Communicating on GT Rider has taught me old lessons, in a new way. Lessons I first discovered over 20 years ago.

Biggles

Subscribed
Dec 11, 2012
Over 20 years ago, an old friend of mine said he far preferred using 1. face to face 2. phone. 3. email 4, in TXT in that order in business, regardless of whether he knew the client or not, but even more so with those who were new to him. At the time I’d never really thought about it because I’d mostly used phones in my business at that time. So I asked him why he had that opinion?

He replied with something like...Whats the point of both parties (who often do not know each other, their level of experience, how they like to be related to, or what sort of person they are) spending hours on keyboards trying to communicate often re complex subjects? He said its too easy for either side to make assumptions, &/or misreading &/or misinterpreting each others wants, offers, intentions & emotions. This because you cannot see the person or read their face or emotions. Its a recipe for escalation of communication problems (he said). Upon thinking about it I agreed. I agree even more today. Why?

20 years later, I've never forgotten what my old friend said. Today we have social media which only makes it worse. Anyone who watches the net as an independent can see that FaceBook thrives on just these kind of factors which set people off against each other. FB know that. So does Trip Advisor, just ask friends you have in TH travel and tourism industry. Its why I gave up FB & all others anything like it. So whats a solution?

IMHO the kind of subjects we discuss on GTRider motorcycles, riding, gear, travel, food and accom) would be far better talked about when and where possible via weekly, fortnightly or monthly over a meal & beer / coffee (whatever those on here want), at least occasionally, so that people can actually know each other for real There is so much knowledge to be shared, and we can do this far faster, in a far more friendly way, by doing at least a part of that face to face.

The curse thats plagued the world for 3 yrs looks like its on its last legs, (hopefully) so maybe we can have a regular meet in CM say alternating between North CM and South CM, to keep it fair on travel time and distance. Maybe once a month to start with? I live in South CM and can suggest a few places. IMHO I’d choose one place North and one place South, and stick to these, a place with no ownership links to any member. A FB MC group I was involved with (good people) tried to do a different venue across CM for ea MotoGP. But it seemed to fail because often people could not find each new venue every time we met. EG Got tired of searching.

So, what is the verdict folks?

PS: I’m not even a subscriber, because I have a technical issue (which is a question for Dave FL re payments). So how do I PM on this website? If its easier to tell me with a TXT link of instructions to do it, just send that please. Many thanks in advance.

PSS: Yes I know Dave U has his monthly dinners, which is great. I would love to go, and I’m very much looking forward to same. But I, like some others are stuck in one place, for a time, for various reasons. In my case thats building, so I cannot go away from CM for even a few days. Ive alert learnt that the hard way.

Reactions: Ughetto

canthai

Subscribed
Apr 8, 2015
To send PM (personal message)
Click on persons Avatar, click on 'start a conversation'

Heineken

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Mar 2, 2019
Yes I know Dave U has his monthly dinners, which is great. I would love to go, and I’m very much looking forward to same. But I, like some others are stuck in one place, for a time, for various reasons. In my case thats building, so I cannot go away from CM for even a few days. Ive alert learnt that the hard way.

There are plenty of social motorbike groups in Chiang Mai and they have their weekly catch ups, one group is every friday night for a beer o,clock, locations vary from week to week......................great guys from all walks of life and different nationalities...............................there is an abundance of day rides out of Chiang Mai.

The GTR Dinners organized by Davin Unk are a great way to meet like minded riders, and yep there is alot of information that is shared around between us, whether its travel locations/bike shops/tyre shops, the list goes on...............................us guys who live up here in Chiang Rai/Phayao also catch up regularly for lunch, just a day out..............................it was only lastweek 4 of us met up at Phu Chi Fah for lunch and a ride through the mountains.

Reactions: DKT Dave

mikerust

Subscribed
Nov 5, 2003
IMHO the kind of subjects we discuss on GTRider motorcycles, riding, gear, travel, food and accom) would be far better talked about when and where possible via weekly, fortnightly or monthly over a meal & beer / coffee (whatever those on here want), at least occasionally, so that people can actually know each other for real There is so much knowledge to be shared, and we can do this far faster, in a far more friendly way, by doing at least a part of that face to face.

I don't live in a conurbation like CM so don't get to see many riders. The ones I do happen to go to the one expat cafe we have. We don't talk much about bikes. I suppose because I'm only a part-time rider.:idea:
Most of the people I have met at monthly gatherings although very sociable would rather ride than chat. Which they do by riding a lot. I note that most postings on here are about riding not technical stuff.

Surely motorcycling is a solitary pursuit?

Biggles

Subscribed
Dec 11, 2012
There are plenty of social motorbike groups in Chiang Mai and they have their weekly catch ups, one group is every friday night for a beer o,clock, locations vary from week to week......................great guys from all walks of life and different nationalities...............................there is an abundance of day rides out of Chiang Mai.

The GTR Dinners organized by Davin Unk are a great way to meet like minded riders, and yep there is alot of information that is shared around between us, whether its travel locations/bike shops/tyre shops, the list goes on...............................us guys who live up here in Chiang Rai/Phayao also catch up regularly for lunch, just a day out..............................it was only lastweek 4 of us met up at Phu Chi Fah for lunch and a ride through the mountains.
Thank you Heineken. I look forward to meeting you maybe at a dinner, after I get this house finished. Its a one off design, not a project home, so I must be about to make sure its OK. Re: Friday beer o’clock, is that a FaceBook group, like Krusty Riders (interested). There are others which are umm, not my thing, because. I like a club with folks from all over world regardless of race, colour, creed, male or female. I can get out locally of an evening for a few hours, so that might be good if I knew how to find who & their next meet locale. If you can, let me know. I’d meet you of a Fri, but seems you are in Chiang Rai.