A sunny days ride from Pai to Fang via Wiang Haeng.

Discussion in 'Northern Thailand - Road Trip Reports' started by Moto-Rex, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Moto-Rex

Moto-Rex Ol'Timer

Pai to Fang via Wiang Haeng.

Great dirt and tar ride that has plenty of things to see along the way.

The way.
    [​IMG]

There’s a few steep hills as the profile shows.
    [​IMG]

This river follows the road for a few kilometres just north of Pai. To get on to this road you need to turn left just over the bridge that leads out of Pai.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Good to see there’s a bit of English at the junction to help work out which way to go.
    [​IMG]

Same junction a few years ago on my first trip, where the only English text was on the trusty GT-Rider map.
    [​IMG]

Start of the dirt where you could choose between the river or the bridge.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nice through here.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I reckon the track to the first army check point at Hua Pai is the best jungle Ive seen in Thailand.
    [​IMG]

Great cool sunny day, with plenty of shade, made it prefect for riding.
    [​IMG]

The first of four Army post/check points for the day. I was stopped at each check point and asked where I was going. They were all friendly enough. Twelve kilometres beyond this check point is the Myanmar border, but your not allowed to go past this gate.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A temple at Ban Kong Lom where the dirt ends, and the tar starts.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I arrived in Wiang Haeng around lunch time and spotted this little restaurant which looked to be a great place to stop, as long as you weren’t a chicken.
    [​IMG]

I went for the rice which was very nice.
    [​IMG]

After lunch I headed of to the Thai/Myanmar border at Lak Taeng.

The KLX parked right on the border just a stones throw from the Wat Fa Weang In.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looking across from the Wat, you can see the fortified border, and the Burmese army’s bucker.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back on the road to Fang.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From Chong to Muang Nga, the road is full of sharp edged potholes, but still a good ride.
    [​IMG]

Chinese new year was in full swing, and this trader in Arunothai was busy selling all things red.
    [​IMG]

It was getting late so gave riding to Fang via Doi Ang Khang a miss, and instead rode to Chai Phakarn, then straight up the hwy.
    [​IMG]

The next morning at my favourite breakfast spot in Fang next to the post office.
    [​IMG]

Its was a good ride…but there all good. Would like to stay a night in Wiang Haeng for a night one day as it’s a nice little town, same could be said for Arunothai.

Moto-Rex

2. Loading...

3. Ian Bungy

Ian Bungy Ol'Timer

That's a Great Ride from Pai. Looks like the Trail has improved a bit since I did it last! Nice Photo's Rex!

4. Rod Page

Rod Page Ol'Timer

Moto-Rex,

Great ride; great report.

Bungy put me onto some of the wonders out there in the area you've covered in your report. It's a great area to ride & whilst apologising for dropping a link onto your site I think it adds interest from an historical, from a pictorial point of view, so here's a link - http://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorcycle-forum/showthread.php/34486-A-Dirty-Affair - to my report covering the first section of your thread; it's intriguing how many similar shots we took!

A further link with the same thoughts in mind for the next part of your report - http://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorcycle-forum/showthread.php/34463-The-quot-Chong-Loop-quot

Keep those beefy reports of yours flowing.

5. brian_bkk

brian_bkk Ol'Timer

Another ripper report with fantastic photo's Moto-Rex.

Looks like you found Ned Kelly's final resting place too..

[​IMG]

6. TonyBKK

TonyBKK Ol'Timer

Nice one Rex! :thumbup:

I have still not been to Wiang Haeng- gotta put it on my short list!!

7. Oddvar

Oddvar Ol'Timer

Tony.
    It is a new 7-11 in Wiang Haeng. So no reason to delay the trip..
    Beutiful area. Thanks Rex for the report.

8. DavidFL

DavidFL Administrator Staff Member

Yeehar great little report & ride there Rex.
    The Pai - Wiang haeng road has always been one of the more out of the way rides, that not that many people do.
    And I have to admit to not going out there for years 1992! Oops.
    Last time I was out there it was like this

[​IMG]