Video Of Mc Trip Bkk- Sangkhlaburi- Bkk Via Si Sawat Loop. The Long Way Around.

Fritzltouw

Ol'Timer
Jun 1, 2018
Bangkok
Hi Everyone,

Not sure if this is the right place to post but I thought I'd share my video from my Sangkhlaburi trip from earlier this year just after the lockdown was eased. Great trip 3 days but very very hot and at times undoable in the scorching heat of K'buri in June. It was filmed with a incredible pos action camera that overheated every 15 minutes and I returned it soon after. I bought a Hero 8? and I'm using that now. Much better.

Bike: RE Himalayan 2018
Rider: me
Fun: yes
Hot: yes
Will do again?: yes

Reactions: DavidFL

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
That looks like a great trip, despite the heat.
Well done.

That Prasat Muang Sing looks interesting.
I dug out this info of the web

Mueang Sing (Thai: เมืองสิงห์, pronounced [mɯ̄a̯ŋ sǐŋ]) is a historical park in Sai Yok District, Kanchanaburi Province, Thailand. It protects the remains of two Khmer temples dating to the 13th and 14th centuries. It was declared a historical park in 1987.

Built in the Bayon-style, the temples date to the Khmer kingdom in the reign of King Jayavarman VII (1180 to 1219). A stone inscription of Prince Vira Kumara praising his father, 23 cities are named. One of these cities was named Srichaiya Singhapura, which some scholars identify with Mueang Sing.

The history of the site goes back to the period between 857 and 1157, a period when the Khmer Kingdom was flourishing. Records show that the town was abandoned until the reign of King Rama I.[1] The name Mueang Sing first showed in the chronicles of the reign of King Rama I (1782-1809), when it was a fortified town protecting the town Kanchanaburi. In the reform of provincial administration at the end of the 19th century its status was reduced from Mueang to Tambon (commune).

Four monuments are located inside the area of 736,000 m² enclosed by a laterite wall. The south wall winds along the Khwae Noi river course, while the other three sides are quadratic. The main monument is in the center of the area. Northwest of this are the foundations of a second temple building. The other two monuments are of much smaller scale.
Source: Mueang Sing Historical Park - Wikipedia

Prasat Muang Singh: Western most Khmer temple in Thailand
Date: 12th - 14th century

Muang Singh historical park marked the Western border of the Khmer in Thailand. At the height of its power, the vast Khmer empire stretched out all the way West to deep into present day Kanchanaburi province in the Western part of Thailand.

Besides being a temple dedicated to the Hindu God Shiva, Prasat Muang Singh and surrounding town most likely served as a military stronghold, to defend the Khmer empire from attacks from the West.

Muang Singh, meaning “Lion city”, is completely surrounded by a laterite wall. The Khwae Noi river runs along the South end of the complex.

The main temple that stands in the center of the complex was built between the 12th and 14th century in Bayon style, named after the Bayon temple in Angkor that was built around the same time.
Structures at Muang Singh historical park

In Khmer temple architecture, the central prang (Khmer style tower) in the inner sanctuary represents Mount Meru, the center of the universe in Hindu belief. The central prang enshrines the linga, the sacred symbol symbolizing the power of Shiva. Of another large temple, only the foundation remains. The historical park contains two other, smaller Khmer structures.

During the reign of King Rama I, the first King of the Rattanakosin era at the end of the 18th century, Muang Singh acted as a stronghold to protect the Kingdom from invasion from the West.

In 1974 the Thai Fine Arts Department started renovation of Muang Singh, that was mostly covered by soil and overgrown by vegetation by then. After completion of the renovation in 1987, Prasat Muang Singh was made into a national historical park.

Although Muang Singh is not nearly as impressive as well preserved as other Khmer temples like Phimai or Phanom Rung, it is well worth a visit. The historical park is set in a very attractive, relaxed setting with forests and the Khwae Noi river running past it.

There is a small museum that exhibits several artifacts discovered at the site, including a number of Buddha images.

Ban Kao National Museum
About 8 kilometers from Prasat Muang Singh is the Ban Kao National Museum. This museum built at the site of a Neolithic burial site displays items found there, such as earthenware pots, skeletons, axes, stone tools and other thousands of years old items discovered at the site.​

Source: Muang Singh Historical Park Kanchanaburi

Fritzltouw

Ol'Timer
Jun 1, 2018
Bangkok
Thanks, yes mueang sing was definitely worthwhile a visit but it was too hot at the time to really have a good look. They let me in on local rates so that was fine but walking around in full gear at 38c was a bit too much. It's located in a really nice environment.and it's well maintained. I'll definitely go back again at one point to have a better look.

Reactions: DavidFL