Brembo Brakes: To install or not

Jan 30, 2014
I have the opportunity to install a set of Brembo brake callipers on my 2011 Kawasaki Versys. I would need to have some adapters made up so that they can be installed and the callipers are second hand. Granted this the total would be about 9000 THB for the lot and the callipers are in good shape.
New Brembo goes for about 13,000 to 18,000 THB. I am tempted to have them, I'm not interested in modifications that have no real application ie: carbon fibre tank guards etc. The Brembos are supposed to be a better braking system and would simply I guess make the bike safer as I can break harder and if need be sooner. Granted I have ABS already.

Are they worth the trouble and money?
Or are the stock brake more than enough?

I've always wanted some Brembos on a bike and now I have the chance.

But I need good reason.

Help

Jan 30, 2014
I have the opportunity to install a set of Brembo brake callipers on my 2011 Kawasaki Versys. I would need to have some adapters made up so that they can be installed and the callipers are second hand. Granted this the total would be about 9000 THB for the lot and the callipers are in good shape.
New Brembo goes for about 13,000 to 18,000 THB. I am tempted to have them, I'm not interested in modifications that have no real application ie: carbon fibre tank guards etc. The Brembos are supposed to be a better braking system and would simply I guess make the bike safer as I can break harder and if need be sooner. Granted I have ABS already.

Are they worth the trouble and money?
Or are the stock brake more than enough?

I've always wanted some Brembos on a bike and now I have the chance.

But I need good reason.

Help

Apr 16, 2011
I have just fitted some front brembo caliper to my versys today. I got then through a shop here in khon kaen, they were able to get the correct mounting brackets, so far I am very happy but I have a ride to chiang mai so I will report on how the perform. I paid 13500 for the calipers and 5000 for the brackets. I believe that they are not copies as the price is about the same as a set from the states and on eBay. The original master cylinder work fine with the up grade.

Cheers
Grubman

Aug 29, 2011
There is always a high chance that you are buying fake counterfeit parts! The Chinese are faking whole cars now & putting their own badges on them, they are also copying high end OEM car & motorcycle parts plus the expensive big name aftermarket parts.

I have read on a few forums from guys complaining about buying fake Brembo parts in the US, that usually originate from China & Thailand!

Be careful, it's very hard to tell the difference!

Feb 5, 2007
Presumably you are thinking of Brembo radial calipers

It is common in Thailand to see Brembo???? radial calipers mounted on this ill conceived bracket. If the goal is better brakes then you need to give some thought as to why radial brakes are better than a conventional axial caliper design. The answer is that radial calipers are mounted in the same plane as the rotor and therefore are less prone to flex under hard use. As you say one can buy a bracket in Thailand to mount a radial caliper in place of the axial unit, using the same axial mounting bolts. Any advantage of the radial design is negated by using the axial mount. No offense intended, but this is a shoddy bodge at best and cheesy bling for those that do not understand the advantages of a radial caliper.

The radial calipers are only part of the equation, and this needs to viewed as a system rather than just new calipers. To some extent it is simple hydraulics and you are going from 2 pistons pushed by a 14mm master cylinder piston, to 4 pistons. More piston area to move = a bigger piston to push them. While the stock MC will "work" it is not ideal and undersized. You need a 19mm radial master cylinder in order to gain the "feel" and ability to modulate the brakes under hard use.
If you want the stock look get a Nissin MC of a Z1000 or better yet a Brembo unit.

Needless to say EBC-HH pads are a must

If you are really set on radial calipers, here is how to do it right
https://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorcycle-forum/showthread.php/39538-versys-radial-brake-mod-and-more

If you just want better brakes, it would be far cheaper, and a great improvement to use a Nissin opposed piston axial (conventional style) caliper in place of the stock Versys unit c/w a radial master cylinder and Tim has done this on his ER and still has a couple of brackets.

Feb 5, 2007
there are 2 threads on this subject and this one needs to be ended or merged into the other

Dec 27, 2007
In my humble opinion your money would be better spent on putting better pads in the existing calipers and upgrading to steel brake lines.

Brembo calipers look flash but are just one part of your brake system. You also need to think about lines, pads, discs, master cylinder and tires. Brembo calipers by themselves will not make you brake harder or faster, but they may well give you better feel at the lever.