Chiang Mai ToyRide Event 12-December-2009

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
kachingirls.jpg

THE BAN MAI SAMAKKI VILLAGE PRE -SCHOOL PROJECT

On December 12, 2009 we will ride to Ban Mai Samakki Village near Chiang Dao. This is a Kachin/Akha school which is trying to establish a pre-school. CMTR is trying to help.

We are donating tables, chairs, and storage shelves for the classroom. We are funding the refurbishment of existing playground equipment at the school. We will also donate educational materials.

We will meet at the Chiang Mai X-Centre at approx 9:00AM on the morning of Saturday Dec 12. We will leave from the X-Centre at 10:00 AM and ride from there to the village, north of Chiang Dao.

At the event, we will join with members of the Chiang Mai Hiking Group. They helped establish this pre-school and their contributions will sustain the school’s first year of operation.

Here is some information from the Kachin Village Website.

Why is a pre-school needed?

We all know that little children have an insatiable curiosity and a natural desire to learn more about the world around them!

But not every parent is in a position to provide the stimulus and encouragement that a child needs, especially when they have been displaced from another country, and they are struggling to earn a living.

This pre-school will introduce the children for the very first time to the excitement of learning from colourful books, and educational toys & games.

Our aim is to help establish a pre school in Banmai and to support the pre-school during its first year or so of operation, until it is fully independent and financially sustainable.

kachinboy.jpg

So, I think you can clearly see this is a worthy cause. Come along, enjoy the ride, have fun, and Help Us Help the Children!

ON A MORE PERSONAL NOTE;

The Chiang Mai ToyRide attempts to budget and USE all the funds we receive to help the children. I feel we have accomplished quite a lot this year.

We need donations. In these economic times, sponsors and donors are all the more difficult to obtain. Skip one tank of gas, skip one night out. What may not seem much to you is a great help to the children. Paypal, bank transfer, or send me a message and I will come get it. :lol: Visit the Chiang Mai ToyRide Website for more information.

:D A big THANK YOU to "MotoREX" and his three Australian riding buddies for their contribution this morning (on their way to Laos).

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
Dave as stated earlier, I'll be in and donate B 5000 for this event, will transfer asap. Looking forward to plenty of fellow riders joining in the ride & donations. Cheers, Franz

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
You are a "STAR" Franz. :wink: Greatly appreciated. :D

As a note: If anyone does a bank transfer or deposit; please let us know before or after. Sometimes we cannot tell where the money came from and we want to be sure that we do not miss saying "thanks" directly and adding you to our sponsor list. No problem with PayPal.

Oct 17, 2006
the happy faces of the kids at the last toy ride were worth more than any thanks.

Thanks to the CM TR people for their initiative.

Pico

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
SilverhawkUSA wrote:
kachingirls.jpg

THE BANMAI VILLAGE PRE -SCHOOL PROJECT

On December 12, 2009 we will ride to Banmai Village near Chiang Dao. This is a Kachin/Akha school which is trying to establish a pre-school. CMTR is trying to help.

We are donating tables, chairs, and storage shelves for the classroom. We are funding the refurbishment of existing playground equipment at the school. We will also donate educational materials.

We will meet at the Chiang Mai X-Centre at approx 9:00AM on the morning of Saturday Dec 12. We will leave from the X-Centre at 10:00 AM and ride from there to the village, north of Chiang Dao.

At the event, we will join with members of the Chiang Mai Hiking Group. They helped establish this pre-school and their contributions will sustain the school’s first year of operation.

Here is some information from the Kachin Village Website.

Why is a pre-school needed?

We all know that little children have an insatiable curiosity and a natural desire to learn more about the world around them!

But not every parent is in a position to provide the stimulus and encouragement that a child needs, especially when they have been displaced from another country, and they are struggling to earn a living.

This pre-school will introduce the children for the very first time to the excitement of learning from colourful books, and educational toys & games.

Our aim is to help establish a pre school in Banmai and to support the pre-school during its first year or so of operation, until it is fully independent and financially sustainable.

kachinboy.jpg

So, I think you can clearly see this is a worthy cause. Come along, enjoy the ride, have fun, and Help Us Help the Children!

ON A MORE PERSONAL NOTE;

The Chiang Mai ToyRide attempts to budget and USE all the funds we receive to help the children. I feel we have accomplished quite a lot this year.

We need donations. In these economic times, sponsors and donors are all the more difficult to obtain. Skip one tank of gas, skip one night out. What may not seem much to you is a great help to the children. Paypal, bank transfer, or send me a message and I will come get it. :lol: Visit the Chiang Mai ToyRide Website for more information.

:D A big THANK YOU to "MotoREX" and his three Australian riding buddies for their contribution this morning (on their way to Laos).

Just a reminder for all riders in the area - you are welcome to join in, ride & help with the event.

THE DATE: December 12, 2009
RIDE TO: Ban Mai School.
MEET AT: The Chiang Mai X-Centre at approx 9:00AM
DEPART: X-Centre at 10:00 AM
RIDE: 103 KMS to Ban Mai Samakkhi.

If you don't know where Ban Mai is, take a look at this chunk from the GT Rider Golden Triangle guide map.
731370113_AkeDf-L.jpg

Go to the Toy Ride website
http://www.chiangmaitoyride.com/index.htm
for more info

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
The ride to Ban Mai Samakki School is exactly 103km from the X-Centre. The roads are all in good condition, except for the usual construction area before Chiang Dao. Any type bike should be up for it.

It looks like a good turnout from some of the guys at bike week. If you are planning on coming along, and we hope you do, please let us know here, or send me an email/PM. The villagers want to have a small lunch for us and we need to let them know about the numbers. Thanks. :D

pee

Mar 10, 2006
Hi Dave,

Will come along with my better half...
I think easier to hand donation in cash on the event day -if you feel otherwise and prefer a Paypal or ATM transfer just let me know.
Cheers

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
pee wrote: Hi Dave,

Will come along with my better half...
I think easier to hand donation in cash on the event day -if you feel otherwise and prefer a Paypal or ATM transfer just let me know.
Cheers
Thanks Pee,

If you are going to be at the event, a "hand to hand" donation is easier and very much appreciated. :D

May 31, 2004
Hi Dave and David,

Just back from an 8-days survey. I will join with Oscar and intend to make a donation in cash on the day if that is alright with you.

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
Guys as this is a Saturday I will join, will bring also some Yummies & sweets for the kids. Cheers, FR

Nov 12, 2009
Hi Dave ,

Looking forward to meet the group at the Rim Doi.

One advice : If you are riding the Chiang Dao Bypass (Road 107), be extremly careful at the end before it is joining again with the "regular" 107 . You will see a bridge going over the road. There are some potholes and the road is repaired , but not smoothly.
Especially , riding in a group could get dangerous for some bikes.

You have already mentioned the construction site before Chiang Dao. There you should really go one after the other, again some nice potholes .....

Have a save trip!

Werner

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
Well again a very much pleasing ride with some fellow GT-Riders for a good cause. On time we started off at 10:00 from the X-Centre where we got our stomachs full with a very tasty brekkie. Bikes were mainly cruisers, so our speed was lower this time. Non cruisers were David Unk as always on the trusty AT, Ian on his KLX, Pee on the DR400, Tim on the CB1300, Schackster on the FZ6, his better half on the beautiful Ninja 650 and me on the black truck. Had a short stopover for a regrouping at the beautiful Rim Doi Resort near Chiang Dao and then it was all the way to the Kindergarten.
I hope that Dave and David will post more about what was done & given.
After some short speeches, presents were handed out and then a local lunch which the villagers prepared was munched down. After a nice time at this village we then went to the border and had a groupfoto done, after this our run back to Bungy's to cool it off for the day. I could spend more Saturday's like this I tell you.
Sorry I have only 3 Fotos which can be posted as my better half tried for a first to do some shots.

I especially love this new coming fellow rider, although underpowered he already shows enthusiasm:
kidonwoodenbike.jpg

Presents were plentyful most not seen on the fotos as inside the building:
presents.jpg

Kids lined up for waiting the speeches to be over and GET ON WITH IT:
kidsinline.jpg

One nice local guy & gal dressed up as clowns entertained the kids later on with doing all kinds of dolls & things with these long shaped ballons, was fun to watch the kids enjoy themselves.

Please let us do & have more of this !!!! Thanks to the organisers and especially to Dave Early who unfortunately had to drive a pick-up to get the teachers table & seat delivered.

Cheers, Franz

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Some piccies

The start at the X-Centre, Mae Rim, Chiang Mai.

chiang-mai-toy-ride-ban-mai-0001.jpg

Some bikes
chiang-mai-toy-ride-ban-mai-0002.jpg

chiang-mai-toy-ride-ban-mai-0003.jpg

chiang-mai-toy-ride-ban-mai-0004.jpg

Stopped en route at the army checkpoint turn off to Muang Na / Arunothai.

chiang-mai-toy-ride-ban-mai-0005.jpg

chiang-mai-toy-ride-ban-mai-0006.jpg

Some riders kitted up
chiang-mai-toy-ride-ban-mai-0007.jpg

chiang-mai-toy-ride-ban-mai-0008.jpg

chiang-mai-toy-ride-ban-mai-0012.jpg

chiang-mai-toy-ride-ban-mai-0009.jpg

chiang-mai-toy-ride-ban-mai-0010.jpg

chiang-mai-toy-ride-ban-mai-0011.jpg

Shoei helmets have excellent ventilation
chiang-mai-toy-ride-ban-mai-0014.jpg

Tim also has a trick bike
chiang-mai-toy-ride-ban-mai-0013.jpg

Oscar came with his Dad & had a great time.
chiang-mai-toy-ride-ban-mai-0015.jpg

Where we were headed: the Thai Myanmar border & Ban Mai Samakkhi
chiang-mai-toy-ride-ban-mai-0017.jpg

What it was
chiang-mai-toy-ride-ban-mai-0018.jpg

chiang-mai-toy-ride-ban-mai-0021.jpg

More coming....

pee

Mar 10, 2006
Few more pics...

Everyone is pleased
mumspleasedtoo.jpg

Everyone got toys to play with...
everyonegottoystoplaywith.jpg

Teacher's desk delivered
DeliveringDesk.jpg

How long will she manage to keep the plastic cover on the brand new desk...
Plasticonteacherdesk.jpg

Phone booth in Baan Samaki... And GrandMa in Adidas suit talked a long long time
AdidasGrandMumhadbusiness.jpg

I know this pic has already been posted ... However this young guy really deserves the "Toy Ride With Attitude Award 25552"
ToyRideWithAnAttitude.jpg

Thanks to the organizers who made this perfect day possible.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
The rest of my photos...

At the school
chiang-mai-toy-ride-ban-mai-0020.jpg

chiang-mai-toy-ride-ban-mai-0023.jpg

chiang-mai-toy-ride-ban-mai-0022.jpg

The kids
chiang-mai-toy-ride-ban-mai-0024.jpg

chiang-mai-toy-ride-ban-mai-0025.jpg

chiang-mai-toy-ride-ban-mai-0026.jpg

chiang-mai-toy-ride-ban-mai-0027.jpg

chiang-mai-toy-ride-ban-mai-0028.jpg

chiang-mai-toy-ride-ban-mai-0029.jpg

Ready for the Toy Give away
chiang-mai-toy-ride-ban-mai-0033.jpg

chiang-mai-toy-ride-ban-mai-0034.jpg

Stuffed toys, school bags & a lunch box for the kids
chiang-mai-toy-ride-ban-mai-0036.jpg

Satisfied customers
chiang-mai-toy-ride-ban-mai-0039.jpg

chiang-mai-toy-ride-ban-mai-0040.jpg

Sort of satisfied
chiang-mai-toy-ride-ban-mai-0041.jpg

Tables & chairs for the classroom
chiang-mai-toy-ride-ban-mai-0045.jpg

chiang-mai-toy-ride-ban-mai-0046.jpg

Fun & games with the clown for the kids
chiang-mai-toy-ride-ban-mai-0047.jpg

chiang-mai-toy-ride-ban-mai-0048.jpg

chiang-mai-toy-ride-ban-mai-0044.jpg

The toilet block was repainted
chiang-mai-toy-ride-ban-mai-0055.jpg

The playground equipment was refurbished & painted
chiang-mai-toy-ride-ban-mai-0049.jpg

chiang-mai-toy-ride-ban-mai-0050.jpg

chiang-mai-toy-ride-ban-mai-0051.jpg

A traditional Kachin lunch was provided for the Toy Riders, & it was delicious.
chiang-mai-toy-ride-ban-mai-0052.jpg

chiang-mai-toy-ride-ban-mai-0054.jpg

A magic day was capped off with a run out to the end of the road & the Myanmar border.
chiang-mai-toy-ride-ban-mai-0056.jpg

chiang-mai-toy-ride-ban-mai-0057.jpg

Thank you all for coming.
For the record, donated to the Ban Mai Samakkhi school & kids were
• Tables and chairs for children
• Teachers desk and chair
• Educational Books and Toys
• Learning posters, decoration and white / blackboard pens
• Paint for school - playground equipment & toilet block
• Snack box lunches for 100 kids
• Toy Ride School bags 100 kids
• Stuffed Toys

And a BIG THANK YOU to ALL the Chiang Mai Toy Ride Sponsors & supporters in 2009.

• Richco Motor Sport
• AA Insurance
• Tesco Lotus
• Thailand Freunde
• Chiang Mai X-Centre
• Mr. Peter
• E - Insurance
• Warm Up Café
• CM Expats Club
• Kawasaki
• The Legend Chiang Rai
• Niyom Panich Triumph
• Siam Sun
• Active Thailand
• Barcelona BMW
• Thai Chit Chat
• Pico Picolomini
• Max
• Code Electric
• RST Instruments
• Number 1 Pub
• Straghan Family
• Harriet Wilson
• North Comets
• Good Print
• 11 Graphic
• HD Playground
• Chiang Mai Group
• Time Flies Dials
• Mr. Joe
• Dr. Sudee Sudsana

Anymore photos - please post 'em if you want to.

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
Not much to add :D . Some great photos posted already. It certainly was good fun, and thanks to all who attended.

Also thanks to the Chiang Mai Hiking Group who actually started the project and asked for our support. They and the villagers put a lot of hard work into the building and grounds.

Oh yeah, the clowns are provided by Chiang Mai ToyRide. They are a Thai couple who live in Chiang Mai and have become a regular part of our events. They are great! If you need clowns for a party or event we can supply the phone number.

I hope those who were unable to make it to this event will be able to join in on some of the future rides and events.

Stay tuned to GT-Rider and Chiang Mai ToyRide for more information.

Don't forget, 21 FEBRUARY 2010 is the BIG ONE!!!!