News from the Dan Sai/Phrae/Nan area

Jan 22, 2005
So just spent two weeks from our favorite starting point in Dan Sai, up to the Mekhong border at Huay Xai/Huai Sai, and back through the most amazing mountains (maybe) in Thailand. Pal and I like to work our CRF Hondas on roads that nobody uses. Keep it quiet and ride slow and respectful, while checking out what's going on. So, nobody on the small roads where we went. Best was 1333 and the park loop 1328. Been on many loops around here and sad to say that many are disappearing into major roadways. The route into Bo Kluea used to be quaint. Now it's a major 8-lane superhighway on entry to the popular tourist spot. Even my favorite dirt stretch 1022 through awesome mountain vistas of the Queen's Dam is now under construction! There is nobody on that road, yet it is being widened and paved for some reason. Many others as well, but that can't be stopped. You just have to get out there NOW to see how amazing some parts of Thailand still are! Can recommend the Loei Pan Mile Resort in Dan Sai. Check out the Phi Ta Khon festival like no other in Thailand. Also a great jumping-off point for great loops is the Sai Nan Resort in Na Noi. Very motorcycle friendly.

Jan 22, 2005
1328 is the circle road interior to the Phu Suan Sai National Park near Muang Pheir. It's the furthest south Thailand/Laos land border on that side of Thailand. Beautiful country. We weren't going for the steepest, but instead the most severely twisted, best small paved, and loneliest roads. They just happen to have some steep parts. 1333 was new for me. Don't know how I didn't get on that before. From 1225, ride toward Bo Kluea Tai on 1257 and turn off onto 1333. Guaranteed smiles. Perfect paved bike path through really pretty scenery without any traffic. Didn't do any "challenging" roads, and stayed off dirt for the most part.

Dodraugen

Subscribed
Aug 19, 2012
Lampang
Its here David:

I have ridden it myself. Its only 30-35 kms, less than an hour ride. Very scenic and winding road indeed. I had to pay the national park fee which I think was 200 baht though…
9C6A9A8A-C424-4EF3-9C2D-FF4A9FFAE98F.png
716C89A3-5294-473A-A18D-1DB6D66389B9.png