Bike from Thailand to India or Nepal

Jul 18, 2007
Greetings, back on the forum after being away and/or preoccupied for a while.

Also just back from Nepal, trekking up the Kali Gandaki, where I encountered a number of folks touring on DS type bikes. It would be great to get the GS up there.

Have any of you had experience with getting a bike from Thailand to India or Nepal, and if so your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Tks,

Sandy

Jul 25, 2010
Sandy, where did you go up the Kali Gandaki? I went up to Lo-Manthang from Jomson through Ghemi and Charang a couple of years ago:crazy:. What a blast that was but not much of a trip for bikes I have to say. Ron

Jul 18, 2007
ronwebb;267919 wrote: Sandy, where did you go up the Kali Gandaki? I went up to Lo-Manthang from Jomson through Ghemi and Charang a couple of years ago:crazy:. What a blast that was but not much of a trip for bikes I have to say. Ron

Ron, this was the completion of unfinished business from 29 years ago - a group of us intended to trek from Pokhara to Muktinath, but some got sick so none of us made it farther than Tukuche. This time my brother, his wife, my nieces, and my GF flew into Jomsom - we walked down to Tukuche on the west side of the KG, then back up on the east side to Kagbeni, then up to Muktinath, then a brilliant hike down back to Jomsom via Lupra. That was the best day's walk I've ever had.

Next year we will probably do Lo-Manthang and I think a GS could probably make it. (I'm not sure about me...)

S.

Jul 25, 2010
NDSinBKK;267935 wrote:

Next year we will probably do Lo-Manthang and I think a GS could probably make it. (I'm not sure about me...)

S.
Mmmm. You have got eight passes over 4000 mtrs each way and no gas at all so you would have to bring your own in by mule! We didn't see one vehicle after going up from the river bed.
Even if you could get fuel, for sure I couldn't get a bike up the 'Nepalie Flat' as our guide called the trek, but I guess there is some mad man who could manage it......

267943=3341-Mustang%20304.jpg

267943=3342-Mustang%20371.jpg

267943=3343-Mustang%20372.jpg