That notorious Rin Luang / Arunothai checkpoint

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Finally after 6 years, the Thai army has been ruled to pay out for the young Lahu activist shot at the Rin Luang Checkpoint.

The report

Army ordered to compensate family of slain Lahu human rights activist.

The Supreme Court has ordered the Army to pay two million baht in compensation to the family of an ethnic Lahu human rights activist, who was shot dead by troops at a checkpoint in Chiang Dao district of Chiang Mai in 2017, according to the Cross Cultural Foundation website today.

The Supreme Court’s decision reverses that of the Appeals Court, which had found the Army not responsible for compensating the victim’s family, on the grounds that the troops were merely defending themselves when they shot at Chaiyaphum Pasae.

The army claimed that on March 17, 2017, Chaiyaphum resisted the troops and tried to assault them, prompting the troops to open fire with automatic weapons in self-defense.

The Supreme Court ordered the Thai army to pay the compensation, which includes 120,000 baht funeral costs, 50,000 baht in lawyer’s fees and 1.9 million baht in compensation, but dismissed the claim for psychological rehabilitation, claiming that only the victim is entitled to such.

The checkpoint Location: 19°41'00.4"N 98°57'33.8"E · MXM5+9MH, Mueang Na, Chiang Dao District, Chiang Mai 50170, Thailand

Myself & Armin have both had negative experiences by trouble making staff at that checkpoint decades ago.
It has always been notorious for rough strong arm intimidating tactics.
My last experience, a drunk soldier started shoving me around & forcefully tried to remove my helmet, whilst still sitting on the bike!
I stood my ground, & back tracked to the army camp base in Arunothai & spoke to the camp commander.

I thought I wrote my story up on GTR, but cannot find it now.
It was a while back.

Some reports on the murder of at the 17-year old boy at that checkpoint.

Last edited: