Can't Enter Thailand With A Vietnamese Motorbike ?

Dec 11, 2011
Hi

I just tried today to cross the border next to Paksé - Laos to Thailand. They refused because of my vietnamese motorbike (honda win 110cc).

I looked for further informations on internet and all I found is this page on GT-Rider
https://www.gt-rider.com/website-news/border-crossings-thailand-laos-vietnam.htm

Is it confirmed ? I can't enter Thailand ?
The very few information I find on internet is confusing, like that page and the last guy who crossed the friendly bridge : http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/southern-asia/stuck-border-taking-vietnam-registered-57365

Many beers for the guy with a solution ;)

Feb 1, 2010
Hi Mate,

In 9/2011, I had cross the border Vang Tao Chong Mek and the NEW OFFICER refused me can't into Thailand with motorbike from Vietnam although i had cross this border into Thailand success in 4/2011 :)

So, you can try another border at Savannakhet or Vieng Chan, some guy Vietnamese had into Thailand at border Vieng Chan success with motorbike from Vietnam.

Good luck :)

Dec 11, 2011
Thanks for your reply !

Actually, I was in a rush because my lao visa expired yesterday and each day cost 10$. So I crossed in Cambodia and I will look your informations if it's possible to cross in Poipet. If you have any..... ;)

Jul 11, 2007
Hello Turtles,
sorry to interfere in your problem,but i hope you can be of some help.
I am presently in relation with a french biker on a 100 honda registered in Vietnam.In Pakse he was approched by a lao guy who wanted to buy his bike,saying that he would be denied entry into Cambodia. But I can see you made it .
If you can answer...
Merci,

Lung.

Feb 1, 2010
Turtles;274161 wrote: Thanks for your reply !

Actually, I was in a rush because my lao visa expired yesterday and each day cost 10$. So I crossed in Cambodia and I will look your informations if it's possible to cross in Poipet. If you have any..... ;)

Hi,

The 9/2011 i had crossed into Thailand at Koh Kong and exit at Pailin, so you can try this border.

About Poipet border, i had crossed from Thailand to Cambodia at Poipet comeback to VietNam in 2009 but i don't know how about now.

Dec 11, 2011
guichard;274162 wrote: Hello Turtles,
sorry to interfere in your problem,but i hope you can be of some help.
I am presently in relation with a french biker on a 100 honda registered in Vietnam.In Pakse he was approched by a lao guy who wanted to buy his bike,saying that he would be denied entry into Cambodia. But I can see you made it .
If you can answer...
Merci,

Lung.

Hi Lung

Absolutely no problem to enter Cambodia with a vietnamese motorbike. They absolutely don't give a shit about it. Even not asking for papers.
A friend crossed this same border few days before me and it was the same.

De rien ;)

Dec 28, 2011
Is it a question of paying the right 'fee' at the right crossing at the right time? Or has there been a change in policy at the Thai borders? I'm also looking for a way to get a Viet registered old 67 into and through Thailand to get down to Malaysia. I've heard that the age of the bike can change things ... is this true? I will pitch in with Turtles on a generous beer reward for a solution!

Rogdog

Jun 10, 2012
Anything further on this topic? I'm riding a Vietnamese register motorbike, legally imported, legally registered.... all as up and up as you can do it in Vietnam (read expensive). Anyone recently crossed into Thailand on a Vietnamese registered bike? I'm riding a BMW G650GS, so looks respectable, and everything is in my name.

Dec 28, 2011
Rogdog;279847 wrote: Anything further on this topic? I'm riding a Vietnamese register motorbike, legally imported, legally registered.... all as up and up as you can do it in Vietnam (read expensive). Anyone recently crossed into Thailand on a Vietnamese registered bike? I'm riding a BMW G650GS, so looks respectable, and everything is in my name.
If the registration is in YOUR name there is no problem at all I managed to cross on a Honda 67 with an old vietnam 93 rego in my name in Feb via Poipet. As long as all the numbers match and the rego is your name they will give you 30days to ride the bike through or in and then out again. You will have to sign a worrying document promising to pay 3x the value of the bike if you leave Thailand without it. It helps to turn up with ALL the forms already filled out (you can get them from here but they are outrageously - and unjustly- expensive) or drop by the Embassy in PP. I rode the Honda sabai all the way to Penang. A smile and some "quickly money" can help too.

Dec 28, 2011
Here's Charlie on the Thai side complete with bottle of water given by the customs guy ps my papers weren't even exactly "fair dinkum" as we say down under and I made it through just fine.

Attached files
279876=11054-IMAG0259.jpg

Rogdog

Jun 10, 2012
Cool... thanks for the update... now I just have to find out whether the Vietnamese authorities will harrass me when I try to return.... that and pick up some new rain gear - hate rainy season.

Dec 28, 2011
I crossed the Ha Tien border back into Vietnam (with a honda dream engine (illegally) attached to the ss50 frame in PPenh after a piston seizure) and my original 67 engine block strapped to the back of the bike for a rebuld in HCMC. My experience was if you had Viet rego plates and papers (but they didn't even check them) it was all fine. The Viet customs guy was more interested in my bodyweight to horsepower ratio as a source of amusement than anything else. I recommend Kampot as a stopover if you go that way and on a Beemer the dirt road will be a breeze. Ha Tien was easily the most ad hoc and 'open to suggestion' crossing I encountered in Vietnam. Have fun in the rain and stay upright! I envy you already.

Jan 9, 2011
I and my big bike group in Vietnam also consider this issue as we would like to ride from Vietnam thru Laos, into Thailand and come back.
Appreciate your advices.

Dec 28, 2011
VietHorse;280412 wrote: I and my big bike group in Vietnam also consider this issue as we would like to ride from Vietnam thru Laos, into Thailand and come back.
Appreciate your advices.
Once again rego in your name fine someone else's ... problems.

Dec 28, 2011
đăng ký văn bản trong tên của bạn
không có vấn đề
đăng ký tài liệu không có trong tên của bạn (tên công ty hoặc tên của bạn)
vấn đề

Jan 9, 2011
nobbysinclair;280424 wrote: đăng ký văn bản trong tên của bạn
không có vấn đề
đăng ký tài liệu không có trong tên của bạn (tên công ty hoặc tên của bạn)
vấn đề
Well, this is really bad google translation. :lol-sign:

Jan 9, 2011
Haha.... J/k bro!
For Viet -Cambodia border, they may not consider the small bikes but the big bike. We would bring big bikes cross the border and for sure there would be lots of painful process. Our team have experienced once in 2009. Each bike may cost more than $200 for making clear the documents. So on for the way back.

So that we are planning to cross Laos border which is known very much easier than Cambodia border.
My concern, really concern is how to pass the Laos-Thai border and back smoothly. Yeah, as the topic title, that may be a really big issue.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Yes from what I can gather in Hanoi, bikes are getting turned back from all the Laos border crossing checkpoints in the North too. Supposedly a new policy/ ruling from inside Laos.
I will endeavour to get some info from inside Laos.

Mar 7, 2014
alex_den;274155 wrote: Hi Mate,

In 9/2011, I had cross the border Vang Tao Chong Mek and the NEW OFFICER refused me can't into Thailand with motorbike from Vietnam although i had cross this border into Thailand success in 4/2011 :)

So, you can try another border at Savannakhet or Vieng Chan, some guy Vietnamese had into Thailand at border Vieng Chan success with motorbike from Vietnam.

Good luck :)
Although this thread is a bit old, I just wanted to provide a little bit of an update.

The OP is right. There is NO policy to allow any Vietnamese vehicle entry into Thailand. After all, Vietnam refuses entry to Thai registered vehicles, so why should Thailand allow entry to Vietnamese ones? What an unfair and one sided policy this would be, but fortunately they don't allow it. Thailand does what Vietnam applies to them on a reciprocal basis, as it should. I've asked customs officers at virtually every Thai-Lao checkpoint, including Pakse/Chong Mek, Savannakhet/Mukdahan, Tha Khaek/Nakorn Phanom and Vientiane/Nong Khai to confirm: Vietnamese vehicles can NOT enter Thailand, not cars, not trucks and most certainly not bikes as they are usually not permitted to even cross any of the bridges, except larger motorcycles (250cc up) crossing the 1st Friendship Bridge between Vientiane and Nong Khai or the 4th Friendship Bridge, however, these bikes can't be registered in Vietnam. In practice mostly Thai, Chinese and third country foreign registered bikes cross at either bridge - I've never once seen a Lao one cross and I've been across the 1st Friendship bridge and to Nong Khai in general many many times. I went across these 4 crossings where I spoke with customs between Vientiane and Pakse all last November (2014) so my info is pretty up-to-date. And for the record, I speak fluent Thai as well as Lao so there were no misunderstandings.

In fact, it's not just the Thai officials, but the Lao officials won't allow a Vietnamese vehicle to exit for Thailand and I confirmed this by speaking to Lao customs at Vang Tao near Pakse. This means that Vietnamese bikes generally won't even get as far as Thai customs as the Lao won't allow them to leave. Additionally, they won't allow Cambodian vehicles to exit for Thailand either; Cambodian vehicles need to enter Thailand directly from Cambodia - third country crossings aren't allowed. This explains the trouble experienced by many drivers/riders heading from Laos to Cambodia directly. This seems to be an unofficial policy in the region - you can only make crossings directly from one country to the next one e.g. Thai vehicles to Laos, Cambo vehicles to Thailand; with a few exceptions, for example, Singapore/Malaysia to Laos via Thailand or vv. is OK. However, as Laos, Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore are quite open to the entry of foreign registered vehicles they usually make some exceptions to this rule. For example, Laos generally permits the entry of a third country foreign registered vehicle entering the country from Cambodia, but as mentioned heading in the opposite direction is a bit of a hit and miss.

Anyone that could enter Thailand with a Vietnamese bike in the past was probably very lucky and found a loophole or a customs agent who didn't know the rules - in particular, if they are trying to enter from Laos, which in turn now generally doesn't allow Vietnamese bikes in anymore. Coming in from Cambodia might be easier as there is no official system there with no insurance for foreign registered vehicles and the Thais might just turn a blind eye to the rules as they rarely see much traffic crossing into Thailand, but I wouldn't bother as it's all a bit uncertain - also, I'm not sure that a Vietnamese vehicle entering from Vietnam is legally allowed to drive outside of the border province they entered; in practice Cambodia turns a blind eye to it but still, it's risky if you get caught by the police.

AEC 2015 might change things but so far there are no indications of any changes ahead and in fact, the last couple of years has seen a couple of countries, in particular Laos and Vietnam tighten their regulations on the entry of foreign registered vehicles, in the case of Laos this has mostly been limited to motorcycles with rules depending on the size of the bike, entry point, number of motorcycles entering at one time etc., while Vietnam is trying a last ditch attempt to prevent any foreign registered vehicles (except Lao and Cambodian registered cars, buses and trucks) from entering solo to prevent these vehicles being sold illegally (vehicle tax in Vietnam is the 3rd highest in the world, thus all types of vehicles except small scooters and motorcycles are very, very expensive there) and a secondary reason I guess is they don't want to risk accidents occurring in a country with only a rudimentary ambulance system and very basic medical care outside of the major 3 cities (Hanoi, HCMC and Danang).

Wald0

Sep 7, 2013
Well, maybe this is only for small bikes? I know there has been many Vietnamese big bikes in Thailand, in fact BMW Vietnam club is coming to Thailand on 26th. I wish I could go too, but I only ride Honda ;)

Screen%20Shot%202015-04-07%20at%2022.54.43_zpszeq485a8.jpg

Mar 7, 2014
DavidGTR;304868 wrote: According to Thai Customs in Chiang Khong there is no reason why a Viet registered bike cannot enter Thailand, provided the rider has all the correct ownership papers.
Sorry but they were mistaken. There is no cross border traffic agreement between Thailand and Vietnam. If Vietnam doesn't allow Thai vehicles in, then surely Thailand won't allow Vietnamese ones in? And I have asked nearly every border crossing between Thailand and Laos, on both sides of the border and the response has been unanimous: NO Vietnamese vehicles can enter. The only exceptions are tours, organised in advance. The same applies for Thai tours going to Vietnam.

AEC 2015 may change that, but in the meantime the Thais certainly wouldn't allow Vietnamese in if they don't get easy entry to Vietnam (again AEC 2015 at the end of this year may change that). Not that many would come anyway, it's mostly Vietnamese based expats that would be interested. But individuals showing up at the border won't be allowed to leave Laos for Thailand without some kind of advance arrangements made.