Best Duel Purpose Bike??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wake_The_Lion

Aug 15, 2016
USA
New member here! I'm taking some time off and will be spending some real time in Indochina. I am curious to what bikes make the best duel purpose bikes. I need something comfortable for long distance, yet still capable of some of the rougher roads I may come across. I don't plan on doing any extreme trail riding, however, I don't want to have to avoid the nasty roads/trails.

I'm 29 and have been riding since I was 9. I'm still young, however riding has put some damage on my body. Broken back, broken neck, destroyed ankle ect ect. Whatever I find has to be comfortable for long distance. I'm a Harley guy now, and rode sport bikes and dirt bikes when I was younger. But I have no duel purpose experience. I was thinking the BMW 650GS, or the Kawasaki Vrsys. Any input on these bikes or suggestions on other good duel purpose???

Nov 2, 2008
New member here! I'm taking some time off and will be spending some real time in Indochina. I am curious to what bikes make the best duel purpose bikes. I need something comfortable for long distance, yet still capable of some of the rougher roads I may come across. I don't plan on doing any extreme trail riding, however, I don't want to have to avoid the nasty roads/trails.

I'm 29 and have been riding since I was 9. I'm still young, however riding has put some damage on my body. Broken back, broken neck, destroyed ankle ect ect. Whatever I find has to be comfortable for long distance. I'm a Harley guy now, and rode sport bikes and dirt bikes when I was younger. But I have no duel purpose experience. I was thinking the BMW 650GS, or the Kawasaki Vrsys. Any input on these bikes or suggestions on other good duel purpose???

I'll pitch in here as I currently am waiting on a Honda AF CRF1000L, and my biggest concern is those nasty roads and trails in remote areas that I will want to explore on it. It's a heavy bike, I've even had a chance to lift one up in the showroom with empty panniers and found that quite easy. But I am concerned about muscling over obstacles those remote locations. I have had a vast number of small motorcycles since my childhood and have the confidence on them.

The BMW F700 gs has a 19" front wheel well the F800 gs has a 21" wheel, The Versys is 17", don't forget the V-strom with a 19" front wheel. All comfortable bikes, heavy, but I do like how the larger wheels increase comfort over long distance on a rough road. Have you considered the light 250 motorbikes, such as the Honda CRF250l and the Kaw KLX250s? I've beaten my body also when I was young, though to not such the degree of breaks you've listed - ouch, and find the small bikes may not have the comfort, ride, and weight that is so nice over long smoooth distance on the large bikes, BUT the light machine with it's high travel suspension need so much less effort to run over trails with.

Nobody has an idea of which bike is perfect you, or how much offroad you'll do; you might take your planned tour on a Harley or a used Honda scooter and still have a absolutely fantastic trip. My advice is only different than some riders in that after years in Thailand I kept wanting smaller bikes for the riding, yet now in Northern Canada want larger as distance are vast and even the offroad areas can be well maintained. Even if money wasn't an issue, I would still choose a 250 for exploring Laos; roads are pretty bad often enough, I want to drive slow and savior my surroundings, plenty of things to avoid and sometimes suddenly so, and often awkward areas to ride through or over are just part of your day. I'm comfortably able to ride my 250's up and down stairs, but would consider that too risky on 650 or larger bike for example.

Have fun with your choice!

Reactions: Alamo and hs0zfe

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
I'm not sure if you're settled in chiang mai yet, but the best thing you can do is rent a few bikes & see how you feel.
So a 250 trail bike, a Honda 500X, a Kawasaki Versys, a Suzuki VStrom, a BMW 800, a Yamaha MT; then see how you feel.
There's no perfect bike that does it all.
At the end of the day it's what you feel most comfortable on + what you enjoy the most.
Kevin's comments are pretty good + valid.
You just need to test a few bikes.
My vote of course would be the VStrom 650 + 250 trail bike.
But everybody is different.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alamo
Mar 30, 2010
KLX 250
300 CC Big Bore Kit
Ohlins Suspension
IMS large fuel tank
Change the handlebars.. They will bend on your first crash.

Giant Loop bag much better than strapping a bag on up high on the back.
Sidi Adventure Boots that allow you to get off and walk around. but still giving you good protection.

Every time I have gone to Lao on my Versys.. I wished I was on my KLX so I could go up some trail and check it out.
You just can't do it on the bigger bikes. Plus the roads can be rough and potholed to hell after the rainy season.

I have not done this.. But if you think you will do long trips on the road.
Then make your stock seat more comfortable.

If you are moving here and want the best of both.
Then get two bikes..

Touring road centric bike and a dual purpose bike.

Cheers
Brian

ianyonok

Subscribed
Dec 9, 2008
Agree with all the above.
But if I had to chose only one bike, it would be a KLX250. Change the seat for something wider and fit Ohlins suspension and the machine will be transformed. Then you can explore almost anywhere. It is a bit heavy, tall and tiring on the mountain trails sometimes. Anything bigger would be too much. But it is just about big enough for long distance touring, one up.
Bigger bore and tank if you need them.
Unfortunately, it's just a fact that you will miss a lot of the best parts with a road bike.

Mar 30, 2010
Agree with all the above.
But if I had to chose only one bike, it would be a KLX250. Change the seat for something wider and fit Ohlins suspension and the machine will be transformed. Then you can explore almost anywhere. It is a bit heavy, tall and tiring on the mountain trails sometimes. Anything bigger would be too much. But it is just about big enough for long distance touring, one up.
Bigger bore and tank if you need them.
Unfortunately, it's just a fact that you will miss a lot of the best parts with a road bike.

Here is a link which I pretty much agree with..
With regards to KLX V CRF

Honda CRF250L Vs Kawasaki KLX250S | Ride Expeditions

Couple of key points.

The CRF suspension is crap.. Can't be adjusted.
At least even if you don't go for the Ohlins.. You can adjust the KLX suspension for extra gear on the back.

The CRF weight is approx 10 kg heavier. Well.. You may say. that isn't much.
Until you pick it up a couple of times and struggling at a spot you didn't expect.

This is personal preference.. But when I sit on the CRF.. I feel like I am on a road bike.
Perched up high like on the Versys.. On the KLX I feel more at one with the bike..

On the road the CRF feels better.. to me on the dirt the KLX feel better.

The engine in the CRF does feel superior.. where as the KLX is older tried and tested.

So I guess really depends on how much road and dirt you will do.

A couple of friends that run tour business said to me.. The KLX is a better made bike.
They buy the CRF because of the price difference.

Another bummer on the KLX.. Getting spares..
Seems like you always have to order them and wait.
For certain things you can carry spares on the trip anyway. But it is a pain some times.

Cheers
Brian

Aug 13, 2007
Thailand
If your looking at the BMW 650 then consider the Triumph Tiger 800 XCx. I've got 32,000km on mine now and love it. It's a bit more top heavy than the BMW 800 but its way more fun to ride and the XCx suspension is a real luxury on Thailand's roads.

Cheers,
Dwayne.

Dec 1, 2013

get a Honda CRF250L about 135,000 Baht. If you're new to riding in SE Asia and are happy to cruse back roads 90kph is fast enough. Going slowly keeps you alive so my recommendation is this bike it's made in Thailand and can be serviced easily and cheaply just about anywhere.
IMG_0592-XL.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0592-XL.jpg
    IMG_0592-XL.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 118
Reactions: Alamo and Nomade

canthai

Subscribed
Apr 8, 2015
Been a Biker all my life. Road legal since 1968. Have a Dyna, CB650, and just bought a CRF250M. My take - if I ride back down to Singapore - Dyna for sure. CNX to BKK/Pattaya/Trat - CB650. I live near Doi Saket - mountains start at my back door. And I find taking the 250 more and more - access the beat up roads, gravel OK, mud/sand only when it's dry. My body beat to death too - expecially my RH Sportster knee. That Damn Ironhead !!! Hi from a fellow Northern Canadian - !!

Apr 2, 2008
Phuket
www.bmwoverlander.com
Best dual purpose bikes are BMW GS series, KTM and Triumph Tiger, period. If price and weight don't matter consider one of these 3.
Otherwise go for lighter options such as New Africa Twin, Versys 650 or Vstrom.

Off-road or paved road with proper dp tires you gonna love it.
Here you can see 2xGSA Adv and Triumph Tiger. Both GSA's on TKC 80 and Karoo 3 60/40 tyres, effortlessly going thru corners at higher speed. Filmed at Lam Ru National Park, Khao Lak.

Last edited:

canthai

Subscribed
Apr 8, 2015
I don't get this whole Adventure bike thing ? Do people expect to do much offroad with a 200kg bike ? Gravel and dirt roads maybe - if not too many ruts and potholes. And how maneuverable are they with those huge aluminum boxes stuck on the sides ? Lane splitting on the hiway ? Just can not see the practicality. Want a road bike - buy a road bike. Watch Long Way Round and see how well the GS performed offroad. On poor roads - OK. Want a dirt bike - buy a dirt bike.

Feb 23, 2014
the "Adventure" bike thing has become a huge trend/biz in the last decade.. taking a 1200GravelSport out to the woods/mountains will just make u work triple,(if u get to the top without scratches etc..to say the least) the original enduro were between 400/750cc which is already plenty off rd..(just think the Dakar today has a 450cc limit!

the new AT is 1000cc and did turn me off when the specs came out..although is a great bike very capable off rd ,the weight masterfully divided,infact feels lighter then 230kgs,and in a totally different category from Versys/Vstrom 650 .as someone mentioned before (?) pricewise n performance .
Vstrom an ecxellent touring bike, but definetly not a DR650 and heavy off rd. (I had one too)

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2010
I do have to agree.. Unless you are a pro rider.
Anything over 200kg will be tough..

Of course it can be done.. BUT.. I know I would rather be on my mighty KLX...
Go any where. Drop it with gear attached and pick it up.
Most importantly, When you are away and remote.. Reliable..

( Of course there are many other models out there.. Basing this on reasonable cost and easy to buy spares in Thailand. Not waiting for weeks or months for parts to be shipped in )

Anything more extreme then I think you are really looking at Enduro bikes..

KLX 300 and KTM 950 Adventure in Southern Lao.

New Africa Twin a big turn off based on weight alone..

Cheers
Brian

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
I don't get this whole Adventure bike thing ? Do people expect to do much offroad with a 200kg bike ? Gravel and dirt roads maybe - if not too many ruts and potholes. And how maneuverable are they with those huge aluminum boxes stuck on the sides ? Lane splitting on the hiway ? Just can not see the practicality. Want a road bike - buy a road bike. Watch Long Way Round and see how well the GS performed offroad. On poor roads - OK. Want a dirt bike - buy a dirt bike.

The definition of ADVENTURE is open to interpretation I guess & it will depend of each person's standard.
Just getting out of bed can be an adventure for some, but scaling Everest might just be another day at the office for some.
But yeah for me, generally the smaller the better for here.
However, everyone can please themselves.
The deciding factor could well be how good is the rider.

Reactions: brian_bkk
Mar 30, 2010
In Jim's case. riding the ktm 950 adventure bike. he would rather be on his xr 650.

The bigger guys with 100 kg up weight then gear on the back do not find the crf and klx fun when up to 130 140 kg

I would not consider most of the riding we do in Lao for example extreme. but if you look at most bikes on the more fun and difficult trails they are dual purpose klx crf xr etc. imagine being on your own, dropping 230 plus kg on the side of a mountain.
When ever I have gone to Lao on my versys ( touring bike) always wish I was on the klx giving more options to ride up trails.

My two cents worth for Lao in general. then occasionally you hit the unexpected technic track, wash out, ferry crossing where only lighter bikes can make it.

Oddvar

Subscribed
Mar 18, 2013
The smalest bike that will do the job is the one I choose for that particular ride. Normally not an impressive bike at the gas station or at the coffee shop.
Adventure is not knowing what's around the next corner.

Reactions: brian_bkk and Alamo

Alamo

Subscribed
Nov 6, 2014

Service for BMW bikes here is very hard to find.

Alamo

Subscribed
Nov 6, 2014
In Jim's case. riding the ktm 950 adventure bike. he would rather be on his xr 650.

The bigger guys with 100 kg up weight then gear on the back do not find the crf and klx fun when up to 130 140 kg

I would not consider most of the riding we do in Lao for example extreme. but if you look at most bikes on the more fun and difficult trails they are dual purpose klx crf xr etc. imagine being on your own, dropping 230 plus kg on the side of a mountain.
When ever I have gone to Lao on my versys ( touring bike) always wish I was on the klx giving more options to ride up trails.

My two cents worth for Lao in general. then occasionally you hit the unexpected technic track, wash out, ferry crossing where only lighter bikes can make it.

Reactions: Oddvar

Alamo

Subscribed
Nov 6, 2014
Agree.
Dropped KLR650 on gnarly mountain trails too many times.
Solo.
Less is more.
KLX CFR too tall for this coot.
Prefer cheap 200cc now.
Lifan 200.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.