Laos Motorcycle Tour. Nov 2010. Dust, dirt and beers.

Moto-Rex

Subscribed
Jan 5, 2008
Laos Motorcycle Tour Nov 2010. Dirt, Dust and Beers.

The bike. KLX. My trusty green machine.

Inspiration. Reading Jurgens Laos trip reports while I was stuck in Australiastan.

Weather. Cool nights and sunny days.

The way.

Day 1. Cross over to Houei Xai.
Day 2. Houei Xai – Pak Beng.
Day 3. Pak Beng – Luang Prabang. via Hongsa.
Day 4. Luang Prabang.
Day 5. Luang Phabang – Kasi track – Luang Prabang.
Day 6. Luang Prabang – Nong Khiew. via Sam Soun.
Day 7. Nong Khiew.
Day 8. Nong Khiew. Checked out dirt track.
Day 9. Nong Khiew – Muang Khua. Using dirt tracks.
Day 10. Muang Khua – Boun Tai. With detour to Samphanh.
Day 11. Boun Tai – Luang Namtha.
Day 12. Luang Namtha.
Day 13. Luang Namtha – Muang Long.
Day 14. Muang Long – Houei Xai. via Muang Meung.
Day 15 Houei Xai – Chiang Khong.

Me and the KLX, about to head north to Laos.
Picture717.jpg

Day 1.
After a night in Chiang Khong it was over to Laos, and the whole process went pretty well really.
I ran into 2wheels at Lao customs, and we ended up checking in to the same guest house, and meeting up later for a few sunset beers at the Thaveesinh were the beer Lao was cold, and food very tasty.

Day 2.
I meet up with 2wheels for breakfast, and after a coffee and baguette, I headed east to Pak Beng, and 2wheels pointed the big African Twin north to Luang Nantha.

Didn’t take long to work out it was going to a dry and dusty trip.
Picture727.jpg

The track and the Mekong river about10kms east of Houei Xai.
Picture724.jpg

The sun rising over a rice field, it was a prefect morning to start the trip.
Picture726.jpg

Its so simple….Bike, Bag, Map, and the road ahead.
Picture733.jpg

Great spot for a power pole. Only in Asia.
Picture735.jpg

Not sure were the other one was.
Picture737.jpg

The track down to Pak Beng has plenty of villages, and is a good easy track to start out a trip on. Takes about four to five hours if your taking it easy, and is still one of my favorite tracks.

Picture751.jpg

Picture747.jpg

Picture742.jpg

After arriving in Pak Beng, I had a few hours wait till the commencement of sunset beers by the Mekong. But the wait was well worth it.

Day 3.
Luang Prabang via Hongsa.

Check out the road from Pak Beng to Muang Ngeun,… hard to believe this was a four wheel drive track covered in lush vegetation just two years ago.
Picture754.jpg

The ferry that takes you across the Mekong about 14kms west of Pak Beng.
Picture755.jpg

Picture758.jpg

This is the road to Hongsa east of Muang Ngeun….its not much fun. Each time a car went passed the other way I would have to come to a complete stop till the dust settled.

Picture759.jpg

Picture760.jpg

Once you get to the track that turns off to Luang Prabang, the riding is magic.
Picture763.jpg

Picture761.jpg

Picture764.jpg

Nice spot here.
Picture765.jpg

Picture766.jpg

Picture767.jpg

Picture770.jpg

The track is great for for a about 65kms……
Picture777.jpg

Then like many good tracks in Laos, it turned into this, and stayed that way, all the way to Luang Prabang
Picture778.jpg

One of the last river crossings that keep cattle and dirt riders happy.
Picture779.jpg

Looking over to Luang Prabang from the ferry.
Picture780.jpg

Arrived in Luang Prabang tired and thrusty, so after a shower it was down to the river for an icy cold beer Lao.
Picture789.jpg

Great way to finished of a days riding…..sunset beers by the Mekong.
Picture783.jpg

My favorite river side restaurant is Soudaphone, icy cold beer, and very good food.

Yeh….things could be worse.
Picture799.jpg

Day 4.
Just kicked back in town, got the phone sorted out, and finished the day with more sunset beers by the Mekong.

Day 5.
The plan was to ride to Kasi on the track that runs through the jungle that starts near Muang Nan. This was to be my third attempt at this track, eighteen months ago I had tried twice, and was stopped because of major new road works both times.

Getting a snack for the ride off my favorite baguette lady in Luang Phabang.
Picture805.jpg

A small village near the start of the track.
Picture812.jpg

Picture813.jpg

Things looked promising.
Picture815.jpg

I had stopped to take the above photo, when I noticed a bike coming up from behind. The rider stopped and said hello, and it happened to be Jimoi. This was the first time we had ever meet, and it happened to be in the middle of no were.

Picture816.jpg

We rode off together, but were soon stopped by what Jim referred to as “the curse of the Komatsu”. Yes foiled again. Jim decided he’d wait a bit and see if it was going to be cleared. I decided to head back to Luang Prabang, riding the scenic route along the river.

Curse of the Komatsu.
Picture821.jpg

Lunch on the trail.
Picture825.jpg

My atempt at using the timer on the camera for the first time.
Picture827.jpg

It was a good ride back, great track with plenty of villages, and every now and then following the river.
Picture829.jpg

Picture830.jpg

Picture832.jpg

Stopping for a drink in these little villages is always a laugh.
Picture838.jpg

Picture842.jpg

Picture844.jpg

Picture845.jpg

Picture847.jpg

Picture851.jpg

Picture853.jpg

The last river crossing before Luang Prabang, and quiet spot to cool off.
Picture854.jpg

Made it back to Luang Prabang and checked into Oudom Suk guest house….again. Then it was down to the river to watch the sunset….with a beer or two of course.

Day 6.
I had planned to give the Kasi track another shot, but before taking off I rang Jimoi to see if he had got through. He said he gave up waiting for the track to be cleared as well, and that he had spoken to a lao guy who said that there was five teams working along the 80km track. So even if you did get passed the first one, there was a good chance you wouldn’t get passed one of the others.

So I decided to simply head north to Nong Khiew instead, taking the track that goes via Sam Soun.

Picture861.jpg

Picture857.jpg

Picture862.jpg

This is heavy work and the kids work pretty hard…but I do think the girl in the red could have squeezed a few more sticks in her basket.
Picture863.jpg

Nice spot for a drink and laugh with the locals.
Picture865.jpg

Carrying gravel and sand, these kids are tough little guys and girls.
Picture868.jpg

Picture870.jpg

I like this shot.
Picture873.jpg

Picture879.jpg

Picture880.jpg

Picture881.jpg

Picture883.jpg

Picture884.jpg

Picture888.jpg

Picture892.jpg

Picture893.jpg

The track comes to an end at Sam Soun, and from there I headed west along hwy 1C to Nong Khiew.

A quick drink from this little market.
Picture894.jpg

And a splash of fuel to make sure Id make it all the way.
Picture896.jpg

HWY 1C, with the mountains of Nong Khiew in the distance were sunset beers by the Nam Oi would no doubt be on the cards.
Picture897.jpg

Day 7.
Nong Khiew.
Great place to do nothing but sit outside on the bungalow veranda, and watch the river go by.
Picture908.jpg

Picture912.jpg

The view from my veranda at the Seng Dao guesthouse, 70,000kip per night.
Picture914.jpg

Some work being done on the bridge.
Picture916.jpg

Picture917.jpg

Day 8.
Nong Khiew.
I took off on the KLX and I spent a few hours looking for a track that I wanted to find on my first Laos trip two years. I wanted to ride from Nong Khiew to Muang Khua on dirt tracks.

Day 9.
Nong Khiew – Muang Khua.

After some coffee and a banana pancake at the CT restaurant, it was off try out the tracks I had looked at the day before, which with any luck would get me to Muang Khua.

Picture915.jpg

Picture920.jpg

Picture921.jpg

Picture922.jpg

I kept coming to intersections like this one, were there was no signs, and the traffic wear was the same in each direction. So when all else fails, it was time to put faith in,..”ennie, minnie, mynee, moe.”

Picture925.jpg

I finally come to a small village and worked out I was “probably” heading in the right direction.

Picture927.jpg

Picture928.jpg

Picture929.jpg

Picture931.jpg

Now I know how the pandas at Chiang Mai zoo feel.
Picture934.jpg

Picture935.jpg

Picture936.jpg

Picture937.jpg

Picture939.jpg

Picture942.jpg

Picture943.jpg

Great shot of the mirror.
Picture947.jpg

With a lot of help from ennie, minnie, myine, and moe. I stumbled upon Muang Khua.

Theres a new bridge being built over the Nam Phak at the back of the Muang Khua market.
Picture948.jpg

The old bridge looking a little worse from wear.
Picture951.jpg

Picture953.jpg
Picture954.jpg

And theres also a new bridge that when finished will cross the Nam Oi 1km south of town.
Picture956.jpg

And Ill be there the day it opens, with a bottle of champagne……anyone that’s had to deal with the guy that runs this ferry will know why.
Picture959.jpg

Picture958.jpg

Picture960.jpg

Day 10.
Muang Khua – Boun Tai… With a detour to Samphanh.

I came across these lovely ladies on hwy 1B.
Picture964.jpg

They all had a good laugh looking at the view finder.
Picture968.jpg

There are many villages with different ethic back grounds that live on and around hwy 1B, all with colorful dresses.
Picture969.jpg

I always wondered about Samphanh,… so thought Id better go check it out.
Well I had nothing better to do.

It was slow going at first due the fog.
Picture974.jpg

Billy cart racer.
Picture979.jpg

Picture981.jpg

Picture986.jpg

Arrived at the Nam Oi, and it works out Samphanh is on the other side of the river.
Picture989.jpg

I left my bike on the west side and took a little boat which was the only transport across.
Picture993.jpg

Picture995.jpg

Samphanh is very small town, and the locals all had the “What the” look on there faces seeing me walking around town in rider gear.

On way back to the main hwy the fog had lifted, and the sky was blue.
Picture997.jpg

Picture998.jpg

I arrived in Boun Tai, and booked into the Phoxai Guest house.
Picture1001.jpg
Picture1002.jpg

It was good value for 30,000kip. And what a view from the private balcony.

Picture1006.jpg
Picture1003.jpg

Day 11.
Boun Tai – Luang Namtha.

The track through to Na Tong was as rough as Ive ever seen it, I kept checking my bag to make sure it hadn’t fallen of the back, while thinking Ive gotta get a puncture soon.

Then I come across these two. They had stopped because a few saucepan lids had come a drift.
Picture1014.jpg

It shows you don’t need some exotic bike with all the razzmatazz to get from A to B in Laos.
Picture1015.jpg

Picture1016.jpg

Picture1018.jpg

Picture1019.jpg

Picture1021.jpg

Picture1022.jpg

The track finished, and it was on to hwy13…..what a complete mess.
Picture1023.jpg

Dinner at the Manychan in Luang Namtha. Good food, cold beer, but the worst service of any restaurant Ive ever been in. Everyone except the cook should be sacked.
Picture1025.jpg

Day 12.
Luang Namtha.
Just took easy with a ride around the town.

Day 13.
Luang Namtha – Muang Long.

Check out dusty me and my new riding top…..Ill definitely need to soak over night before washing.
Picture1028.jpg

Track to Muang Long was in very good condition apart from the dust.
I also checked out a few smaller tracks on the way to fill in the day.
Picture1034.jpg

The room the lady gave me in Muang Long was bigger enough to play cricket in, and had two double beds. Bit of a waste really, since I don’t play cricket.
Picture1038.jpg

There was great little restaurant in the middle of a rice field which had good food, and coldish beer.
Picture1040.jpg

Picture1042.jpg

Day 14.

Muang Long – Houei Xai. via Muang Meung. (the back way)
This is a great way to get to Houei Xai, it is one of the best tracks I’ve ridden in Laos.
Picture1043.jpg

Picture1044.jpg

Picture1045.jpg

At last…Mud beautiful mud. After two weeks riding in the dust, it was treat riding through here.
Picture1047.jpg

Picture1049.jpg

Picture1051.jpg

Picture1052.jpg

Picture1054.jpg

I got to Houei Xai early enough to cross back to Thailand that day. But I’m starting like the town, so decided to stay another night there.

Day 15.
Houei Xai – Chiang Khong.

The ramp down to the ferry, packed with trucks waiting to cross.
Picture1056.jpg

Total kilometers was 2550, starting and finishing in Chiang Mai, which isn’t a great deal for around 18 days away. But there was plenty of take it easy days I suppose.
And why rush, you end up seeing nothing, and you don’t get a good feel for the place either.

Maybe a few too many shots of tracks, but maybe they will help anyone planning a trip to Laos.

Moto-Rex

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
Another excellent report Rex. Sitting here at home the pictures of the good tracks and people make me want to head over the border again. The dust, traffic and roadwork, NOT! You have some nice track pictures that show it can all be worth while.
Muang Long – Houei Xai. via Muang Meung. (the back way)
This is a great way to get to Houei Xai, it is one of the best tracks I’ve ridden in Laos.
I would like to try this one, haven't done it before. :clap:

Not too many track photos :thumbup: . Too many food pictures. :thumbdown: Why is everyone doing that now? :crazy:

Hope to pick your brain next I see you. :D

Rhodie

Mar 5, 2006
Good one Rex. :clap:
Appreciate the interesting off-piste alternatives there Matey.
And nice to see Jimoi out on the trails.

Rod Page

Subscribed
Jan 7, 2010
Good stuff Rex; enjoy a Beer Dark myself.
The headlights - covered??????
Cheers mate

Aug 27, 2007
Excellent story and great pics Rex....gives me real itchy feet .
IMHO the food pics are helpful to newby Laos riders .I notice a Dandenong MCC sticker near your headlight...I am an ex Pakenham Upper kid. Cheers Noel

Jul 25, 2010
Terrific Rex. I love to see the daily life along the way and these pix capture a lot of that. Keep em coming mate. :thumbup:

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Moto-Rex wrote:
This is the road to Hongsa east of Muang Ngeun….its not much fun. Each time a car went passed the other way I would have to come to a complete stop till the dust settled.

Picture759.jpg

Picture760.jpg

Hhmh, at first glance looks like a very familiar piece of road

130314055-M.jpg

130314047-M.jpg

from 2007
finally-did-it-t2201.html

I feel good that it was giving you a hard time on a light KLX250, as I certainly did not enjoy it for one very crucial moment. :lol:

pee

Mar 10, 2006
Rex wrote:
"Maybe a few too many shots of tracks"
Not at all! Things change so fast in Lao your pics are very relevant to keep us updated.
Not to mention the tracks I have not ridden yet such as "Muang Long – Houei Xai. via Muang Meung. (the back way)". That's sounds real nice and a great way to avoid the now boring highway 3.
Thanks for the try and the inspiration.

Moreover "not too many shots of tracks" because your post balances them with pics of people, village life, landscape, etc...

Not quite familiar with "ennie, minnie, myine, and moe" technology, though... Is this a kind of "GPS Inside" pirated from Intel the Lao way? Seems to work fine you should copyright it!

SilverHawk wrote
Too many food pictures. :thumbdown: Why is everyone doing that now? :crazy:
Well... As long it's not Mac Do, keep them coming... However in all fairness why did you censor the karaoke pics! Do we need Wikileaks to get the full comprehensive report! :wink:
Your post demonstrates the best way to travel Lao away from the highway mess. Put me down the subscription list please.
Thanks again... You are on a good vibe...
GoodVibes.jpg

Keep grooving
Cheers

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
pee wrote:

SilverHawk wrote
Too many food pictures. :thumbdown: Why is everyone doing that now? :crazy:
Well... As long it's not Mac Do, keep them coming...
Keep grooving
Cheers
Ha Ha,,,,,,,,,,,,Yes, Eric, you caught me sneaking in to satisfy one of my unhealthy cravings. I should have taken a photo of my Big Mac so "the newbies" know what (unhealthy) food look likes. Eric, we need to get together again for one of your vegetarian lunch place recommendations. Quite good. :thumbup:

Auke

Nov 10, 2003
Moto-Rex wrote:
Things looked promising.
Picture815.jpg

I had stopped to take the above photo, when I noticed a bike coming up from behind. The rider stopped and said hello, and it happened to be Jimoi. This was the first time we had ever meet, and it happened to be in the middle of no were.

Picture816.jpg

We rode off together, but were soon stopped by what Jim referred to as “the curse of the Komatsu”. Yes foiled again. Jim decided he’d wait a bit and see if it was going to be cleared. I decided to head back to Luang Prabang, riding the scenic route along the river.
Picture821.jpg

Moto-Rex
Well, if someone wants to ride this track you should not wait to long. For those who are not familiar with this road, this is how it looks on the Laos GPS map. The new road will be about 70 km long and will shorten the road and travel time to Luang Prabang considerable with the distance between Kasy to Luang Prabang about 135 km along the new road versus 175 km along road 13 via Phoukhoun.
KasytoNane.jpg

On the Kasy side the first 25 km is getting close to be ready and the first part has been asphalted.

GEDC0165C.jpg

However, they have their work cut out for them as they have to cross a mountain range with peaks over 2000 meter and they expect that the road will be ready sometime in 2013.

Busy carving the road out in the mountains
GEDC0159C.jpg

Jun 21, 2006
awesome report rexy, this confirms my suspicions that it was you on the klx250 that i saw leaving huay xai on the 28th november, i would have stopped to say hi but i was on a mad rush to catch up some other riders.
your trip looks a belter with some wicked snaps aswell.
how long did the nong kieow to muang khua stretch take by the way?
cheers
luke.

helbob

Nov 9, 2007
Thanks for the nice pics that shows the people and their life,very good. :clap: :clap: :clap:
I hope i can go laos too in the next time.

May 30, 2010
Nice pic's Rex, good to see you in Luang Namtha, maybe we can check out that sweet smelling Karaoke again some other time. You was right about the slippery concrete water crossing by the way :angel:

Bob

pee

Mar 10, 2006
SilverHawk wrote:
Ha Ha,,,,,,,,,,,,Yes, Eric, you caught me sneaking in to satisfy one of my unhealthy cravings. I should have taken a photo of my Big Mac so "the newbies" know what (unhealthy) food look likes. Eric, we need to get together again for one of your vegetarian lunch place recommendations. Quite good.
Good idea... Happy to tilt your gastronomic karma the right way after all these sins!

Vegetarian lunch places options:
-Taste From Heaven
Downtown location (not far from Mac Do Thapae)
237-239 Thapae Road
http://www.taste4heaven.com

-Khun Churn
Nimanhaemin soi 17. Buffet style. Pleasant gardennish setting

-Again Suan Dok.
Actually haven't been there for a while. Despite the excellent food my partner seems to be put off by a ghost issue -Wat Suan Dok being one of the most active corpses recycling center in the North.

Monday, Tuesday... Which day is convenient for you?
Is Justin around and the honorable author of this trip report (so we could extract more details and the juicy stuff from you, Khun Rex)?
Till then, Bon Appetit:
http://bionicburger.com/
Cheers

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Moto-Rex wrote:
Picture934.jpg

Picture964.jpg

Moto-Rex
The genuine beauty of Laos - the people, & why so many guys keep going back to ride these remote areas. Fantastic genuine down to earth sincere people. :thumbup:

This shot is an absolute winner
Moto-Rex wrote:
Picture935.jpg

Moto-Rex
The smile on the little guys face + the strain of carrying that heavy load! An incredible snap :clap:

Real adventure riders & just another day at the office.
Moto-Rex wrote:
Picture1014.jpg

Moto-Rex
I wonder how they'd go on a big KTM or BMW adventure bike?

Arh the FAST changing scene in Laos.
Moto-Rex wrote:
Picture956.jpg

Moto-Rex
I've seen more changes in Laos in 5 years than 15 years in Thailand. Unbelievable. So if you've got a chance, GO & RIDE LAOS as soon as possible.

Moto-Rex an amazing trip & report. I bet this trip & its memories will stay with you for many years to come. And to think you hesitated to just do the Samoeng loop when you first came here a few years ago. How life changes when you're having a good stress free time. :thumbup:

Nov 3, 2009
Rex,
absolutely inspirational Mate - the photos and the narrative - will look forward to a similar trip on my return in 6 weeks

Many Thanks

jimoi

Nov 17, 2004
Nice post Rex -

Just to clarify Rex's photo of the digging on the road, it looks passable in some manner but the damn digger up above kept chucking trees and rocks down. On the left side of the photo frame you can't see that it was a 40 degree angle down slope for about 600 meters with no vegetation to slow your descent.

I'd much rather meet other riders in places like that - better there than the keyboard.

Moto-Rex

Subscribed
Jan 5, 2008
SilverhawkUSA;262443 wrote:

Hope to pick your brain next I see you. :D
Hi SilverhawkUSA, Im in oz for a whil but would be good to catch up when I return.

Noel Akers;262462 wrote: Excellent story and great pics Rex....gives me real itchy feet .
IMHO the food pics are helpful to newby Laos riders .I notice a Dandenong MCC sticker near your headlight...I am an ex Pakenham Upper kid. Cheers Noel
Small world, many DMCC members live in, around Pakenham, in fact DMCC's had a MX track in Beaconsfield about 50 years ago, before moving to Wonthaggi.

Cheers Moto-Rex

Moto-Rex

Subscribed
Jan 5, 2008
pee;262505 wrote: Well... As long it's not Mac Do, keep them coming... However in all fairness why did you censor the karaoke pics! Do we need Wikileaks to get the full comprehensive report! :wink:
Your post demonstrates the best way to travel Lao away from the highway mess. Put me down the subscription list please.
Thanks again... You are on a good vibe...
Thanks for your kind words Pee, I hope you and Silverhawk meet up for that meatless meal.
Maybe the three of us should head to laos for a few days when I return from oz.
Sorry no pix of the karaoke,..it was to dark even for the flash in there.

Moto-Rex

Moto-Rex

Subscribed
Jan 5, 2008
clevertrevor;262538 wrote: Nice pic's Rex, good to see you in Luang Namtha, maybe we can check out that sweet smelling Karaoke again some other time. You was right about the slippery concrete water crossing by the way :angel:

Bob
Gday Bob.
It was good to meet you blokes in Luang Namtha that night. That Kookie Karaoke sure was a laugh.
Good to hear you took that track to Boun Tai, its a great ride that for sure.
Ill give you a call when Im in Chiang Rai next, and we can meet up for a beer.

Moto-Rex

King of Jars

Subscribed
Feb 27, 2008
Nong Khai
Went down this road 10 days ago with my 4x4 - the first 24kms from Meuang Nan/Xayabouly towards Kasi are under full construction, rocket blasting etc. - but passable. After that its smooth sailing all the way, tarmac, asphalted partly. Scenery breathtaking and hitting 1800 metres above sea level. Drive it before the heavy boys are at it with their 10+ wheelers. Road 4 (Meuang Nan) to 13N being potholed and no endeavours visible to get that stretch fixed though.