7 day Chiang Mai loop March 2012

Oct 4, 2011
Hey there, my first post here. Me and 3 mates from Oz are planning a road trip in March next year having done something similar in Cambodia last year. We are looking for a nice cruisy ride for around 7 days but hoping to see some great sights. When I say cruisy I mean we are only looking at about 200kms per day of riding and the rest of the time checking out the countryside. Any and all suggestions are more than welcome. 8)

Jul 25, 2010
Best to get the GT Rider Golden Triangle map. Its got everything on it that you need to plan such a tour. Sounds like you want a leisurely trip and the geographical area of the map has a great deal to offer - roads, sights, places to stay etc so you really cant go wrong. Have a good trip.
Ron

daewoo

Dec 6, 2005
Hi Hotfire...

Songkran is 13 Apr 2012 - 15 Apr 2012. Make sure your riding is all done before then... If I was you, I would try and hang around for it, as I reckon it is the best fun you can have standing up until you fall down - but most of the grumpy old longtermers hate it...

I would suggest maybe doing two loops out of Chiang Mai, rather than a single 7 day loop - Maybe May Hong Son (East of CNX) - 2 or 3 days, and than Loei/Nan (West of CM) for 3 or 4 days...

That way you can carry less gear, get back to Chiang Mai civilisation, and have some Western Food... if you are having any trouble with the bikes you can swap them....

Loei, is just inside the Isaan region, (Nan is just outside) which is culturally and geographically very different to Mae Hong Son, which is more closely ethnically and geographically to Burma, just across the border...

IMHO, the riding is better to the West of Chiang Mai, but the scenery better to the East...

Note that by March, there has probably been no significant rain for 6 months, so aside from being freaking hot, the scenery will be mostly browned off (gets that way from Jan)... Also, The Northern Thai's love a bit of slash and burn farming, and in March apparently it is a big problem...

Hope this helps...

Cheers,
Darryl