125cc is it big enough

jaymic

Aug 17, 2012
I want to travel around thai,not in a hurry have plenty of time, would a hire bike (or might buy one) of 125cc be ok to get around with,any comment would be appreciated many thanks John

Oct 17, 2006
I know a guy who regularly ride his honda PCX from pattaya to udonThani with his wife thats a 135cc

KenYam

Nov 2, 2007
Hi Jaymic
You can hire many types of bikes so I suppose its up to your budget, physical size, weight and your required comfort levels.
Sure you can ride a 125 Wave anywhere but your going to have a sore bum and get there a lot slower but it is achievable.

I would suggest if your above 1.8 metres and weight over 95Kg's get something bigger for comfort say a cbr250 or other 250cc for hire.

Cheers Ken F.

Apr 23, 2006
Honda Wave 125 should suit your requirements - Capt. Slash went all over Thailand on one some years ago. For extra comfort you could hire a Honda PCX if one is available.

KZ25

Nov 19, 2011
Some people do it on a bicycle!
If you have the money a KLX250 or D-Tracker would be a good way to go.
I've had Honda Waves for years but since my first Yamaha Nouvo I'm an automatic fan! No more Waves, ever! The 135cc Nouvo has more power, better acceleration, higher top speed and no more shifting. Also more storage space and you don't get wet feet when the surface is wet.
The PCX 125 or new 150 I don't like because the seating position is too upright and it's a scooter with small wheels.
The Nouvo has the same seating position as a Wave, 16" wheels and looks more like a motorcycle.

Aug 3, 2012
Jaymic,
I have a Kawasaki 125 D-Tracker and ride 3-400 km in a day. 300+ Km per tankfull. And I tend to blend a bit with the local traffic rather than try to pass everybody. (Impossible anyway)! Cruise at about 75Km/Hr. Only real problem is the bloody seat. I have had it modified (wider) but is still hard on the backside: I plan to fit a different seat of modify the existing one further. Otherwise it is a fun ride with good tyre size, good suspensionn and brakes. Could do with a bit more power (we bikers are always want more power!) and slightly higher gearing but it is a fun bike.
Cheers and happy, safe riding.
Vic (AKA: Ah Boon)

KZ25

Nov 19, 2011
Vic Alborn;281863 wrote: Jaymic,
...good tyre size, good suspensionn and brakes. Could do with a bit more power...
I prefer the looks of the Tracker but since it's so small I'd go with the KLX in this case. The 144cc version should have a bit more power.

Rod Page

Subscribed
Jan 7, 2010
I've been following this with interest - not sure the 144cc is street registerable, though maybe it is nowadays?

I'm a Sonic man - these have the best performance of anything in the range & they will go anywhere & go forever. There's no need to change the seat, as a Honda they can be repaired & serviced anywhere & there's no problem to re-sell.

If you are starting from BKK do yourself a favour & head down to Manheim's mid-week auction & you'll get one for half price & not loose a cent on resale.

Aug 3, 2012
I am 5'11" and weigh 80Kg and the relatively small size of the D-Tracker has never been a problem for me. If most of the journey is on highways/byways/gravel roads I think the D-Tracker is a better choice. The KLX may have a better resale value as a trail/off-roader although the D-Tracker is still a good compromise vis-a-vis road/off-road/trail. The bigger engined D-tracker is now for sale in Thailand so I guess they are legal. (I don't know about the 144cc KLX). However, in Jamic's case, I think Rod Page gives the best advice.
Cheers,
Vic (AKA: Ah Boon)

Rod Page

Subscribed
Jan 7, 2010
Vic's point is valid in that we dont have your (Jaymic) size/build information. What I can say is that I'm a tick over 6'3" with the weight to match. As is known to readers I have ridden many miles throughout Thailand over a 3 year period. During that time I was on a D-tracker 250cc & was accompanied by my wife on a Sonic.

In all those travels & despite giving the Sonic some 30kls all up, my wife would flog me on the straight & downhill through the bends (many would say that it simply reflects our relative ability, but the sonic is a quality act!)

From memory Ron Webb wrote a report about a number of riders on 650+ bikes passing a Sonic with 2 hill-tribe chaps up on an uphill straight only to see the Sonic repass them (2 up) through the bends on the next downward leg.

Do yourself a favour, grab a Sonic & get an added blast out of your trip.

KZ25

Nov 19, 2011
Kawasaki is selling the KLX and the Tracker with the 144cc engine from the off-road version and call them "150".
One reason why I wouldn't buy a Sonic is that it's carburated, as far as I know. Otherwise it's not a bad bike.

Aug 3, 2012
Rod,
For my personnal information (not Jasmic's question), I see there is a 2012 model (Super) Sonic in Hondas line-up but I don't know if the 2012 is available in Thailand? I am currently in Penang but due back in Phuket next month so will make some inquiries then. I have never ridden one but often looked at them thinking they are a clever answer to the scooter/small motorcycle need. Particularly as the versions I have seen have had a manual clutch (which I prefer). I will be interested to see if these late models are available.
Cheers,
Vic/Ah Boon

jaymic

Aug 17, 2012
thanks for all the info guys ,out of interest I'm 5-9" and 83 kg need a bike that can be sorted on the road so a couple good ideas there for me ,as I'm new to useing a bike ,only had a trial so far but really looking forward to getting out there( I know how to put fuel in and thats about it ,but doing a one day course before traveling,again thanks John

daewoo

Dec 6, 2005
Lots of people assume that life is easier on a smaller bike... I don't think it is... I wouldn't recommend anything smaller than an XR250...

KZ25

Nov 19, 2011
If you just want to travel the backroads and see much of Thailand a small bike should do. I enjoy puttering around with 60-70 km/h on my Nouvo 135. I like the automatic, I can ride with one hand on the gas, no clutching and shifting. It has a top speed of about 100 km/h (speedo says 110) if you're in a hurry, it has a big seat with storage underneath, 16" wheels and is very easy to handle and also economic.
For a beginner it's ideal!

jaymic

Aug 17, 2012
thanks ,, is the nouve a bike that I would be able to get repaired if I were to break down,the captain said the honda wve was one that all thais would be able to sort out as they mostly brought up on them ,I also would like an auto,cheers again guys

Aug 3, 2012
jaymic;281932 wrote: thanks ,, is the nouve a bike that I would be able to get repaired if I were to break down,the captain said the honda wve was one that all thais would be able to sort out as they mostly brought up on them ,I also would like an auto,cheers again guys
Yes - common in Thailand

Jul 3, 2012
I am 6'2" 210lbs and I drive around on a Chinese made 125cc underbone all the time. I even took a 2600km trip around Myanmar/Burma on it with my dad(he was on his own bike of course). What I like is that these bikes are that they are the most common type of bike on the road and parts/repairs are easy for any local village mechanic.

KZ25

Nov 19, 2011
What I like about the Japanese bikes is that they don't need repairs! I bought a Wave 110 in 2001 and sold it nine years later, with over 65,000km on the clock (the speedo didn't work anymore because the bike was totally submerged in a flood once) and it gave me trouble only once - it didn't start. I replaced the spark plug and it ran again.
I put it up for sale, hoping to get 10,000 THB for it and was surprised about all the responses; one guy was actually mad because I didn't sell it to him.
The best 1,000 bucks I ever spent!

jaymic

Aug 17, 2012
Hi Guys ,Thanks very much for all the info,really appreciate all the advice,will be in thai 8th october,rent a bike for a few days so can search around for what I want ,as soon as I hit the road I will be in touch once I have an idea what way I will be starting ,actually be leaving from Hua hin up to kanchanaburi but from there is where I will be looking for help,was thinking of flying up to cm and buying a bike there and working my way back to base ,hua hin we have a house there,but not sure as of yet,got a few weeks to make up my mind,, once again many thanks all, be safe ,,, John

KZ25

Nov 19, 2011
John, I got two Nouvo 135, 2009 and 2010, and a 2011 CBR150R - one has to go! If you're interested contact me, I'm in Songkhla.