1D Road from Pak Ha to Phonsavan

Discussion in 'Accommodation - Laos' started by rcm273, Oct 3, 2015.

1. rcm273

rcm273 Ol'Timer

What an great road ! There are several hydro schemes along this road, and as follows, guesthouses and restaurants on this fresh tarmac close to the Thakek loop.

[​IMG]

More details on the road here ...

[​IMG]

There are some adventures to be had in this area for sure.

At  N18.51817 E104.44617 there is a x-roads that reaches all the way to the Vietnam border, along the road there are traditional iron suspension bridges and resettlement projects.

2. Loading...

3. rcm273

rcm273 Ol'Timer

A fairly new place, there were a few Lao NGO customers, and some building contractor managers in the air-con rooms, which I guess explains the inflated price, of over 100,000 kip.

The fan room was perfectly, fine for 70,000 kip. The manager friendly enough, his wife came around and asked me what I had bought for dinner and that I could help myself to coffee in the morning. She saw my cooking equipment and didnt mind.

Everything in the room was clean and new-ish, the fan quiet.

[​IMG]

Not a bad place if you ride up from Paksan or Thakhek and don't want to make it all the way to Phonsavan. I liked the linear town, there is a little market, a fair few restaurants, BBQ stalls and little shops, that you can find whatever you want to survive the night quite easily.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

N19.00926 E103.58948

4. brian_bkk

brian_bkk Ol'Timer Staff Member

Good choice.. We stumbled across that place too.  A bit delayed as flooding and landslide nearby

5. rcm273

rcm273 Ol'Timer

Lol .. I just took all the data from my etrex and put it on basecamp, which is loaded with OSM.
    I saw it on the OSM map, I was like "?? who the .. thought about putting this little resort on OSM"
    Small world, must have been you, Brian.

6. rcm273

rcm273 Ol'Timer

Just a little bit further towards the Pakxan turnoff, at N18.96492 E103.62566 I stopped to check the price of a room.

The bungalows were situated at the top of a rough track, as I had just tried and failed to negotiate the Pakxan road, I didn't feel like negotiating another loose rutted slope, possibly in the dark.

The rooms again were over 100,000 kip with AC but they had a cheaper AC room at 80,000 kip. There is a restaurant there too.

The people were really friendly, when I explained I just needed a bed and somewhere to make a cup of tea, they were really understanding and friendly. So, I thought it deserved a mention, although I forget the name of the place.

7. DavidFL

DavidFL Administrator Staff Member

Thanks for this. It looks like a top road & ride to put on the Lao hit list of places to go.