Bike Licences For Thailand

Discussion in 'New Users' started by Wild Bill, May 8, 2017.

  1. Wild Bill

    Wild Bill New Member

    Hi all

    Been a while since I have been on here. Looking to spend a year in Chiang Mai from Oct and want to get out on a few adventures on a big bike. What licence will I need to have to be legal? I will have an non-imm B visa, so could potentially get a Thai licence? Alternatively would a UK bike licence and a international permit from the UK Post Office also do?


  2. Loading...

  3. brian_bkk

    brian_bkk Ol'Timer Staff Member

    Hi Will,

    You have a limited time on International Licence (3 months).. Before you would need to legally get a Thai licence.

    More info here.
    How to get a Thai drivers license

    As you will be on a Non B.. Just get the Thai licence as soon as you can.
    Avoids any potential issues down the track.. Plus you can use the Thai licence as ID in many cases.
    Though the days of getting the cheaper rate at the National Parks with Thai licence are gone.

    DavidFL likes this.
  4. DavidFL

    DavidFL Administrator Staff Member

    Agreed, better to get the Thai licence asap.
    The licensing is toughening up all the time, so get one while it's not that difficult & you can.
  5. bradmeister

    bradmeister Member

    Hey Wild Bill,
    As my forum members have indicated above: It's not a quick trip to the Land and Transportation Department and have a Nice Day Anymore.....

    If you're hangin out with us for about a year, then yes, it's a good idea to have one.... It beats walking and riding around with your Passport on you, as it is a National Identification and can be used at Hotel stays in most of Thailand.

    Having said that: You have two paths to take: 1. Run by your Embassy and have a notorized letter stating that you have a lease and are working, touring or retired in Thailand. 2. Vistit the closest Thai Immigration office and for a whopping 700baht they will inspect/examine your lease. Passport and grant you authorization for The Land and Transportation Department to test and issue a One Year Thai Drivers License. Yes, I said TEST. So, bone up on your Thai Language if you will be staying out in remote provinces. Chang Mai should be no problem..... Many English speaking nationalities.

    A drivers license from another country or the preverbial "International Drivers" typically will not impress them.... In Bangkok anyway...and make sure you have 5 copies of the 3 forementioned Documents.

    Best of Luck !!!
  6. blackb15

    blackb15 Ol'Timer

    I may have missed some think but a uk international driving licence last for 1 year I got checked a lot in Chiang Mai and other parts of Thailand and the police seemed fine with it
    Safe riding
  7. Peeto

    Peeto Active Member

    This changed already.
    You get 2 Years.

    You are talking about Cof. Certificate of residence.
    Basically it is free of charge.
    But some Immigrations take money for it.
    In Pattaya it is a bargain. Only 200 Thb.
    But you need 2 if you want to obtain driving license for bike and car.
  8. Wild Bill

    Wild Bill New Member

    So basically I just go to immigration with my passport, visa and UK Licence and 700Baht and I will get a two year driving licence issued? Will this allow me to ride bikes as well as cars too?
  9. Peeto

    Peeto Active Member

    The license you don't get at the immigration.
    There you get only the certificate of residence what is needed to obtain a driver license at The Land and Transportation Department.
    And now there is a hassle with international driver license.
    Thailand accept only IDP from 1949 Convention signed in Geneva.
    If the UK don't give you the right one you need a translation of your national license from your embassy.
    In Thailand you need 2 different licenses for car and bike.
    It is not on the same license.

    Last edited: May 18, 2017 at 8:23 AM

Share This Page