Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What medicine or remedy do you use for dehli belly ??

What medicine or remedy do you use for dehli belly ??

We have all had it at times.. not pleasant and over the years I've learned that the first feeling of that uncomfortable feeling in stomach and bowels should be immediately greeted with an armoured phalanx of medicine.
    I've used Norfloxacin allot which does work well however following recent trip to China I came down with something a bit more stubborn and only high doses of Tetracycline seemed to be it nemesis.
    Not a big fan of chemical corks so to speak as they seem to only treat the symptoms and not kill the bugs. Of course high does of tetracycline mean you are likely to have a very red sunburned face after a ride however thats acceptable.

Just interested in what you are packing in your kit when you go away to guard/ treat intestinal upsets .

I read somewhere that some Amazonian or remote tribe would insert freshly peeled taro root in their nether regions as a remedy however perhaps that one is not for me.

Re: What medicine or remedy do you use for dehli belly ??

I've never had anything serious enough (bleeding, dehydration, electrolyte imbalance etc) to need them, but every time I went in for travel vaccinations they would script me for Ciprofloxacin and Azithromycin. I have had a few cases of bad belly, but was always able to flush the bugs out with ample volumes of club/soda water and eating several of those probiotic cups of yogurt a day. The beneficial bacteria in the yogurt tend to compete with the baddies for sustenance and after sending enough reinforcements down the gullet, the bad guys lose. But if after a few days, it's no better, then you have to call in the big guns (pills).

Disento!
    Name:  IMG_5868.jpg
Views: 1522
Size:  152.4 KB
    God's gift to motorcyclists for "upset tummies."

Brilliant stuff. I've had guys spewing at both ends & after taking this stuff they were fit enough to ride in 20 minutes.

http://www.mims.com/Thailand/drug/info/Disento/Disento

Going for a long remote ride, then don't leave home without it!
    Otherwise generally available at most pharmacies.
    Davidfl
    Keep The Power On

Biker Legend
    Article 19 of the United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights

1) Diiodohydroxyquinoline can be used in the treatment of amoebiasis.

2) Furazolidone: in humans it has used to treat diarrhoea and enteritis caused by bacteria or protozoan infections, it is no longer available in the US. Though an effective antibiotic when all others fail, against extremely drug resistant infections, it has many side effects, and as with other nitrofurans generally, minimum inhibitory concentrations also produce systemic toxicity (tremors, convulsions, peripheral neuritis, gastrointestinal disturbances, depression of spermatogenesis.) Nitrofurans are recognized by FDA as mutagens/carcinogens, and can no longer be used since 1991.

3) Neomycin Sulfate: Patients treated with neomycin should be under close clinical observation because of the potential toxicity associated with their use. NEUROTOXICITY (INCLUDING OTOTOXICITY) AND NEPHROTOXICITY FOLLOWING THE ORAL USE OF NEOMYCIN SULFATE HAVE BEEN REPORTED, EVEN WHEN USED IN RECOMMENDED DOSES.

4) Phthalylsulfathiazole is a broad spectrum antimicrobial that can treat different types of infections including intestinal.

5) Kaolinite is a clay mineral, used to soothe an upset stomach, similar to the way parrots (and later, humans) in South America originally used it. More recently, industrially-produced kaolinite preparations were formerly common for treatment of diarrhea. The use of it for humans is not accepted by the US FDA any more?

Please: understand that some medication you can buy over the counter in Thailand may do more harm then good, know what you take and take it moderatly.

The abundant use of antibiotics has caused certain bacteria (causing pneumonia) in Thailand to be 50% resistant to anitbiotics, way upto 90% in Vietnam!!!
    In Europe the resistance of the same bacteria againgst the same anitbiotics is around 10-20%!

Brake034,
    Thanks for the Disento review, but "what medicine or remedy do you use for dehli belly ??"
    Davidfl
    Keep The Power On

Biker Legend

The best way to react to any kind of food poisoning after the initail (3 days?) DIY period feejer mentioned, is to CONSULT A DOCTOR!

Based on tests of the "issue" the doc can determine what is the bad bug that did bite you.
    And for each specific bug, there is a specific treatment.
    This narrow band treatment will narrow side effects, narrow potential bacterial resistance and you will be on your feet sooner then continue the DIY treatment.

If you ask me what bugs in Thailand did not develop any resistance is too hard for me to reply, I am not a doctor, I just know this stuff is so bad that after 3 days of DIY it is time to call in the experts!
    I did read up into this matter a bit however and suggest co-trimoxazole (can be used as a prophylaxis) and Azithromycin.

Blog Entries

+1!

Disento is da bomb! It's sorted me out on several occasions and I know many who swear by it.

Have never suffered any bad side effects and don't know of anyone who has.

Of course if quality medical care is available it should be consulted. But if you're in a remote area with no access to medical care I'd recommend Disento without reservation.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyBKK View Post
    +1!

Disento is da bomb! It's sorted me out on several occasions and I know many who swear by it.

Of course if quality medical care is available it should be consulted. But if you're in a remote area with no access to medical care I'd recommend Disento without reservation.

Sounds like it is the kit although for limited doses only.. combination of drugs hits wide spectrum of possible nasties and of course if symptoms continue then visit to the doctor mandatory. Thanks all. Dave is Disento available at most drug stores ??

I am surprised nobody has mentioned medical grade charcoal. I find about 80% of the time the Charcoal will clear things right up if it is taken early enough. It is very benign so no fear in taking it even if you suspect bad food or feel a little bit off. The other 20% of the time I just try to let nature take its course, your body is purging for a reason. If I absolutely have no other choice I will take an (or rather 2) Imodium but it has some pretty serious side effects yet never fails to do the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by Davidfl View Post
    Disento!
    Name:  IMG_5868.jpg
Views: 1522
Size:  152.4 KB
    God's gift to motorcyclists for "upset tummies."

Brilliant stuff. I've had guys spewing at both ends & after taking this stuff they were fit enough to ride in 20 minutes.

http://www.mims.com/Thailand/drug/info/Disento/Disento

Going for a long remote ride, then don't leave home without it!
    Otherwise generally available at most pharmacies.

Had this discussion with David a few months back. I usually use Norfloxacin (Noroxin)
    This is sold under many different brand names and costs around 60 baht.

It is an antibiotic and when taken needs to be used up as per the instructions.

While I don't really like to take these.. when in the middle of Laos and you need to ride or you get really sick..
    This does the job. rather than being in bed or stomach cramps and worse! usually begin to feel better in hours.

Asked the chemist near work what is the difference between this and disento.. He said disento is milder.

Now I carry both.. Disento to start with and Norfloxacin if it doesn't get better..
    Only when in the middle of no where and no docs around.

Cheers
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by monty1412 View Post
    Sounds like it is the kit although for limited doses only.. combination of drugs hits wide spectrum of possible nasties and of course if symptoms continue then visit to the doctor mandatory. Thanks all. Dave is Disento available at most drug stores ??
    I use Disento and have found it everywhere I asked

Biker Legend

Quote Originally Posted by TonyBKK View Post
    +1!

Agreed. If you are leaking from both ends out in the bush, ya gotta use what works quickly to get yourself in a better way. But any med w/ antibiotics has side effects, most of which is they kill everything (good and bad) which can lead to chronic issues. Which is why I always start with the natural soda water / yogurt approach. It has always worked within 24-36 hours. But really only practical if in or close to town and you have a room with the porcelain throne nearby. Purge you will but that is the idea.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/40...e-stomach-flu/

Revered Old Git
    Blog Entries

What is an dehli belly?

There should be made a difference in diarrhoea and infection. Two different things that should be taken care of different.

Diarrhoea is mostly the reaction of an food-poisening. And the poisoning has to go out ASAP. So using medicine to stop everything going out is a bad idea the first 24hrs. If you need to travel and you can not stop it then use medicine to stop it. But do not use it longer as 2 or 3 days. Keeping all the poisoning inside is dangerous.

If the diarrhoea persists after 2 or 3 days and/or you have high fever, then there is probably also an infection and you will need anti-bitotic. As mentioned earlier there are some good reasons to be careful with the usages of antibiotic, it are not candies!

With diarrhoea you will loose a lot of water and minirals so drink-drink-drink .... water (not Beer Lao) and use ORS.

Personally I would drink Coke that is a bit dead (not too much bubbles) and not too cold, and use a kind of loperamide. Eating banana will also help.

Chang Noi

You could always try Bisto, it might not cure it but it should thicken it up a bit

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct...fMGx6L6ua2r3sw

Leader of the Pack

Its been very informative ive been bad for over a week now, Mexico seems to make me ill alot more than Thailand.

I am going to try a few of these remedies as i have been on imodium now for about 10 days , i feel alot worse of a night , been going to work tho.

Trip to the doctors if none of these remedies help, Thanks Guys.

On a brighter note i go home on the 24th and i pick up my KLX 250, not all bad.

Ride safe people

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by jimbobs View Post

I am going to try a few of these remedies as i have been on imodium now for about 10 days , i feel alot worse of a night , been going to work tho.

Bugger mate - 10 days!!!! The Imodium website site indicates that if the diarrhea lasts for more then 2 days you should stop taking Imodium and consult a doctor.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbobs View Post
    Its been very informative ive been bad for over a week now, Mexico seems to make me ill alot more than Thailand.

On a brighter note i go home on the 24th and i pick up my KLX 250, not all bad.

Ride safe people
    Wow 10 days on Imodium.. You need a stool sample taken and checked out by the doc.
    Sounds like you have something a bit more the Mex Tex belly..

Imodium is really a last choice for me as it keeps the poison in and 10 days is long.

Hope you feel better soon..

Cheers
    Brian

One thing that always cracked me up when I lived in Singapore and may be the packaging has changed..
    But on the Imodium packet it stated " Imodium, allowing you to go throughout your day with confidence " AKA " With out shitting yourself "

+1 charcoal, really cheap at Boots chemists.
    Harri. HondaBerg FE570, XR650R.

Leader of the Pack

Ha ha Harry theres no Boots in Mexico

But i am pleased to say i had a mighty solid shite today,,,,,sorry if it went off topic,,,,,,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast