Thread: CNX-Samoeng-Pong Kwao Hot Springs

CNX-Samoeng-Pong Kwao Hot Springs

The route 108, 1269, 6033, 1269, 108

Total distance 161 km

It was out of town on the 108 then a right for Samoeng on the 1269

Loads of bends along the 1269

I ride through Samoeng and take a right, after a few kms the road is numbered 6033

Some good bends along here too

I reach the village of Pong Kwao and a funeral is taking place

After the village the road turns to dirt for the rest of the waqy to the hot springs

this stream runs past the hot springs and here the rideable road finishes

I walk into the grounds of the hot springs and it is completely deserted and mostly locked up, this picture was taken from over the top of the locked gate

Definitely not a hot spring, the water was very cold

This was the only bath that wasnt locked, its very warm water in there

A nice resort here but where is everybody, I guess that they are all at the funeral in the village

The first signs of life since I arrived, as I leave a couple of pick up trucks laden with the staff arrive

I ride back the way that I rode out, never having been out here before and having to rely on a dodgy old map that I purchased this morning I dont want to get lost out here when night falls

A thoroughly enjoyable ride out here and I must explore more of these little side roads next time I ride here

I eat at Miguels for the best Mexican food in Chiang Mai at

106/1 Chaiyaphum Road

Tel 053 874148

www.miguels-cafe.com

A gorgeous plate of sizzling fajitas, there is an extensive menu of top notch food here

I always eat here when I want Mexican food, originally opened and owned by Mike of Mikes Burgers its now owned and run by Mark, a very amiable Canadian guy.

Hot off the press, I was informed that a 2nd Miguels should be opening on march 1st but as the proprieter is a poster on gt-rider I will leave it to him to spill the beans

Biker

Inspired by your report I went to Pong Kwao myself today on a rented D-Tracker. I rode to Mae Rim & then took 4017 to 6033. What a great spot! I had a nice soak & since I was the only guest they let me use both the hot, small tub and the cooler, larger pool. For those of you who get worked up over dual pricing, be warned - it's in effect here. 60 Baht for Thais, 150 Baht for foreigners. But after riding all the way there & seeing those inviting pools, I was in no mood to be righteous. I'll definitely go back sometime. And the ride was a blast too. In fact, I'm now thinking seriously about getting me one of them D-Trackers for myself.

Indeed one of Chiang Mai's best "secrets" :

THE PONG KHWAO HOT SPRINGS..

Took a run out to Pong Khwao today with James from Citylife magazine.

We went the "back way" via Mae Khi - Mae Pa - Pong Khwao & returned Pong Khwao - Mae Pa - Ban Pok - Samoeng - "Hang Dong" - the canal road / home to Cnx.

En route you have to stop at the old treasure house Coffee House by Hmong Lodge.

The way Mae Khi - Mae Pa

Blue sky & puffy whites

The Pong Khwao Hot Springs grounds

And true to Pong Khwao form it was a full house

of empty chairs = we were the only customers!

But at least the Mayflower was in

Need a hot bath

the way to go

Pick a hut

Or pick a tub

If there's no one around it might not be easy to get much food out of the kitchen; James & I were hungry but were well satisfied with a double serving of fried mama noodles & pork. Yum Yum. Basic but delicious.

Riding back to Samoeng from Mae Pa was a westward journey - into the setting sun; so my hot tip is do what we did in reverse.
    Take the south route from Chiang Mai to Samoeng, and then ride Samoeng - Ban Pok - Mae Pa - Pong Khwao. Return Pong Khwao - Mae Pa - Mae Khi - Mae Rim - Chiang Mai.

Note too that Mae Khi - Mae Pa is now all asphalt, as is Mae Pa - Samoeng; but there is still some dirt on the Tung Ting - Samoeng sector.

This little day trip is a perfect Honda Dream / D-Tracker ride with lovely winding steep narrow rural back roads. Check it out soon while it is still all green!
    Davidfl
    Keep The Power On

You crease me up Colin!

having to rely on a dodgy old map that I purchased this morning I dont want to get lost out here when night falls

Ally

Re: CNX-Samoeng-Pong Kwao Hot Springs

Bump for David Race - what's further on out the back.
    If you want to do this later this week when the weather clears, pls drop me a line & Im up for it.
    Davidfl
    Keep The Power On

Re: CNX-Samoeng-Pong Kwao Hot Springs

Just a brief update

1. The funky Coffee House by Hmong Lodge appears to be gone.

2. The road from Mae Khi - Mae Pa is a bit chopped up in places
    Name:  IMG_6537.JPG
Views: 191
Size:  369.8 KB

3. The rest of the road is generally fine
    Name:  IMG_6539.JPG
Views: 167
Size:  306.5 KB

Name:  IMG_6542.JPG
Views: 171
Size:  278.3 KB
    Davidfl