My private little workshop

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
Having 4 bikes and a car usually means also a never ending need for some repairs to be done.
With this post I want to give you some help (maybe) while you're planning to do this yourself, it's not perfect but small 'n' nice.......
It started when I moved up north, I had the second kitchen converted into a nice little workshop for my private hobby. Had to get a 1.5 double door and do a small ramp to be able to haul in the bikes under their own power. As you can see, easy access, just needs some shuffling the various bikes around; even the biggie fits in with enough room on all sides to still be able to work on them comfortably.
FR4bikessm.jpg

I like everything tidy and clean, so here's a view into the room:
DSC01433.jpg

Some areas for storage (not all):
DSC01432.jpg

racks on the wall, a charger and some small consumables like bulbs, hoses, sparkplugs, bearings, sealrings, petrolfilters,.....
DSC01423.jpg

Workbench with rack and individual boxes for small spares by bike, under the bench some containers for old oil, wooden blocks for stabilising any heavy engine
DSC01424.jpg

Tool box with high quality gear, not chinese crap
DSC01425.jpg

wrench-set with all I need; all metric of course
DSC01426.jpg

2 (TWO) TORQUE WRENCHES, somthing that some workshops don't even know exist, clutch-basket holder, valve spanner.....
DSC01427.jpg

Powertools, of course also welding, caliper,.........
DSC01428.jpg

and then of course all the fluids essential for regular maintenance but not all
from left to right: Sonax MoS2 spray (prefer that one much more than the WD)
Wuerth lubricant for back of brakepads and all other small areas that need grease that can resist any water or cleaning fluid, but NOT bearrings.....
Sonax chain lube, Veloil cooling liquid, Johnson wax, Wenol metal polish creme and silicone oil for tyres and other PVC/rubber parts
DSC01421.jpg

As oils and essential fluids I use as follows:
from left to right, Motul synthetic 10W40 for the FJR, for the older bikes Castrol mineral 20W40, Motul 10W forkoil and ATE - DOT4 brakefluid, I also have a bottle of DOT3 same brand.
DSC01420.jpg

Of course there are much more goodies in there as oilfilters for all bikes, most from MUSSEN, EBC brakepads from Craig-EBC, electrical tools and various connectors, fuses, and loads of old spareparts that easily go bust, especially for the SRX6 and the DR650. A small hydraulic lift, 2 paddock stands, gas and oxygen torch, and very important a place to wash my filthy fingers........
I posted this as I now have finished all 4 bikes, all repairs, revamps, refittings done; now they all run well and I hope that stays that way.
Now it's time for some rides me thinks........ :mrgreen:
Regards, Franz

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
Hi Franz

having visited your "Little" work shop i can say it's clean and even my not so clean work areas is like after nukkelar device is been blow in there that is suite for me, but what is clean and organized is indivitual

for me even i leave someting like it's just been dropped in there and IF some one goes and move it to different location,,i'll get nuts as i cant find it any more, even moved by in some cases incehes,,,but like said it's all indivitual and i would love to keep my work area clean but im just not that kind of person..

Love you work franz and see you soon

and no photo from my work area,,,that is not suitable even this page :lol-sign:

Oct 3, 2010
Hi Franz,
I am amazed with your workshop I can even sleep in it with such level of cleanliness. Love it.

cdrw

Oct 6, 2006
Phenomenal job, Franz!
You workplace would be the envy of any shop in Thailand; it seem more like a manufacturer's environmental 'clean room'.
Now, all you need is a shop sign over the door! :smile1:

However, your nifty new shop, which now occupies the second kitchen, begs the question....
...will the next party be without food??? :lol-sign:

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
Jay, no this room is my drinks storage during party times :lol: .
Now the workshop will be less frequented which means only one thing, a lot of riding..... :smile1:
And more, lookout for a legal plated SR400/500 as the future occupant....... :mrgreen:
Cheers, Franz

Dec 27, 2007
I can honestly say that it's Franz's workroom that inspired me to try to get my tools organized and make a proper workspace. I hope some day when I grow up I can be half as kitted as Franz! :happy5:
061910KawaBoy1SSR.jpg

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
It's a nice beginning Tony, you're more advanced already, you also have an apprentice in your shop :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ...cheers, Franz

Nov 11, 2006
Mine is a mess but I have all the same equipment as Franz. I'm now inspired to have a big clean up and now that I finally have a Mae Bahn looks like she has a big job to do to keep her busy.

Dec 27, 2007
rmbike wrote: phfft! :thumbdown:

No beer fridge and no sexy girl calendar!

:mrgreen:
:lol-sign:
Is this better?
0822MirBeerSm.jpg

I'll make sure I move the Leo Girls Calendar to a more conspicuous spot as well :happy5:
Thailand_Leo_Body_Paint_Calendar_2010_0.jpg

Ride On!
Tony
Thailand_Leo_Body_Paint_Calendar_2010_11.jpg

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
TonyBKK wrote: [quote quote=rmbike]phfft! :thumbdown:

No beer fridge and no sexy girl calendar!

:mrgreen:
:lol-sign:
Is this better?
0822MirBeerSm.jpg

I'll make sure I move the Leo Girls Calendar to a more conspicuous spot as well :happy5:
Thailand_Leo_Body_Paint_Calendar_2010_0.jpg

Ride On!
Tony
Thailand_Leo_Body_Paint_Calendar_2010_11.jpg

:take-that: :take-that: :take-that: :take-that: :take-that: :take-that:

Tony

That's cool but that's your daily consumpition Fridge only??

Dec 27, 2007
rmbike wrote: :smile1: :smile1: :smile1:

not sure the service staff is old enough to serve beer

:happy2:
Oh yeah? YOU try telling him that! :lol-sign:
0608Mir4Sm.jpg

Ride On!
Tony :happy5:

Dec 27, 2007
rmbike wrote: :wtf: :crazy:

spose hes going to get on that bike next to him aswell!!!

:crazy: :wtf:
Alas he outgrew that bike and now has much more expensive tastes... :crazy:
100410MirS1000RRaSm.jpg

Ride On! :happy5:

CeiDuc

Dec 15, 2009
TonyBKK wrote: [quote quote=rmbike]:wtf: :crazy:

100410MirS1000RRaSm.jpg

Consider the brainwashing a success then Tony. My two year old daughter wants to clamber all over my bike. :mrgreen:

Dec 27, 2007
CeiDuc wrote: [quote quote=TonyBKK][quote quote=rmbike]:wtf: :crazy:

100410MirS1000RRaSm.jpg

Consider the brainwashing a success then Tony. My two year old daughter wants to clamber all over my bike. :mrgreen:
lolz! :lol-sign:
What is it about kids and bikes?
110710VersysGasStopSSR.jpg

Mine just can't get enough :mrgreen:

CeiDuc

Dec 15, 2009
My little one is waiting for papa to get home from working overseas. One more week and will back in the action.

To get back on thread. Franz you have a nice tidy workshop and I salute you sir. I'm going to pull the trigger and build a double bay garage with workshop, toilet and security system. All cement, steel trusses with a lift beam over both bays. It will be a work in progress but I know exactly how I want the layout. I like working on my bikes and I also want the SUV under wraps and not in open parking under our main room in the family home. It's also a good excuse for buddies to come by for a chat, relax, talk some bs and have a coffee or beer. In all likely it will be a suedo retreat, but I will be working it :thumbup:

Cheers, Garry

Dec 27, 2007
CeiDuc wrote: My little one is waiting for papa to get home from working overseas. One more week and will back in the action.

To get back on thread. Franz you have a nice tidy workshop and I salute you sir. I'm going to pull the trigger and build a double bay garage with workshop, toilet and security system. All cement, steel trusses with a lift beam over both bays. It will be a work in progress but I know exactly how I want the layout. I like working on my bikes and I also want the SUV under wraps and not in open parking under our main room in the family home. It's also a good excuse for buddies to come by for a chat, relax, talk some bs and have a coffee or beer. In all likely it will be a suedo retreat, but I will be working it :thumbup:

Cheers, Garry
Wow Garry! Sounds nice! Let us know when you'll throw the grand opening party and we'll come by! T :happy5:

CeiDuc

Dec 15, 2009
TonyBKK wrote: [quote quote=CeiDuc]My little one is waiting for papa to get home from working overseas. One more week and will back in the action.

Cheers, Garry
Wow Garry! Sounds nice! Let us know when you'll throw the grand opening party and we'll come by! T :happy5:
Will do Tony,
Now I just have to convince the wife that I want to move the chook shed (fact!!). :D

May 25, 2006
HuaHin
Hi Friends,

Happy to see that I am not the only one to be meticulous for my workshop.

On top of the fridge -very important- , the fan, an easy light, an air compressor (with all acessories) and a complete set of tools (from metrics to US), I equiped it with a proper library (with paper copies of users & repair manuals), an Internet connected laptop computer (an old Compaq one fits perfectly), a Rapid Bike electronic tuning bank with the appropriate harness for Ducati and BMW.

For the time being I miss a lift table to be able to work standing properly as it more and more difficult for me to bent.

I'll post some pictures for X'Mas when I''ll return.

Dec 27, 2007
CeiDuc wrote: [quote quote=TonyBKK][quote quote=CeiDuc]My little one is waiting for papa to get home from working overseas. One more week and will back in the action.

Cheers, Garry
Will do Tony,
Now I just have to convince the wife that I want to move the chook shed (fact!!). :D
"chook shed"??? :?: If I had to guess I'd say that's where you make your moonshine? :lol-sign:

CeiDuc

Dec 15, 2009
TonyBKK wrote: [quote quote=CeiDuc][quote quote=TonyBKK]
Will do Tony,
"chook shed"??? :?: If I had to guess I'd say that's where you make your moonshine? :lol-sign:
LMAO... the Aussy's generally call chickens chooks, hence the term chook shed for where they roost and lay their eggs :mrgreen: