Driving through the Jaesson NP on a Honda Click 125i

MonikaH

Subscribed
Oct 25, 2022
Hi,
next weekend I will take my time going slowly through the Jaesson NP, not doing a loop. I will start in Mae Rim, end in Lampang and will visit Wat Chaloem Phra Kiat. I will have at least one overnight stop.

I read a lot on the roads in the forum, esp. 1252 and 4074, but those descriptions are fairly old.

I want to visit Tham Muang On on the way and then either take 3005, 4076 and 1252 or go via 4005 and 4074. In 2015 the 4074 had a lot of water on the road and I would not be able to handle that. I need a fairly decent paved road, maybe some pieces of really good dirt road. And the road may not be too steep, because I drive an automatic scooter.

Is Rd. 3005, 4076 and 1252 doable for me? what about 4074? is it the same as in 2015 or better?

And what about the 1157 or 1035 going into Lampang - I suppose they are OK, because it is flat country?

Thanks a lot for your help,
Monika

Dodraugen

Subscribed
Aug 19, 2012
Lampang
I have ridden quite a bit in that area - although not lately. R1252 is a fantastic road, easily on my top ten list in Thailand. Paved all the way although expect a little sand and leaves/grass here and there. R1157 and R1035 are nice highways which are paved all the way.
The rest of the roads you mention are really hard to find on Google maps or Mapsme? What map are you using?
R3005 I can see on GM but the next road towards R1252 is named R4063 on GM. Is is that road you are thinking about? Its all paved - the only negative thing about that road is that it is pretty steep in sections. But I dont think it would be any problem for a scooter either (although I ride a Crf250L)

R4005 and R4074 I simply cant find on GM and not on Mapsme either? Is the roads through Mae Khampong? In thats case those are paved too, not sure about their conditions right now - better to ask locals upon arriving in Thailand I guess…

MonikaH

Subscribed
Oct 25, 2022
Hi,
thanks a lot for your answer. If R1252 is such a fantastic road, I will stick to this one and not take any risks.

R4005 is the road from Huai Kaeo direction to Mae Kampong and R4074 is the road going through Mae Kampong. I use the great and helpful Golden Triangle Map from the GT Riders :) David sent it sent to Germany, right now I am already in Thailand.

R4063 on GM seems to be my R4076. So I think, I try this one, it is only me and luggage for a week, 75 - 80 kg.

Reactions: mikerust

Dodraugen

Subscribed
Aug 19, 2012
Lampang
I tried once to ride through from Muang Pan to Mae Kampong - as it should be possible according to the map. But I somehow lost track so I gave up. I didnt really try that hard though…

Anyhow - good luck with your trip!

mikerust

Subscribed
Nov 5, 2003
Weird I just looked on Google maps and it shows "blue" as in the camera bike/car has been all the way. Road 4025 unless you were trying another way.
When my Goat-Tracker Wave is running well and not overheating I will venture south for a look. I'm not brave enough to take anything bigger if it is likely to get dropped.

Dodraugen

Subscribed
Aug 19, 2012
Lampang
55555 - now you gave me ideas.
Im on my way to Thailand now and as soon as possible I will try that road again - Muang Pan to Mae Kampot to Chiang Mai….
Tripreport will be posted as well…

Reactions: DavidFL

Dodraugen

Subscribed
Aug 19, 2012
Lampang
Ok - Monika may already have had her ride from Chiang Mai to Lampang through Mae Kampong-Chae Son NP etc - but at least I got to check out the road from Muang Pan to Mae Kampong.

It turned out that I took the wrong turn last time I had a go there. After turning left at the junction at the end of R1157 I passed through Muang Pan, the Muang Pan school, the local hospital and the local police station and rode a couple of kms on. Then the road splits up and last time I turned left - but that road doesnt go on very far. The correct is to turn right and ride on a couple of more kms. Then there are another two junctions where one have to turn left both places. Then you are on the right way….

The road was quite adventorous and not for the faint hearted. It was very steep and hairpin turn after turn. A few watercrossings but only an inch or two of water of today. I belive it would be more in the rainy season. Also I have to note that the road must be in little use as it was a bit green of moss and algea here and there…..

Also I entered Chae Son NP at one stage - but never saw any staff and didnt have to pay any entrance ticket.

IMG_6435.png

Turned left at the end of R1157 and on to R4025

IMG_6434.png

One can also ride the grey route

IMG_6433.png

Wider perspective of where this road is…
IMG_6423.jpeg

A good bit into the ride the road looks like this…

IMG_6430.jpeg

A few water crossings, nothing to worry about at this time of year.

IMG_6424.jpeg

I entered Chae Son at one stage…

IMG_6425.jpeg

View point along the road….

IMG_6427.jpeg

A lot of these beautiful christmas flowers along the ride.

IMG_6429.jpeg

Upon getting closer to Mae Kampong the road got better and suddenly it was heaps of people and traffic, almost mayhem it was….

A great day out riding it was…

Attachments

• IMG_6433.png
    IMG_6433.png
    269.3 KB · Views: 33
Reactions: Ejeas and Wayne66

MonikaH

Subscribed
Oct 25, 2022
Just to complete the story. In the end I did not go via Mae Kampong, but took the R1252 which was perfect for me and really fun :)

I tried the road to Mae Kampong from this side and rode some kilometers. I was really glad I did not use this road to cross the mountains - it was really small, steep, very lonely, a long snake crossed - not really a road I want to do alone ;-)

Reactions: Dodraugen

Ejeas

Nov 29, 2022
usa
www.ejeasmall.com
3005, 4076, and 1252: This route generally offers paved roads with some sections of good dirt roads. These roads are considered passable for most vehicles, including scooters. However, conditions can vary, so it might be worth checking with local sources or recent travelers for any updates since my information might be outdated.

4005 and 4074: The condition of 4074 might have improved since 2015, but if there were issues with water on the road back then, it's wise to gather recent information or consider the alternate route.