for the advice.
Here is the contact for the tire shop: Ake-Pai-Boon Yangyont Telephone numbers: 02 2227535, 02 2234678, 089 1115962
July 22nd Circle area in BKK - don't have exact address.

bigalthaibiketoursuk
19th June 2012, 10:03 PM
ok guys, here's a bit of hot off the press news for you crf lovers!!

my friends crf had a slight "fall down" 2 days ago, onto its left hand side! from virtually stationary!
the gear shift spline snapped off almost flush with the crankcase!!, now that wouldnt have happened on the klx, i believe that is weak material plus a rigid gear shifter, also parts are not available to fix it just yet!!!!

these are the exact kind of things we need to know!!! had this happened in the middle of the jungle or on some serious single track!!! big problems!!!!!
safe riding
Alan
ps
i did post this in a different thread also!!

Ian Bungy
20th June 2012, 09:09 AM
The Day I picked mine up changed the Gear lever but even though it still shouldn't have been that weak? If You remember the KLX was plagued at the beginning with the Selector Star breaking if You fell on the Gear lever side? They upgraded it now and supposedly fixed the Problem? Not so simple to change the Spline though as it means stripping the Engine down? Not good!!! Morale of the Story "Don't fall off"!!! Good Luck.

KZ25
7th July 2012, 10:41 AM
The CRF is out and there are CBRs on the street - I wonder what happens when both meet up? Has anybody had the chance to compare these two side-by-side? Would be interesting to see the difference in performance, acceleration, top-speed and so on.

bigalthaibiketoursuk
7th July 2012, 11:11 AM
last week (rainy season), we took 6 crf's out for 3 days in total 80% off road, chiang mai, mae na chon, wat chan, pai, wiang haeng, chiang dao and back to chiang mai then off again mae wang, mae win, samoeng and back to CM, the summary:
All bikes went great no issues at all
the standard tyres were a nightmare in the slippy red clay, my klx with new knobblies was alot better but still slippery as f*** (and so it should have been)
all riders had slow falls, what was a surprise was that 3 of the right hand falls resulted in bent rear brake levers, in all the time (30,000kms) riding my klx my rear brake lever has never bent or broken.
the bent levers were soon put right with a long pipe and a bit of brute force!
quite a few new parts had to be fitted (plastic panels h/bars etc atotal of 5000 baht, an absolute bargain!! considering what had to be replaced.
all the guys were big guys, some even bigger/heavier than me!!!
no one thought they needed more power, only more grip and better engine breaking, sure a bigger rear sprocket would sort that out!!

fuel economy was considerably better than my klx by at least 30% on my calculations

safe riding!

this life is not a rehearsal!

KZ25
15th July 2012, 09:17 AM
Mityon pattaya have them in now but want 150,000 baht salesman says its due to price increase????

That's a good one - these Thais are always good for a laugh!

"Yes, the CRF250L is 150,000 baht now because it got more expensive!"

Actually it's the other way around...

Don't you just love them... :-)

Changnoi1
15th July 2012, 05:20 PM
I was at Mityon in Pattaya last week and asked about the price of the CRF .... 140k.
I said "That is weird because upcountry I can buy it for 130k"
After a moment of silence he said 'If you take it right now and pay cash, you can have it for 130k".

Chang Noi

That's a good one - these Thais are always good for a laugh!

"Yes, the CRF250L is 150,000 baht now because it got more expensive!"

Actually it's the other way around...

Don't you just love them... :-)

Gregitt
2nd August 2012, 08:56 AM
Riding Impression of the CRF Honda 250L:

I purchased this bike a week or so and have just completed the 1000K break in period.

This is the first bike I have owned with dual purpose tires leaning towards off road travel. Back in the 60’s & 70’s riding on the street with knobby tires usually meant certain death, but it seems times and tires have changed for the best.

Having put 25,000 K’s on my 250 D-Tracker in a very short time, I have grown to love 250 Singles for Thai roads here in the Northeast. During the rainy season, it was difficult to travel on the slippery/ muddy dirt roads, in fact, almost impossible going up and down steep muddy inclines. The D-Tracker tires and suspension were certainly suited for smooth road racing though and I love it for that!

I guess I could have gone with the KLX, but the Honda just came out and I wanted a different bike and I have enjoyed many Hondas. The bike looks nice to me and the engine sounds a bit more refined than the KLX. Of course it sounds much like a sewing machine....so probably soon I will have to purchase a louder slip on. The engine seemed very tight during the break in period so I took it easy....today, it felt more peppy.

The first thing I noticed that with the larger wheels and taller suspension it doesn’t take much of a lean to get the bike into a sharp curve. It took a little getting used to, but now it seems perfectly normal. I am very impressed how well the tires grip on pavement, in fact, the grip is much better on paved roads with gravel and dirt than the road tires and I notice very little difference on smooth paved roads... On dry sandy roads you can get the front tire to slide of course, but it does so without urgency...on wet ones I just slow down! Of course, on dirt paths the new Honda really shines over a road machine!

Today, I went on wet muddy inclines that were very slippery. I am not an experienced off road rider and make every mistake a novice can make, but at least I didn’t fall down like I did with the D-Tracker. When going up steep hills it seems to me second gear doesn’t have enough power as it should and I suspect this new Honda is restricted just like the D-Tracker was, although the Honda seems faster than the stock Kawasaki before the new CPU was installed. It has quite a bit of power and must to carry my 95+ Kilos around!

My back has been trashed for years and riding this bike is a dream come true over bumps. The bars are a little to low for me to stand up when traversing bad terrain, but I have a set of risers that should make that much easier. The D-Tracker suspension was killing me riding these bumps, holes and dips...but now...I am a happier guy.

Like Kawasaki, the speedometer is very optimistic. My GPS shows 74K’s at 80 and 83K’s at 90 and it gets progressively worse. I find the 6 speed transmission to be smooth and the engine has some torque...I think it will get better in time and many options will be available very soon including more power options.

I guess for me, the bottom line is that I should have purchased a bike like this in Thailand a long time ago. Overall, the handling is superior on all types of roads, the suspension is smoother and I can go more places. Some of the most dynamic scenery here is away from the main highways and the “crazy's”.....you can go into the farmland and right up close and into the mountains as well. Do not let the knobby dual purpose type tires fool you......try them and be pleasantly surprised!

I do not think the Honda L is a professional off road bike by any means, but to us “Farangs” and “Thai’s” who want to enjoy all types of terrain, for a budget price, with a “BOOK,” with less expensive acessories and the ability to get parts in country.....one might consider this new Honda 250L.

I have read most of the forums including the criticisms and the ravings of which bikes are best. The bottom line is to me....what bike is the most fun for you? I have owned big bikes since I was a kid and also have a 650 Versys here in Thailand (which I like very much) for my long treks....I will say this... “ I have had the most fun on both these Single 250’s than at anytime over my 50 plus years riding motorcycles” and I think this type of machine is particularly suited for Thailand.....they will sell thousands of them! I have toured with these bikes and have seen many folks touring all of Thailand with them.....if you have any questions, I will try to answer them and I will know more soon.....

KZ25
12th August 2012, 09:06 AM
Thanks, Gregitt, for your review of the CRF250L!
Talking about fun to ride, about 15 years ago I was buying and selling used bikes and parting out BMW K-bikes. I had a 1400 Intruder, two XS650s, a Honda 750 V-Four, a BMW K100, a BMW K75 and a ZX9R sitting in the garage when I picked up a used XR650L just because someone offered it to me for a low price. A month later I realized that I had ridden the XR every day and not touched any of the other bikes!
Even though I never went into the dirt but rode around town and sometimes on short hiway trips to the beach.
Ever since I am a big enduro fan and had a DR650SE and several 250 enduros. These bikes are so much fun to ride, they are simple singles, light, have a good seating position and view above city traffic, are easy to control with the wide handle bar, have great suspension to deal with potholes, train rails and cracks in the roads. With the K100 I always rode around the big metal canal covers; with an enduro you go right through anything.
And it's fun to pop wheelies!
Supermotos should be even better for city riding. I think most potential buyers are not aware of the qualities of these bikes.
I just bought a used CBR150R because I wanted a small, affordable city bike I can park between the Waves and Nouvos at the market but that can also go 130 km/h on the hiway for longer trips. Am selling it now because it is just too uncomfortable for a guy my age.
If Honda made a supermoto with the CBR150R engine I'd sign up today!

Gregitt
12th August 2012, 11:58 AM
Thanks, Gregitt, for your review of the CRF250L!
I can park between the Waves and Nouvos at the market but that can also go 130 km/h on the hiway for longer trips. Am selling it now because it is just too uncomfortable for a guy my age.
If Honda made a supermoto with the CBR150R engine I'd sign up today!

Thanks for your input! You might consider the 250 D-Tracker used. My seat has been modified wider and softer....it has the de-restricted CPU, a heavy duty Luggage Rack and FMC exhaust. It is not for sale, at least yet, but there are many around and I may decide to sell mine. (I think the wife has already decided)!

I love the D-Tracker too.

I have always wanted a 400 or 600+ Single, but it is a little difficult to find one here with a book unless you pay lots of BT>

Thanks again,

greg

Gregitt
17th August 2012, 05:23 PM
I am really enjoying this new Honda. I really need an owner's manual in "English" a PDF file would be very nice! The Local dealer here in Loei doesn't seem able or doesn't want to get me a manual. If anyone can help it will be appreciated!:happy2: CRF Honda 250L

bung
28th August 2012, 09:32 PM
I cranked up the preload on my rear shock today. I was following a mate on one who is about the same weight as me and it made me realise it needs doing. Wasn't too hard, just take the seat and right side plastic cover off, get a long (old!) screwdriver and bash away. There's no way you are getting the proper tool in there...I couldn't get the top locking nut undone so I hit the lower nut and it moved eventually. It's pretty tight. It wasn't very technical as in measuring the sag and all but a quick ride found it feeling much better although I may play with it some more. Well worth the effort. If you're not up to doing it yourself any bike shop will do it, exactly like I did.

Lakota
30th August 2012, 08:07 AM
I checked out my first CRF yesterday. only sat on it and had a good look around. They were asking 137K which isn't a lot cheaper than my KLX250 especially when it seems you have to replace a few things like the gear and brakes levers if you want it to survive the odd fall off-road.
The height seemed about the same, I was hoping for a couple of inches lower. what about those tires though Guys. ? Honestly, I've found IRC tires to be a bit too hard wearing and not sticky enough on other bikes. very slippery on the yellow lines etc. The Dunlops on the KLX are very good in my opinion. :-?

KZ25
30th August 2012, 11:47 AM
You can buy several sets of levers plus a set of new tires and still save money over the KLX.

schackster
31st August 2012, 10:54 AM
Difference in prices , mainly due to taxes - New CRF250L in Malaysia would cost u aproximately a whopping bht 226,000

ronwebb
31st August 2012, 11:43 AM
[QUOTENew CRF250L in Malaysia would cost u aproximately a whopping bht 226,000[/QUOTE]
Ouch! and people complain about the cost of bikes here?

schackster
5th September 2012, 12:05 PM
FYI , for those shorties that are finding the height of the CRF a bit challenging I saw that Kouba links in the states will be releasing a proper set of lowering links in October. They claim it will lower the height by 1 3/4". Price will be around $140. Front forks will have to be lowered and stand shortened to suit.

mudboots
5th September 2012, 12:15 PM
It's good to be tall :D

schackster
5th September 2012, 10:17 PM
Its also cheaper to be tall

Lakota
16th September 2012, 08:38 PM
So did anyone check the Top speed and what the bike will comfortably cruise at ?

bigalthaibiketoursuk
16th September 2012, 09:17 PM
hi, the links i had made for the klx (for short arsed customers! 5555) were 300 baht the pair less than $10 usd, the same as on wells klx! i cant see them being any more expensive for the CRF!

this life is not a rehearsal!!

bigalthaibiketoursuk
16th September 2012, 09:20 PM
hi, it will cruise all day at 85-95 kms p/h and top speed approx 120 km p/h

this life is not a rehearsal!!

Lakota
16th September 2012, 09:23 PM
OK, same as my KLX then, and my Honda Dream 125. :D

SonnyCooL
23rd September 2012, 07:37 AM
Difference in prices , mainly due to taxes - New CRF250L in Malaysia would cost u aproximately a whopping bht 226,000

actually is more expensive then KLX 250 in malaysia . . . . wondering what honda malaysia think

skybluestu
6th October 2012, 06:54 AM
MCN's CRF250L vs rivals video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7ij8mL6j_g&list=UUB_cdRhIDhlavY2I5URSC7g&index=2&feature=plcp

irishbri
6th October 2012, 08:12 AM
Posts like this are gold. Im on my way out to buy a folding gear shift. Thank you.
ok guys, here's a bit of hot off the press news for you crf lovers!!

my friends crf had a slight "fall down" 2 days ago, onto its left hand side! from virtually stationary!
the gear shift spline snapped off almost flush with the crankcase!!, now that wouldnt have happened on the klx, i believe that is weak material plus a rigid gear shifter, also parts are not available to fix it just yet!!!!

these are the exact kind of things we need to know!!! had this happened in the middle of the jungle or on some serious single track!!! big problems!!!!!
safe riding
Alan
ps
i did post this in a different thread also!!

koh kood
6th October 2012, 08:54 PM
I am really enjoying this new Honda. I really need an owner's manual in "English" a PDF file would be very nice! The Local dealer here in Loei doesn't seem able or doesn't want to get me a manual. If anyone can help it will be appreciated!:happy2: CRF Honda 250L

If you're still looking for an English owner's manual the PDF is here
Honda | Owner's Manual Download | Motorcycles (http://www.honda.co.jp/ownersmanual/HondaMotorEurope/motor/all/crf250l/2013/english/32KZZB010.html?v=f126t400&m=crf250l)

meallem
7th October 2012, 08:03 AM

Here's the link to Honda Japan where you can download in English

http://www.honda.co.jp/ownersmanual/HondaMotorEurope/motor/all/crf250l/2013/english/32KZZB010.html?v=f126t400&m=crf250l

meallem
7th October 2012, 08:05 AM
Honda CRF20L Owners Book in English

http://www.honda.co.jp/ownersmanual/HondaMotorEurope/motor/all/crf250l/2013/english/32KZZB010.html?v=f126t400&m=crf250l

brake034
20th October 2012, 08:38 PM
Did anyone put a K2TEC or Moriwaki exhaust on the bike already? Or will that mean adjusting / replacing the ECU?

jsbkk
20th October 2012, 10:36 PM
I am confused. I was out to shop for a CRF and visited three dealers close to my place. To my surprise all three dealers quoted different prices! 127, 133 and 140xxx. The most exp. dealer said the price was incl. of registration and tax. Then i decided to visit the kawasaki dealer (Real moto) to have a look at the KLX. Price was 152xxx incl of insurance worth 7xxx bht which makes the price difference less significant. Looking at the CRF/KLF shootouts and reviews seems the CRF is a KLX wanabee.

Not considering the price difference, would the CRF be a better buy than the KLX?

Captain_Slash
21st October 2012, 03:27 AM
[QUOTE=jsbkk;283538]
Price was 152xxx incl of insurance worth 7xxx bht
QUOTE]

When I bought my KLX in Chiang Mai last november i think it was about 154K but that certainly didnt include 7000 Bahts worth of insurance which would be first class insurance at that price, it may have included the compulsory insurance which is probably about 700 Baht though

brake034
21st October 2012, 10:53 AM
I was quoted 126.000 without any insurance but with plate, book and tax.
If you think the CRF is a wanabee KLX you may want to review the video of post #276 again?

irishbri
21st October 2012, 11:37 AM
Im Confused also. What reviews gave you the impression the CRF was a KLX wannabe???? Please post as im curious to have a laugh..

I am confused. I was out to shop for a CRF and visited three dealers close to my place. To my surprise all three dealers quoted different prices! 127, 133 and 140xxx. The most exp. dealer said the price was incl. of registration and tax. Then i decided to visit the kawasaki dealer (Real moto) to have a look at the KLX. Price was 152xxx incl of insurance worth 7xxx bht which makes the price difference less significant. Looking at the CRF/KLF shootouts and reviews seems the CRF is a KLX wanabee.

Not considering the price difference, would the CRF be a better buy than the KLX?

jsbkk
21st October 2012, 08:28 PM
"wannabe" maybe a wrong selection of word. I will try to explain what I mean,

First thing - I am NOT a CRF or a KLX guy.

I just plan to buy a bike soon, so I did a simple google on CRF250L vs KLX250 and clicked the first link. I too am very excited about the new CRF. On the link below, I was surprised to find these bunch of issues (significant IMO) not addressed on the CRF in comparison to the KLX.

http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-forum/bike-talk/1776-honda-crf-250-l-kawasaki-klx-250-shoot-out.html#post13146

Then I tried to compare the technical specs. And few more things came up in favour of the KLX like the weight, rear suspension & cooling.

Going thru many reviews of both bikes, I get an impression the KLX is dated but packs a punch which the CRF is trying to catch-up. Just newer and has cool looks. Has a good motor but lags behind on tech specs and lacks many things under the microscope what the KLX has.

brake034
22nd October 2012, 02:30 PM
Most of the issue list are small issues IMO, based on what I have read the engine of the CRF is more powerfull and has more torque than the restricted (standard) KLX, unrestricted they are more or less the same.
I am considering the CRF and I will use it on the road 90% or more, I like the height (I am 1.92 meter tall) and in another post I read about adjustment of the rear shock, it is in post #263 of this thread, increasing pre load on rear shock.
Last year I was at Kawa CM to look at the KLX, if the CRF was not launched this year in Thailand that bike would have my preference.

yankee99
23rd October 2012, 12:54 AM
Of course being restricted is not a issue as it takes less then 10 seconds to derestrict and keep warranty.

TonyBKK
24th October 2012, 01:43 PM
On our ride to Luang Prabang this weekend our mate Tim who is an experienced dirt rider rented a CRF250L and got pushed off the road and into the ditch by a bus- the gear input shaft snapped off... This isn't the first time I've read of this happening. One would expect the gear lever to go before the shaft...

I guess this is why so many people are replacing the stock Honda gear pedal with the spring loaded Kawasaki KLX pedal? Some really nice Thai guys saw the whole thing (and were nearly hit by the same kamikaze bus), threw Tim's bike in the back of their pickup and found a local shop that welded the end of the shaft back on.

General consensus seems to be that the CRF-L with it's added weight and lower spec suspension is a bit more road oriented and not quite as tough as the KLX. Of course not everyone agrees with that assessment ;)

Tim said next time he'd rent an old Honda XR250. A lot less weight and more power than the new CRF250L, which he described as "a dog"...

A lot more aftermarket parts and big bore kits exist for the KLX, but I imagine eventually the same will be true for the new Honda.

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t380/Tony_BKK/Laos%20Motorcycle%20Trip%20October%202012/IMG_3733_zps935160da.jpg

mja34
26th October 2012, 05:18 PM
I totally agree on your summery of the crf! ,I am the Lucky owner of a versys and crf and I just keep getting a big smile on my face each time I take the 250!
my first trips to Northern thailand where spent on old xrs,raids etc and these smaller capacity bikes really do help you get off the beaten path and enjoy a more laid back approach to riding here

irishbri
27th October 2012, 08:44 AM
How much off roading did Tim do on the CRF as i see his riding partners have a Versys, Fazer & what looks to be another road bike???
On our ride to Luang Prabang this weekend our mate Tim who is an experienced dirt rider rented a CRF250L and got pushed off the road and into the ditch by a bus- the gear input shaft snapped off... This isn't the first time I've read of this happening. One would expect the gear lever to go before the shaft...

I guess this is why so many people are replacing the stock Honda gear pedal with the spring loaded Kawasaki KLX pedal? Some really nice Thai guys saw the whole thing (and were nearly hit by the same kamikaze bus), threw Tim's bike in the back of their pickup and found a local shop that welded the end of the shaft back on.

General consensus seems to be that the CRF-L with it's added weight and lower spec suspension is a bit more road oriented and not quite as tough as the KLX. Of course not everyone agrees with that assessment ;)

Tim said next time he'd rent an old Honda XR250. A lot less weight and more power than the new CRF250L, which he described as "a dog"...

A lot more aftermarket parts and big bore kits exist for the KLX, but I imagine eventually the same will be true for the new Honda.

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t380/Tony_BKK/Laos Motorcycle Trip October 2012/IMG_3733_zps935160da.jpg

mudboots
27th October 2012, 09:05 AM
I was in the Honda dealer in Cairns north QLD this morning to order a new Pro circuit expansion chamber for my CRM250 and seen they have the new CRFL250 here now for sale at a bargain price of $ 6.998 Australian so I would not complain about the cost of buying one in Thailand good old Aussie Tax it sucks.

meallem
1st November 2012, 09:06 PM
here's the link to download English manual from Honda

brake034
4th November 2012, 05:59 PM
Hope it is OK to post a link to a commercial company.
David, please delete if not OK!

Here is the link to K-Speed Bangkok, I like the matt black instead of the white, wonder just how long the back coating of the engine will last??

http://www.k-speed.net/product.detail_931933_th_4808319

Any comments?

yankee99
4th November 2012, 06:16 PM
Can someone explain what this is and what it does?
sorry about photo quality shot with cellphone
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh88/funbiz99/20121103_195743.jpg

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh88/funbiz99/20121103_195803.jpg

mikerust
14th November 2012, 12:38 PM
It is called a Helmholtz Resonator. They have been around since the 1930's-ish this is a picture from Autocar in 1935

Wikipedia has the whole theory but it can create an area of pressure lower than that in the surrounding system which can be used for scavenging. . Can also be called a powerbomb or other names. Some are a different shape some quite sexy looking and if engineered properly are supposed to yield performance benefits.

Red Bull F1 does or has used them.

http://www.f1technical.net/development/369.

KZ25
15th December 2012, 07:46 AM
Here's a fresh comparo of the CRF250L and the KLX250, although the Kawa is the the carbed version available on the American market:
http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs/2013-honda-crf250l-vs-2013-kawasaki-klx250s-video-91483.html
The Honda has FI and is about $500 cheaper, that's a good start right off the bat. Interestingly the Honda was also judged to be better in the dirt - well, on dirt roads. Maybe they judged it by the size of the footpegs...
But interesting are the dyno numbers, looking very much the same, both have 20 horses. The CRF seems to have more usable torque in the lower range.
I wonder how the FI Kawa would have performed. Too bad those 'mericans aren't up to date!

Gregitt
15th December 2012, 08:09 AM
Here's a fresh comparo of the CRF250L and the KLX250, although the Kawa is the the carbed version available on the American market:
http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs/2013-honda-crf250l-vs-2013-kawasaki-klx250s-video-91483.html
The Honda has FI and is about $500 cheaper, that's a good start right off the bat. Interestingly the Honda was also judged to be better in the dirt - well, on dirt roads. Maybe they judged it by the size of the footpegs...
But interesting are the dyno numbers, looking very much the same, both have 20 horses. The CRF seems to have more usable torque in the lower range.
I wonder how the FI Kawa would have performed. Too bad those 'mericans aren't up to date!

13928 For Sure, FI on the Kawasaki would make a big difference....I had the Kawaski D-Tracker 250X with FI and it was very smooth and easy starting. A fair review, but it seems they left out things that were important to many riders.....the ground clearance difference and the non-folding shifter on the Honda seemed to spur controversy. I own the CRF 250-L now and have been pleased with it so far, especially now that accessories and Mods are becoming available. Thanks for the post....always enjoy reviews.

Gregitt
15th December 2012, 04:05 PM

13928 One other thing to consider....the KLX 250 FI version sold in Thailand is RESTRICTED and may not even be close in performance sited in this review. I suspect that with the DE-RESTRICTOR BOX sold by Kawasaki, (or some other method).... KLX performance would be similar or perhaps even better than the US models.

Captain_Slash
15th December 2012, 06:28 PM
Yes those poor old Yanks still have the crappy carb model to put up with, with its poor starting and heavier fuel consumption

Gregitt
2nd January 2013, 05:18 PM
STAGE ONE PERFORMANCE KIT FOR CRF 250 L

I recently purchased this kit from http://bestdualsportbikes.com/dual-sport-bikes/2013-honda-crf250l/.

I chose the FMF Q-4 Exhaust and Megabomb Header. The kit also comes with a FMF Fuel Programmer and 13 tooth front sprocket. The fuel box is already programmed from the factory to match this pipe setup, but you can tweak it if necessary.

The Exhaust system fit perfectly and the fuel box plugged in easily as well....the engine fired right up and ran perfectly. With the stock sprocket it was like a different Bike! Lots more acceleration, especially in the higher RPM range. Top end is improved as well.

After installing the 13 tooth sprocket, THE FUN BEGAN! It races through the gears and accelerates strongly. You have passing power in 6th gear and top end is higher. With the 13, the speedo as way off. With my heavy ass and wide body it showed 145+ KPH, but the GPS showed 123+KPH. It does 80 MPH easily and that is good enough for me...I appreciate the improved acceleration. Others say it will go lots faster. Guess it depends on one”s weight, altitude, fuel and other factors. I think with some more air box mods it will do better. The higher revs with the 13 tooth works very well with the FMF design and fuel programmer and provides the most dramatic results.

I think the 13 tooth is perfect for off road and mountain riding that I do here in Thailand. Some may prefer the 14 for long road trips.

I drilled holes in the air box cover and took off the metal filter screen as directed..it did make a positive difference. I have not cut out the top of the air box yet. I also have not removed the pare valve. The engine seems to run the same with the 0-2 sensor plugged in or out. The Best Dual Sports bike guy thinks it works better unplugged and I will test it again to see.

‘Future Man” at Best Dual Sports Bikes is a great guy to purchase from. He responds to E-mails and answers "after purchase" questions. The folks where the Fuel Box is made provide great service as well and I recommend them highly. He also ships USPS and work with you on custom values if you ship internationally which will save you money.

I am happy with my set up because it is “bolt on” without having to program something and it works well without major mods like new, cams, larger throttle bodies etc. I wonder sometimes if I should have purchased the FMF Power Core Muffler since it has more power and is a little less expensive (louder too). The Q-4 is plenty loud though when the throttle is on and purrs nicely at cruising speed and I think the performance is good.

If there are negatives I guess one would be that I burned a hole through my best jeans the first day! (FMF does not include a heat shield). I was able to modify my old heat shield however, and it looks ok. If you want a fancy one, there are some on E-Bay. Of course, more power means less mileage. With my riding style I dropped 5-6 Kilometers per liter estimated with the stock sprocket....haven’t measured the 13 tooth mileage yet, but it may be close to the same. (Of course, when you have more power, one tends to crank it on more..the fun factor sets in!).

I am not a professional, but I do ride lots....so this review is subjective and reflects my honest opinions. Riding is Fun and this setup makes that Honda More Fun!

1408914090 (original heat shield modified)

nikster
31st January 2013, 09:49 PM
Just did a second stint through Laos on a rented CRF250L - all I can say it's a great bike. Last year I did a similar route on the KLX250. Both were rented from POP CM; POP is cool because he has the bikes; he does the Laos papers; and he doesn't care if you put some more scratches on the bike; but he also really doesn't take care of the bikes very well so both the KLX and the CRF were used and abused. The CRF handled that better - it looked a bit scraggy but performed perfect with no issues. Both our KLXs had electrical problems (not starting at times).

I thought the CRF was overall the better bike as it handles better and got better gas mileage. Gas mileage on the road with the throttle pinned was just as bad as the KLX, but on dirt or at 80-100kph speeds, the CRF was much more frugal.

Handling is better as the bike tracks really well and the lower seating position provides more confidence, at least for newbs like me.

Bike was surprisingly fun on twisties despite the dual sport tires, it likes to go fast around the bends. It's a great bike for Laos as it handles the crappy roads perfectly. Dirt was fine, some light offroad was fine, roads with sections missing was no issue, etc, blasted through all of it and had fun on a wide variety of surfaces, switching back and forth between street mode and dirt mode.

The only negative - I seemed to have no stopping power on the front brake. No issue on dirt and not a huge problem on the road because the bike doesn't go all that fast anyway; but on a few occasions I was surprised how little the front does. Not sure that was just my bike or normal for the CRF.

And - well it needs more power. A 400 would be nice, for roads, and for power slides.

PS: We had a spare gear shifter just in case but ended up not needing it; no crashes.

irishbri
1st February 2013, 07:53 AM
Looks like you had a great time and im glad to hear you enjoyed the bike. Any chance of letting us know the route you took and what you encountered along the way? What about accomodation, the officials at the border crossing, and fuel etc...?
Ive found on most dirt bikes the front 'feels' pretty bad due to the long suspension travel and deformation of the knoblie's on the front tyre. Brand new, the brake took quite long to bed in but i have managed to lock up the front on purpose but only at low speed. It would be interesting to hear from anybody who has a CRF but with road tyres and maybe a harder front end.
Thanks for the report..

Ian Bungy
1st February 2013, 09:22 AM
Hi Gregitt,
I Ordered the Kit from Future Man before Christmas and Still Waiting for Delivery? He said He was waiting for the Fuel Programmer to be delivered so everything can be sent at the same time? I went for the Power Core 4 instead of the Q-4. I also Ordered the New Air Filter, Alloy Gear Lever and the Stainless Braided Brake Lines. As Nikster said the CRF has Poor Front Brakes! So I am looking forward to actually receiving everything and Trying it out, I am Encouraged after reading Your Report so thanks for sharing! Good to Hear the Kit increases the Top End as that was My Hope! Owning both I think the CRF is the Better Bike with the KLX having Better Brakes and Top end so this Kit may fix those problems on the Honda, here's hoping? I have seen a Carbon Heat Shield fitted on the Mega Bomb so may look into that? How did You attach the Original Heat Shield to the Mega Bomb? Did the Side Panel fit to the Muffler OK and do you have a Photo of that? I may catch up with You in Loei sometime as we get up there quite a bit and Usually start the Night Out at Chris's Pizza & Steak House!

Gregitt
8th February 2013, 10:05 AM
Hi Gregitt,
I Ordered the Kit from Future Man before Christmas and Still Waiting for Delivery? He said He was waiting for the Fuel Programmer to be delivered so everything can be sent at the same time? I went for the Power Core 4 instead of the Q-4. I also Ordered the New Air Filter, Alloy Gear Lever and the Stainless Braided Brake Lines. As Nikster said the CRF has Poor Front Brakes! So I am looking forward to actually receiving everything and Trying it out, I am Encouraged after reading Your Report so thanks for sharing! Good to Hear the Kit increases the Top End as that was My Hope! Owning both I think the CRF is the Better Bike with the KLX having Better Brakes and Top end so this Kit may fix those problems on the Honda, here's hoping? I have seen a Carbon Heat Shield fitted on the Mega Bomb so may look into that? How did You attach the Original Heat Shield to the Mega Bomb? Did the Side Panel fit to the Muffler OK and do you have a Photo of that? I may catch up with You in Loei sometime as we get up there quite a bit and Usually start the Night Out at Chris's Pizza & Steak House!

Most certainly contact me when coming to Loei. The rear side panal fit perfectly to the muffler. Thought I posted here on how to fit the original heat shield...I will try to link it or put it on this forum.

Gregitt
8th February 2013, 10:27 AM
Hi Gregitt,

How I attached the original heat shield is posted on this page with photos. Use the original chrome screws. Purchase a clamp and one nut for the screw. Make a bracket out of metal similar to the one you already have. Attach it about in the middle (up and down) and towards the rear...may have to use a washer to keep it the shield from touching the header. (This is with the megabomb header)....which header did you buy?....the other one (power bomb) uses the original heat shield I think.

KZ25
23rd March 2013, 09:37 AM
I finally got the chance to rent the CRF250L in Phuket for 750/day. When I got on I remembered the "feel" of my XR650L, slim bike, high seating position, the handle bar wide and just right, not too high or too low. I felt "at home" right away. When I swung my leg over the bike it felt tall, I can understand if a beginner feels intimidated and thinks about a lowering kit, but could put both feet flat on the ground. I'm 178 cm. But once underway I had no problems, I enjoyed the "size" of the bike. The 650 is really tall, I could only put one foot on the ground on the tip-toe, had to lean the bike at a red light, but it never really bothered me.
I went up through Kathu direction Thalang and airport, the bike pulled nicely through the traffic, never felt slow or sluggish. Of course it's no Ninja, and the smooth little single reminds you of that, but I was quicker that cars, busses and smaller bikes. In fact I guess with a bigger bike you'd get stuck more often. Thalang was a mess, long line of stop and go, I had to get onto the sidewalk for a few car length then down a high curb - try that on a Ninja! I opened it up north of Thalang and it took a while to see 120 on the digital speedo. I had to wring the engine out to red line through the gears but that's the fun part. I noticed a loud noise coming from the cams, it sounded intermittently like a coffee grinder, a really obnoxious sound I could clearly hear in my full-face helmet. The bike had only 6,000 km on the clock so I wonder if all those little singles sound like that? Disappointing! Also no rev-counter, often I thought I was in 3rd but was in 4th, guess you get used to guess the revs after some time but how come the CBR150R has one and is half the price?
Went towards Nai Yang beach and here the CRF started to be more fun. Going 60 in curvy areas and open up to 90 on straights is what the bike is made for. Then going south to Nai Harn through the twisty mountain roads, up and down, throwing the bike left to right, accelerating and slowing down, brought a smile to my face. I could go in 3rd through slow turns and open it up on straights, the engine delivered, no need to shift. It even runs 50 in 6th gear, no complaints!
Went into a sandy area in 1st and the fan came on right away. I wonder how hot it'll get if you really worked it!
Average was 3,5L/100km, that's great, not much more than my carbed Nouvo 135!
I thought compared to the VTR250 I owned years ago it would be significantly less powerful since the VTR is supposed to have 25 hp and the CRF about 5 less. But just from the seat-of-the-pants feeling I'd say the CRF has 10% less power, I was surprised. It felt powerful at any revs. Of course I am used to the Nouvo by now, if you ride a bigger bike you may feel it's not enough. The AX-1 I had a long time ago definitely felt weak even though the engine was in good shape. Numbers can be deceiving, I think I could live with the stock power for quite a while.
Smaller wheels and street rubber would make this bike the perfect around town bike. You could take it to work every day and even do weekend trips.
I just got back from a 5-day 1,200km round-trip on my little Nouvo 135. The CRF250M would be a big step up and I'm sure it'll keep me happy for many years!

Gregitt
23rd March 2013, 05:12 PM
Smaller wheels and street rubber would make this bike the perfect around town bike. You could take it to work every day and even do weekend trips.
I just got back from a 5-day 1,200km round-trip on my little Nouvo 135. The CRF250M would be a big step up and I'm sure it'll keep me happy for many years![/QUOTE] A very nice review. My bike seems to make odd noises too sometimes and I have heard others say the same. I see many in Thailand that have put on the smaller wheels, but I like the larger wheels personally....they handle ok and are much better hitting the pot holes and rough roads in Thailand. They are also much better in sand and mud especially during the rainy season. I had a Kawasaki 250 D-Tracker and loved it, but I could not travel on the many wet dirt/clay roads here in the Northeast with those street tires, and I could not find cross tires to fit that size rim....that is why I switched to the CRF 250-L. If you are going mostly commute, I suggest the D-Tracker...it is a great bike....but up to you of course. I think the 250-L is perfect around town as is. Good Luck!

KZ25
23rd March 2013, 06:49 PM
I'm planning to use the bike mainly on the street, maybe some dirt roads once in a while but not enough to need a 21" rim in the front and knobbies. Kind of 90/10 street/dirt.
17" rim size offers more choices of good street rubber and are a bit wider, I think the bike will handle better at higher speeds.
So this knocking sound from the cams is a normal thing with these engines? Never heard any noises from the AX-1 or the KLR250 I had.
I wouldn't expect clunky noises from a brand-new designed engine with 17 patents... )-:

TonyBKK
25th March 2013, 01:22 PM
So this knocking sound from the cams is a normal thing with these engines? Never heard any noises from the AX-1 or the KLR250 I had.
I wouldn't expect clunky noises from a brand-new designed engine with 17 patents... )-:

The CRF/CB'r' 250 engine rattle has been widely discussed on many forums and it seems that Honda still doesn't have a fix for it... Prime suspect is cam chain tensioner and general consensus is that while annoying, the engine rattle on these bikes isn't leading to engine failure.

Engine Rattle!!! SIGN UP (http://www.cbr250.net/forum/cbr250-problems-issues/1561-engine-rattle-sign-up.html)

KZ25
25th March 2013, 08:31 PM
Interesting! I've read the first and last page of the thread, reading 45+ pages takes too much time. Can't blame it on newbies who hear things that are normal, it's not the fairing and yes, it is annoying! I thought: this is a new 250 single from Honda with 17 patents? If someone gave me a Keeway or some other Chinese made bike and I'd hear a sound like that, I'd bet the engine won't go more than 10,000 km.
Some wrote that you could shift to avoid hearing that sound - heck, why not recommend earplugs? Point is if I pay almost 150,000 baht for a new CRF250M I don't want to feel like I'm riding a Platinum!
I thought it could be the rocker arms or whatever else is up there, it's not permanent at all revs, it just comes and goes, maybe it's the chain tensioner which acts up at certain chain speeds. I had no rev counter on the CRF so I couldn't tell. But I hadn't read about this problem, wasn't listening for it. Never had a bike that made an "unhealthy" sound like this. And I've owned more than 30 bikes.
Maybe the offset cylinder has something to do with it? They didn't apply this "great new idea" to the 471cc twin, did they?
Almost forgot - the rental CRF had the stock exhaust but they opened it and took some baffle parts out, the bike was loud, not stock, and I still could hear the "clonk".

brake034
25th March 2013, 10:22 PM
The perfect bike is like a wind egg, you can breed on it for ages but the egg in your head may never hatch!

TonyBKK
26th March 2013, 07:08 AM
The perfect bike is like a wind egg, you can breed on it for ages but the egg in your head may never hatch!

^ Is that a Dutch joke? I have no idea what you are trying to say...

KZ25
26th March 2013, 07:51 AM

Sounds like he used the Google translator! A "wind egg in my head"? Well I hope it never hatches!

How is this motorcycle related?

Please enlighten us, brake034! :-)

brake034
30th March 2013, 09:31 PM
Deleted after reconsideration.

Gnasher328
26th February 2014, 10:33 AM
Engine Rattle

Last year my CRF250 developed an annoying rattle under certain conditions. Lots on t'interweb about it, blaming everything from tappets and cam chains to loose fairings but nothing conclusive and lots of scorn from some t**ts who obviously didn't have it, as it seeoms not to affect all bikes.
This year I started pimping the bike, one of the mods being a Yoshi copy exhaust. Hmm - odd, no rattle, and I was sure it wasn't the extra noise covering it up, especially as the rattle occurs on nearly closed throttle.
I wasn't that impressed with the exhaust so I refitted the now 'gutted' original. Incredible result, nearly as fast as the straight through but overall quicker with heaps more torque than before, now pulling strongly across the range a gear lower for any given speed.
BUT - rattle back.
Due to the exhaust affecting it and the fact it was so throttle sensitive I figured it might be something like induction resonance. While installing a CBR throttle body I got working out what the mass of tubing and valves was up to, and noticed one going from the air box to the cylinder head via a solenoid valve. Turns out it's purge air to the exhaust. Aha -there's the link. Thinking that on a neutral throttle the valve might be 'dithering', I decided to block it off. Couldn't find any suitable blanks in CM so I found a dried up marker pen whose top fitted fairly well for the cylinder head hose, the airbox hose had to make do with a bend and a cable tie.
Went for a ride and I could swear it was better, but still noticeable. Hmm, perhaps it was the valve itself. Disconnected and removed it, no change. I was certain it was better though, almost tolerable so I went back to Google, trying CBR instead of CRF. Out of the dozens of wild guesses I found a couple that made sense on CBR250.net. It turns out there is also a reed valve on the head. Aha. As soon as the bike had cooled I went to have a look. It was fairly easy to get the top off and when I prodded it there was a clicking sound. Right, that's it then, so I pulled the reed asembly and a mesh screen out and decided to bend the reed closed. There is a tiny crosshead screw holding it together, but it was so tight it simply sheared off, they might as well have rivetted it together.
Bugger, now what? I had a pot of superglue handy so I have just glued it all back together closed, and will try it again tomorrow after the glue has had plenty of time to set. All the parts are too big to go through any holes so the worst it will do is rattle again if the glue doesn't hold. It's supposed to be good for @100degC but I will be on the lookout for some JB-Weld or similar. I had been meaning to get some for the emergency toolkit anyway since my 'off' North of Pai bent the rad.