3mm thick aluminium sheet for skid plate

Aug 8, 2012
Hi Guys,
Can anybody help me source some 3mm aluminium sheet to fabricate a skid plate for my Suzuki 650 V-Strom. I am in Buriram and looking preferably for a decent size off cut but happy to buy a full sheet if the price and postage is right. Any help appriciated.

Cheers

Alan

Dec 27, 2007
alanr1610;297563 wrote: Hi Guys,
Can anybody help me source some 3mm aluminium sheet to fabricate a skid plate for my Suzuki 650 V-Strom. I am in Buriram and looking preferably for a decent size off cut but happy to buy a full sheet if the price and postage is right. Any help appriciated.

Cheers

Alan

There's a street in Chinatown here in Bangkok that sells all kinds of aluminum; blocks, sheets, rolls, you name it! Give me a rough idea how big a sheet you need and I'll be happy to get a quote next time I'm down there. Personally, while Aluminum is lighter, I've found that for bash plates steel can take a heck of a lot more abuse without cracking. Aluminum isn't as strong and it's more brittle and will crack eventually, especially if it's taking hits in the same place (which bash plates usually do).

Aug 8, 2012
Hi Tony,
About 1m x 1m would do the job fine. I take on board what you are saying about alloy verses steel but this bike will not be getting the abuse an outright off roader would get. Its more to protect the oil filter from possible strikes etc.
If you can get a price and contact details that would be fantastic.

Many thanks

Jun 15, 2011
Alan, a lot of people we know over our way use a steel stockholder on the Satuk road out of Buriram somewhere near to the railway crossing. I can't say if he stocks aluminium but it would only be a short ride for you to locate him ( that's if anyone can be a bit more helpful with the exact location ). It could also be worth a trip to your local recycling centre aka scrapyard -- I'll check at our local one because they often keep items like this for resale.