2010 Christmas Ride?

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
David, repied in another post you bumped, Sunday 26th I think's perfect, Pai/Doi Ankhang I think will be very busy, something in direction of Mae Chaem avoiding Doi Inthanon or Phayao/Phrae could be an option, anything 24/25/26/27 I will be in.....Cheers, Franz

Sep 4, 2007
Up for a ride any of the days mentioned, including Christmas Day itself. Not really a place in my calendar in a Bhuddist country. Phayao, Phrae sounds great, rather avoid the 108 going south that time of year if possible.

helenk

Mar 26, 2005
Dave and I will be up in the North on the 1400 for 3 weeks from 18th December and in CM for the first week. We are up for a Christmas ride. We have good memories of our last Christmas ride with you guys in 2005. We were planning to move on from CM on 26th but we can hang aorund for another day. Hope to catch up with you for a drink in Kaffe before that.

Sep 4, 2007
SilverhawkUSA wrote: [quote quote=Hoghead]Boxing Day the 26th seems appropriate
What's a "Boxing Day"? :D 26th sounds good to me. Not Christmas Day.
Boxing Day is what UK folks call the day after Christmas. Comes from old traditions about boxed gifts given to the staff and servants. I am sure Wikipedia will be very informative if you want to know more.

Mar 11, 2008
johngooding wrote: [quote quote=SilverhawkUSA][quote quote=Hoghead]Boxing Day the 26th seems appropriate
Boxing Day is what UK folks call the day after Christmas. Comes from old traditions about boxed gifts given to the staff and servants. I am sure Wikipedia will be very informative if you want to know more.

I thought it was when the churches 'poor box' was opened, after the christmas services.. And given to the local needy ??

Sep 4, 2007
LivinLOS wrote: [quote quote=johngooding]
I thought it was when the churches 'poor box' was opened, after the christmas services.. And given to the local needy ??
The good old internet suggests the following, but I am sure distributing the churches cash boxes was also done,

What is Boxing Day?

Boxing Day is a day the higher classes gave gifts to the lower classes. Before or on December 25th people of similar class would exchange gifts to celebrate the Christmas season. Gifts were not exchanged with the lower class until the next day called Boxing Day. It is also known as St. Stephen’s Day.
Why is the holiday named Boxing Day?

The holiday is named Boxing Day because the tradition of giving gifts of cash, food, clothing and other goods to the less fortunate were placed into boxes for easier transportation. The goods were distributed based on the family needs and their services to the giver.

Read more at Suite101: Origin Of Boxing Day: History and Meaning of Boxing Day http://www.suite101.com/content/origin- ... z1713IgpAZ

Oct 17, 2006
Interesting discourse but where does leave this us with the x-mas ride?

PS= X-mas ought to be an occasion to spoil YOURSELF. Not just with another ride but a ride with a worthy target, e.g. a really beautiful, above average resort reachable on less traveled roads. That is my x-mas wish.
Pico

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
LivinLOS wrote: [quote quote=johngooding][quote quote=SilverhawkUSA]Boxing Day the 26th seems appropriate
Geez guys, I was just joking! :wtf: I know it's a basically Brit holiday the day after Christmas. I think better know here as "Tsunami Day". Now, back to the Christmas ride. :thumbup:

Ally

Dec 13, 2007
Na..!

Your all missing the point. Boxing day is when you sit in front of the 2 bar electric heater with your warm winter woolies on, feeling plump & stuffed like the turkey was the day before & 'dad' watches the boxing on the goggle box.

Ally

Sep 4, 2007
SilverhawkUSA wrote: [quote quote=johngooding][quote quote=SilverhawkUSA]Boxing Day the 26th seems appropriate

Geez guys, I was just joking! :wtf: I know it's a basically Brit holiday the day after Christmas. I think better know here as "Tsunami Day". Now, back to the Christmas ride. :thumbup:
Just trying to be helpful as I am aware that over the atlantic cousins are pretty ill informed about British History. Maybe follow any other questions you post jokingly with a rider that states, "joke does not need an answer", then will save silly people like me from making unneccessary posts.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
A proposal from me - lunch in Phayao by the lake.

1. Fast big bike riders go Chiang Mai - Lampang - Ngao - Phayao. Routes 11 & 1. Depart Chiang Mai 10AM?

2. Slower more leisurely riders go Chiang Mai - Mae Kachan - Wang NUa - Phayao. Routes 118 - 120 - 1. Depart Chiang Mai 10.45AM?

3. All return the same way Phayao - Wang Nua - Mae Kachan - Chiang Mai. Routes 1 - 120 - 118.

EX CHIANG MAI: Fast riders set off 45 -60 minutes before the slower riders.
Meet up at the PTT gas station on R1, left (west) side heading North, 500 metres North of the R120 turn off. Rendezvous time 12.15-12.30?
Ride into Phayao together, lunch by the lake & return at your own pace.

Meet up back in Cnx for Happy Hour Drinks at _______?

But please note that I do not expect to be in town - I will be in Northern Laos.

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
Thanks David, will try to put everything together till wednesday as have been busy riding this weekend......
Guys, as David is in Laos he asked me to help with organising this, will post more in the coming 3 days. Cheers, Franz

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
Guys, got some problems right now I need to solve, won't make it on the 26th either. Please fix yourself a meeting point and route as David has already done most of the planning. B.rgds, FR

Sep 4, 2007
Franz, best wishes for the festive season, I hope your problems are solved soon and you get to enjoy the holiday.

As it looks like this ride is not happening, I will mention that a few riders will be doing a low key ride around the Samoeng loop and lunching at the X-Centre, on Boxing Day 26th December. We will leave from the Riders Corner Restaurant and bar at 10.00am. The bar is on the left hand side of the moat about 500M further than the Kafe, where the road and moat turn to the left, towards Doi Suthep. Just past the new Triumph, Harley and Dirt shops.
You are welcome to join. Sorry for the short notice, but waiting to see if any response to the Payao ride and did not wish to conflict.

Sep 19, 2006
www.chiangmai-xcentre.com
Here are a Couple of Photo's from Boxing Day when the Riders called into the X-Centre. There were a few Different Groups here at the Same time so it was Packed and Long quickly improvised to provide a Table and Seating for everyone right in the Entrance! My Favorite Part of the day was when Phil Insisted on Pikey taking His KTM 990 for a Blast and when He fired it Up the Exhaust was Blowing straight on to a French Guy who was seated behind the Bike! He Nearly Jumped out of His Chair and was Less than Amused, really Upset!!! Nearly had an International Incident but John Gooding did the Diplomatic Control bit and apologized!
The Bikes.
DSC07959Small.jpg

The Table and Group seating.
DSC07960Small.jpg