Carburators and rectifier of Honda CB1: what's the heck?

gobs

Feb 8, 2007
Hi friends!

Just to introduce: my CB1, for different reasons, has been parked for 2 or 3 months. At this time, it ran great after cleaning and tuning the carbs! And AGAIN, last week, didn't want to start. Battery, spark plugs, pump, and so on... all is OK! And, yes, I poured new gasoline 91 in the tank...
So, AGAIN, I had to check and clean the carbs! But even doing this: didn't want to start!.. This time I'm a little lost, but no matter: I'm going to check and check and check... And it will sart! I suppose...

Well...
1) I red and heard many "complains" about the carbs of the CB1, here and there through different forums and threads. It seems they are very "capricious"...
2) Same case for the rectifier (OK I've no problem with it untill now and I cross my fingers!): many "complains" about it. It blows "easily" without any warning... What I can say about it, is that, for sure, it (over)heats very much. I can't let my fingers on it (meaning it's over 50 or 60° Celcius!) if I touch it during a ride.

What are your thinkings about this? Your experiences, if so?
Is this trully specific to the CB1?
Or maybe these bikes beginning to be a little "old", their components grow old too (but what for the carbs?)?

I never got such a problem with any bike I owned until now! Some sounds of your sooooooooo gooooooooood advices?

Cheers
Gobs

mikerust

Subscribed
Nov 5, 2003
I don't know about carbs but Honda's are notoriuos for bad rectifiers. You could substitute a Yamaha one say from a scrap R1 or try a CBR 150 unit available off the shelf at Honda about 650 baht if memeory serves maybe a 1000 ? It should be OK unless you have a short or current leakage somewhere, which maybe why its getting hot in the first place.

If you need help on connection I can give you a link to a good site but can't remeber today.

gobs

Feb 8, 2007
Thanks Mike,

Good tip about the rectifier!

I talked recently, here in CNX, with a mechanics and he said to me that there are no particular problems on the CB1...
I'm not a professional, so maybe :roll:

Thanks again,
Cheers